Cold Face Mask?

Old December 7th 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom The Great

Default Cold Face Mask?

Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom
Old December 7th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

Get one of those neoprene ski masks.

Bill "and stay out of banks" S.

Old December 7th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Comnet

Tom,

Look at this site:

http://www.polarwrap.com/cat.html

I bought the ST/Sport and it works very well.

Dave

Old December 7th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

I always hate having my mouth and nose covered. I tried a neoprene mask
once but it got all wet and then iced up with condensation from my breath.

I just use a neck gaiter, hat, sometimes a hood, goggles, and the collar
of my jacket. That covers everything but my nose and mouth and works
pretty well for me down to about -15 0r -20 F. Any colder than that and
I just try not to be outside very long.

Matt
Old December 7th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

MattB wrote:
Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

I always hate having my mouth and nose covered. I tried a neoprene mask
once but it got all wet and then iced up with condensation from my breath.

I just use a neck gaiter, hat, sometimes a hood, goggles, and the collar
of my jacket. That covers everything but my nose and mouth and works
pretty well for me down to about -15 0r -20 F. Any colder than that and
I just try not to be outside very long.

Matt

I'm with you on the neoprene mask. I don't feel that I can breathe well
through them. Makes me a bit claustrophobic, too....

I use a cheapo neck gaiter. It's a thin, loosely-woven poly material
that hangs off my nose and doesn't make contact with my mouth unless
I'm riding into a wind. I'm able to breathe without feeling like I'm
sucking air through a filter, and it keeps enough of the wind off. It
will get damp and weighty after a while, though.

Fullface helmet work decently too....

/s

Old December 7th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

MattB wrote:
Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

I always hate having my mouth and nose covered. I tried a neoprene mask
once but it got all wet and then iced up with condensation from my breath.

word. i use one of those guys that has flexible material up over the
head and then a nice fuzzy neckwarmer. something like this:
http://www.us-parks.com/gear_details...ava_20677.html

the hat portion keeps the gaiter part positioned quite nicely, and
eliminates that gap between your beanie and your neck coverage.

cc
Old December 7th 06, 10:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Most motorcycle shops sell thin neoprene ski-maskish head/chin/neck
covers with an oval cutout for your eyes. They are very thin, as they
are intended to fit under a helmet that was snug to begin with. They
do a great job of covering the gap between your jacket & helmet, as I
don't find riding in a scarf to be overly practical. Not sure if this
will work for you, but at under $10 US it's worth a glance.

Dan

Old December 7th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

Try a thin cotton bandana tied around your neck like you're about to
hold up a stage coach. you can pull it up to breathe through, and I've
used that on longer rides around 20degf down to about 15. If that
aint 'nuff, I use a very thin balaclava that I can cover my moth with
or not depending on conditions. When it really gets tough, like under
10degf, and I'm out for a long time, I use a wool army face mask with
ski goggles, and a fleece neck gaiter.

CDB

Old December 8th 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Andy H

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

Do you not have "buffs" over thar? )

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

Works for me down to -6° plus windchill as tested last winter.

Andy H

Old December 8th 06, 07:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:48:06 -0800, Tom The Great wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

It doesn't get more sleek than this