Would you like the Govt to promote biking?

Old May 20th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Would you like the Govt to promote biking?

You know biking must be very low on their priority when you are honked
at, yelled at, pushed around and even spit at for doing the right
thing and riding a bike.

It could be another way, you know. Like cyclists getting respect --and
even admiration-- if one of our presidents spoke thus...

"My fellow Americans, in light of scarce oil as well as the threat of
Terrorism and Global Warming, the days of the hungry dinosaurs are
over. Yes, no more SUVs, starting with my own. Instead, we will go
back to the smartest, cleanest and simplest vehicle ever created: the
bike. You shouldn't look at it though as a sacrifice, but as the means
to enjoy more free time. Yes, you won't to work your life away to keep
a Stupid Unnecessry Vehicle. And to top if off, you can be as sexy as
me..."

And then the President rides off in his lycra suit... Well, the last
part may not be such a great idea, but the rest is. So do you agree
that the goverment can do more, far more, to make bicycling part of
the American landscape?

Here's what I would do if I ever were president...

"Bicycles should the first line of development, then public
transportation, then alternative vehicles..."

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
(beware of the lion)
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
Old May 21st 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]

You are even dumber than Bush and would make a horrible President.

His adviser will at least tell him that having everybody ride a bike will
both increase the consumption of oil to grow more food and will cause even
more problems than already exist in the world food supply.

You have been told this but since you are dumber than President Bush, you
still don't understand it.

He and his adviser will also see that the bike is totally worthless
transportation mode for most of the transportation capabilities needed by
the public. Bikes will then be a total failure. The worst thing that
can possibly happen to a politician. They will realize the stupidity of
trying to turn bikes into a major form of transportations.

Since you are considerably dumber than the President, it is obvious you have
no concept of what is required for a major mode of transportation.

Old May 21st 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On May 20, 11:54*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
[...]

Okay, make a list of the things this administration has done right and/
or well. Now, you want them to promote biking? Getting the
administration behind it would be a sure-fire way to make sure NO ONE
bikes.
Old May 21st 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
RicodJour

On May 20, 10:28 pm, "Jack May" wrote:

You are even dumber than Bush and would make a horrible President.

His adviser will at least tell him that having everybody ride a bike will
both increase the consumption of oil to grow more food and will cause even
more problems than already exist in the world food supply.

You don't know what a calorie is.
You don't recognize the equation F=MA.

He and his adviser will also see that the bike is totally worthless
transportation mode for most of the transportation capabilities needed by
the public. Bikes will then be a total failure. The worst thing that
can possibly happen to a politician. They will realize the stupidity of
trying to turn bikes into a major form of transportations.

You have never been to Holland.

Old May 21st 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You obviously don't believe it either, since you do exercise that is in
excess of what you have to do to minimally accomplish what you need to do in
a day. If you really believed it, you would sit absolutely still when not
required to move, so as not to stress the environment.

Old May 21st 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Jym Dyer

CommandanteBanana/DonQuixote/LoonProblem writes:

Here's what I would do if I ever were president...

=v= If you were President, the U.S. would annoy the U.K. very
much, if you inability to honor rudimentary Usenet courtesy is
any indications. (Followups NOT to uk.rec.cycling.)

Jack May writes:

His adviser will at least tell him that having everybody ride
a bike will both increase the consumption of oil to grow more
food and will cause even more problems than already exist in
the world food supply.

=v= I could imagine Bush's adviser saying such a thing. Bush's
advisers frequently say blitheringly idiotic things like that.
Jack May here clearly shows that he's qualifies for a job in the
lame duck Shrub Administration.
_Jym_

Old May 21st 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tadej Brezina

ComandanteBanana schrieb:
You know biking must be very low on their priority when you are honked
at, yelled at, pushed around and even spit at for doing the right
thing and riding a bike.

Actually a good sign for you, that you must do something right, if the
others, try to act as unfair as possible ... compare it to some ball
game or similar.

It could be another way, you know. Like cyclists getting respect --and
even admiration-- if one of our presidents spoke thus...

Presidential words wouldn't change a damn thing! At least not if spoken
only once!

"My fellow Americans, in light of scarce oil as well as the threat of
Terrorism and Global Warming, the days of the hungry dinosaurs are
over. Yes, no more SUVs, starting with my own. Instead, we will go
back to the smartest, cleanest and simplest vehicle ever created: the
bike. You shouldn't look at it though as a sacrifice, but as the means
to enjoy more free time. Yes, you won't to work your life away to keep
a Stupid Unnecessry Vehicle. And to top if off, you can be as sexy as
me..."

Haha, that's good for starters!
But only for the beginning. Regular (=every day) practise of habits like
that would bring firstly good PR for cycling and would change the
leader's point of view for good.

And then the President rides off in his lycra suit... Well, the last
part may not be such a great idea, but the rest is.

Why not?
She/he's a human with stinking farts and other necessities as every
other person, So why not lycra for increased cycling comfort instead of
trying to cycle in suit and tie.

So do you agree
that the goverment can do more, far more, to make bicycling part of
the American landscape?

Definitely!
Every government, except maybe the Danish or Dutch, they already have a
terrific cycling share of the modal split.

Here's what I would do if I ever were president...

"Bicycles should the first line of development, then public
transportation, then alternative vehicles..."

Almost perfect.
Put pedestrians first.
Tadej
--
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it.”
Old May 21st 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
A passing PFY

Jym Dyer wrote:
CommandanteBanana/DonQuixote/LoonProblem writes:

Here's what I would do if I ever were president...

=v= If you were President, the U.S. would annoy the U.K. very
much, if you inability to honor rudimentary Usenet courtesy is
any indications.

+1, Jym

If I were El Presidente, the *very* first thing I'd do would be to send the
OP to the camps for re-education.

With a cattle prod.

--
The Pimply-Faced Youth
LARTing lusers since, apparently, forever

Old May 21st 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tadej Brezina

Jack May schrieb:
[...]

Of course, if his/her adviser would be some of your ignorant
car-frenzied breed.
Your claims of cycling being less energy efficient than private
motorized transportation are not getting more true, even if you're
repeating them in a monotonous way. They have been proven to be
deliberately wrong by at least one order of magnitude in this newsgroup
here (a.p.u) at least twice in the recent past.
But I guess it's worthless to argue wit a person according to the one
described in the signature.
Your so called "research" to back up your ridiculous claims ist still
pending to be named by you.

You have been told this but since you are dumber than President Bush, you
still don't understand it.

Besides personal insults, you do not provide anything here.

He and his adviser will also see that the bike is totally worthless
transportation mode for most of the transportation capabilities needed by
the public. Bikes will then be a total failure. The worst thing that
can possibly happen to a politician. They will realize the stupidity of
trying to turn bikes into a major form of transportations.

Most transportation capabilities as far as I remember transport
inquiries in my country (EU, Austria) comprise of:
*) moving abt. one person (transporting goods not capable of being
transported with a bike due to bulkiness and weight amounts to abt.
10-15% of trips)
*) trip-lengths of 3-5 km length in more than 50% of the trips made.

The US-situation might not be as favourable as elsewhere due to sprawled
out city structure and wider distributed trip lengths. But not a real
challenge for people with average fitness either, given
non-cycling-hostile boundary conditions.

Since you are considerably dumber than the President, it is obvious you have
no concept of what is required for a major mode of transportation.

Thanks for your enlightening words.
Tadej
--
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it.â€
Old May 21st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

[...]

no concept of what is required for a major mode of transportation.- Hide quoted text -

If Americans saved energy by being lazy, McDonald's would go out of
business. But Americans are lazy and eat a lot.

If they rode bikes though at least they would be fit. And probably eat
better...