I want an ugly helmet ..

Old May 10th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Janet O'Leary

Default I want an ugly helmet ..

Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. It is like a hat to me.

But:: I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. No fancy color. No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

Old May 10th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 10, 10:40*am, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:
Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. * Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. *It is like a hat to me.

But:: *I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. * No fancy color. * No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

Isn't this very much a matter of personal taste? I suppose what's
ugly to one person might be beautiful to another. I'm sure there are
people who would think they look very snazzy while wearing a NASCAR
roof top!

But if you want something that almost everyone would think is ugly:

1) Visualize a hat that looks so weirdly shaped that it's really
different from every other hat in the world - IOW, a shape no ordinary
hat designer would ever consider using.

2) Imagine it to be garishly colored, perhaps using colors nobody
ever wears in regular life.

3) Make it out of some odd material - say, whatever material is least
used for items of clothing.

4) Make it big, because oversized hats almost always look
hilarious.

5) And as a final test, make sure that your final design is something
that no sane person would ever wear for any ordinary social function.
You know - something that, if you wore it into a nice restaurant with
a dress coat, the hat check girl would snicker as she put it away.

Anything come to mind?

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

Just put one of those "mohawk strips" on it ... the kind crotch-rocket
motorcycle dudes wear.

Or any similar fashion accessory sold at outfits like this:

http://www.thehelmetmohawk.com/
Old May 10th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Janet O'Leary wrote:
Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. It is like a hat to me.

But:: I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. No fancy color. No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=26513&subcategory_ID=4210"

BTW, all the experts agree that helmets do provide protection in a head
impact crash. The debate is over how likely such a crash is to occur.
Old May 10th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tomas Pedersen

On Sun, 10 May 2009 14:40:56 +0000, Janet O'Leary wrote:

But:: I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

Pink scater helmet.

Tomas
Old May 11th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom_Sherman

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Janet O'Leary wrote:
[...]

Oh crap, here we go again.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Old May 11th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Sun, 10 May 2009 14:40:56 GMT, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:

Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. It is like a hat to me.

But:: I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. No fancy color. No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

The fancy pseudo-metalic stuff on my once sort-of-fancy helmet has
been chipping off for a few years. Last week the whole thing just
finally fell off revealing the glorious black styrofoam in all its
ugliness. It still seems to work (or for Frank, not work) as well as
ever.

I don't see why, with more encouragement, the shiny stuff can't be
convinced to depart sooner.
Old May 11th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom_Sherman wrote:

BTW, all the experts agree that helmets do provide protection in a
head impact crash. The debate is over how likely such a crash is to
occur.

Oh crap, here we go again.

Oh please, even the most outspoken non-helmet users don't dispute that
helmets reduce injuries and fatalities in head-impact crashes. They just
don't think that such crashes are common enough to warrant the "you must
always wear a helmet or you'll die an instant horrible death" hysteria,
which most of us here probably agree with.
Old May 11th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 11, 11:21*am, SMS wrote:
Tom_Sherman wrote:
BTW, all the experts agree that helmets do provide protection in a
head impact crash. The debate is over how likely such a crash is to
occur.

Oh crap, here we go again.

Oh please, even the most outspoken non-helmet users don't dispute that
helmets reduce injuries and fatalities in head-impact crashes. They just
don't think that such crashes are common enough to warrant the "you must
always wear a helmet or you'll die an instant horrible death" hysteria,
which most of us here probably agree with.

I see you have read none of the reseach.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada