rainy weather tire recommendations

Old September 22nd 03, 01:23 AM
Dan Daniel

Default rainy weather tire recommendations

In the next month or so the rains will be back in the San Francisco
area, and I am going to need winter tires. Last year I had Vredestein
Fortezza 23mm (700c) tires in the rain and didn't feel safe. Nothing
bad happened, just felt too skinny for railroad tracks, potholes,
heavy road paint, etc., when it is raining or the roads are wet.

I really enjoy 23mm tires, so I'd like to stay with something on the
narrow side. I tried 32mm tires last winter and they took all the fun
out of that bike. Ended up on the 26" with slicks most of the winter
(ice and snow are not issues here).

Anyone have experience with the 25mm Fortezzas in the rain?

Any recomendations for a good city commuting/riding tire in the rain?
25-28mm maybe?

Thanks.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:03 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Any recomendations for a good city commuting/riding tire in the rain?
25-28mm maybe?

My standard rain-bike tire is a 25c Conti GP 4-Seasons. I find the
slightly-greater width than a 23c gives a much more secure feeling when it's
wet, plus the tougher casing gets fewer flats, *and* it doesn't feel like
lead. Very, very nice wet-weather tire in my humble opinion, with the only
downside being cost (about $50). And yes, it's completely standard rubber,
not one of those silica-based compounds that Jobst hates so much.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 22nd 03, 04:43 PM
Mathias Koerber

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:03:30 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Any recomendations for a good city commuting/riding tire in the rain?
25-28mm maybe?

My standard rain-bike tire is a 25c Conti GP 4-Seasons. I find the
slightly-greater width than a 23c gives a much more secure feeling when
it's wet, plus the tougher casing gets fewer flats, *and* it doesn't feel
like lead. Very, very nice wet-weather tire in my humble opinion, with
the only downside being cost (about $50). And yes, it's completely
standard rubber, not one of those silica-based compounds that Jobst hates
so much.

Mike,

do you have any thoughts on how that tire compares to the Conti Ultra
Gatorskin?

thx
Old September 23rd 03, 12:36 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Mike,

do you have any thoughts on how that tire compares to the Conti Ultra
Gatorskin?

I've found the GP 4-Seasons to be a bit more durable than the Ultra
Gatorskin but noticed that my last batch of Ultra Gatorskins feature the
same casing as the GP 4-Seasons. Both have been very durable tires for a
number of our customers though, and without the harsh ride you get with
tires that have really stiff sidewalls and tread.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

news

Old September 23rd 03, 04:27 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:03:30 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Any recomendations for a good city commuting/riding tire in the rain?
25-28mm maybe?

My standard rain-bike tire is a 25c Conti GP 4-Seasons. I find the
slightly-greater width than a 23c gives a much more secure feeling when it's
wet, plus the tougher casing gets fewer flats, *and* it doesn't feel like
lead. Very, very nice wet-weather tire in my humble opinion, with the only
downside being cost (about $50). And yes, it's completely standard rubber,
not one of those silica-based compounds that Jobst hates so much.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks for the recommendation. How's the life of these tires? I'd be
doing maybe 50 miles a week in city commuting, and maybe 30-60 more
weather permitting on this bike. Do you think they would last a full
Bay Area rainy season?
Old September 24th 03, 05:17 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Thanks for the recommendation. How's the life of these tires? I'd be
doing maybe 50 miles a week in city commuting, and maybe 30-60 more
weather permitting on this bike. Do you think they would last a full
Bay Area rainy season?

They ought to last several rainy seasons with that type of mileage. In most
cases, tires used for winter use tend to die from something nasty slicing
them more than from wearing out, although, so far, my GP 4 Seasons tires
have shown themselves to be very tough regarding such things. And yes, they
*are* expensive, but they also seem to have retained the nicer ride
qualities of normal (dry weather) tires. The increased weight and loss of
suppleness are relatively minor compared to other durable tires.

Unfortunately, I must post the disclaimer that tires are one of the ultimate
your-mileage-may-vary things. When you find a tire that works for you, stay
with it! It never ceases to amaze me when customers come in the store,
looking for a new tire... I ask them what they've been using, and they often
tell me they're riding "X" tire, and have had great success with them, but
want to try something different. Why? If you've found something that works
well, stay with them until they don't! Tire Karma 101.

Old September 24th 03, 06:10 AM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:17:53 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Unfortunately, I must post the disclaimer that tires are one of the ultimate
your-mileage-may-vary things. When you find a tire that works for you, stay
with it! It never ceases to amaze me when customers come in the store,
looking for a new tire... I ask them what they've been using, and they often
tell me they're riding "X" tire, and have had great success with them, but
want to try something different. Why? If you've found something that works
well, stay with them until they don't! Tire Karma 101.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Which is exactly why I was asking about the Vredenstein Fortezza at
25mm, along with other recommendations. I know I like the tire and
that it works for me in dry conditions at 23mm. And that in wet
conditions I don't like the 23mm. As you say, I'll stick with them
until they don't work, which I know means when the rains come 25mm
is worth a try, and I'll look at both the Fortezzas and the Contis.
Thanks again.