Tire pressure

Old December 27th 05, 05:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Tire pressure

Well today was the first dry day so i decided to whip out the old uni
and give it a go.

I started playing around with the tire pressure in my tire and its
seemed like aorund 20 pound of pressure everyone else seems to have
seems much to hard for me.. maybe this is just a noob talking... so i
keep let air out and when I found one the felt just right it clocked in
at 10 pounds of pressure

my question is.. is only 10 pp enough, or will this damage my uni in
some way?

thanks

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Old December 27th 05, 05:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I guess it depends what sort of riding you are doing. I run my trials
uni at 20-25 psi (I'm a little person ). My freestyle/learners
unicycle is at about 40 psi. I guess it just depends on personal
preference, as I haven't had any trouble with my trials, though it says
to run it at 35-60 psi I think. I guess as long as you don't flat spot
your rim it should be fine

--
Zee
Zee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11061

Old December 27th 05, 01:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I tend to keep any uni I use for freestyle at 80psi or above (100psi in
my freestyle atm). I love doing spins and pirouettes and stuff like
that though, and don't do much hopping on the freestyle.

On my MUni, I've pretty much just added air until it no longer feels
like I'm bottoming out on hops. I think it's pretty close to the 35psi
rated limit on the tire. Low tire pressure on narrow rims can lead to
tire folding and pinch flats, both of which are annoying.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old December 27th 05, 02:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

It should be okay so long as you don't hit the rim when you hop or
bounce or jump or anything else.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old December 27th 05, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

A soft tyre deadens the ride and makes steering squidgy. A hard tyre
makes the ride jar, and gives you less margin for error on rough ground
or obstacles.

As long as you don't bottom out the rim then you will do no harm. I
use finger and thumb to test the pressure of a tyre, rather than a
gauge, then adjust it if the requirements of that ride appear to demand
it.

--
Mikefule

What you have can be taken away but what you have had cannot.

Old December 27th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i have my tire pressure at 18 or 20 pounds most of the tire, and it will
bottom if i hop on skinny things with less area, but on flat ground its
perfect. I just keep it there, cuz anymore pressure is to much.

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214