Fogel Labs boils a tire

Old December 9th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Fogel Labs boils a tire

On Dec 9, 10:53*am, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:58:31 -0800, Mike Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:
On 12/8/2008 10:40 PM Tosspot wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Yikes.

As Oscar Wilde quipped from his death bed a few days before he died, "My
wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has
to go."

The Paris hotel finally replaced the "shabby flowered" wall paper a few
years ago.

Carl apparently bought it.

Dear Mike,

According to the house blueprints, it was installed in 1958.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Doesn't look that old, but then again, this 1958 model is pretty
spanky: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22269830&q=***
-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 9th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:
On 12/8/2008 10:40 PM Tosspot wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Yikes.

As Oscar Wilde quipped from his death bed a few days before he died, "My
wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has
to go."

The Paris hotel finally replaced the "shabby flowered" wall paper a few
years ago.

Carl apparently bought it.

Dear Mike,

According to the house blueprints, it was installed in 1958.

Would you please explain to my wife that decor installed ten years ago
is still "new"?

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 9th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
On 12/8/2008 10:40 PM Tosspot wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Yikes.

As Oscar Wilde quipped from his death bed a few days before he died, "My
wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has
to go."

The Paris hotel finally replaced the "shabby flowered" wall paper a few
years ago.

Carl apparently bought it.

Dear Mike,

According to the house blueprints, it was installed in 1958.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Doesn't look that old, but then again, this 1958 model is pretty
spanky: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22269830&q=***
-- Jay Beattie.

Dear Jay,

Sorry, I meant the wallpaper.

The stove came from the old house in 1976 and was there in 1963, so I
imagine that it was from the 1950s, but I can't see any date on it.

Some O'Keefe & Merritt stoves:
http://antiquegasstoves.com/pages/okeefe.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 9th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

FOGEL, OWNS A DOG ?
Old December 9th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
On 12/8/2008 10:40 PM Tosspot wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Yikes.

As Oscar Wilde quipped from his death bed a few days before he died, "My
wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has
to go."

The Paris hotel finally replaced the "shabby flowered" wall paper a few
years ago.

Carl apparently bought it.

Dear Mike,

According to the house blueprints, it was installed in 1958.

Would you please explain to my wife that decor installed ten years ago
is still "new"?

- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Tell her that it's on its way to becoming "classic".

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 9th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-12-09, Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
On 12/8/2008 10:40 PM Tosspot wrote:

My eyes! MY EYES! Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Yikes.

As Oscar Wilde quipped from his death bed a few days before he died, "My
wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has
to go."

[...]

Napoleon apparently was actually killed by his wallpaper.

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/arsenic.html
Old December 10th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tosspot wrote:

wrote:

My eyes! MY EYES! Where did you get that wallpaper!?

In a current thread, I doubted the idea that skidding a fixie tire
while goofing around on city streets could generate enough heat to
raise the rear tire's pressure noticeably, much less enough to split a
rim.

The tiny contact patch, only about half an inch by two inches, is just
not large enough to transmit enough heat generated by sandpapering the
tire on pavement in the two seconds or so that such a skid lasts (a
generous estimate of the time).

After all, that square inch of rubber is trying to heat up the air
touching over 80 more inches of just the tread, plus the rest of the
wheel. It would be darned hard to pass enough heat through a square
inch of rubber bicycle tire in two seconds to heat things up enough to
raise the tire pressure.

But what if I was just plain wrong?

It seemed to me that boiling water transmits heat pretty well and
would be roughly similar to the heat generated by a skid.

After some fiddling, I had a nice wide cast-iron pot filled just deep
enough to wet the bottom of a handy 700x26 tire and wheel (with an
ordinary tube, not the Slime tubes that I normally use).

A crude cardboard cut-out heat-shield protected the rest of the wheel
from some of the heat. (NASA uses more sophisticated material for the
space shuttle.)

I tested a 160 psi tire gauge that holds a pressure reading. When I
removed the gauge, pumped the tire up a few psi with my floor pump,
and put the gauge back on, the needle with the saved reading rose
slightly to show even the small rise in pressure.

I boiled up a pot of water, slapped the gauge on at about 100 psi,
dunked the tire, and watched anxiously.

I've always wondered about a similar effect with motorbike tyres. The
manufacturers say inflate to x-PSI *cold*. Well, for me, cold is
between 0C and 30C, sometime more, depending on season, and even 15C
change in a day is possible in late autumn. I should sit down and
work out how much difference it makes.

Simple calculation. Pressure increases proportional to
absolute temperature.

15 deg C to 30 deg C implies a proportionality factor of
(273 + 30)/(273 + 15) = 303/288 ~= 1.05

--
Michael Press
Old December 10th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:14:16 -0800 (PST), Chalo
may have said:

Carl Fogel wrote:

In a current thread, I doubted the idea that skidding a fixie tire
while goofing around on city streets could generate enough heat to
raise the rear tire's pressure noticeably, much less enough to split a
rim.
[...]
After some fiddling, I had a nice wide cast-iron pot filled just deep
enough to wet the bottom of a handy 700x26 tire and wheel (with an
ordinary tube, not the Slime tubes that I normally use).
[...]
The 160 psi gauge is still reading the same 100 psi after more than
three minutes. The air heated inside the tire by the boiling water
against the contact patch loses most of its heat to the rest of the
tire.

From this, I conclude that sandpapering some tread off the tiny
contact patch for a second or two just doesn't raise the tire pressure
significantly.

Thanks, Carl, for another brave real-world experiment that most of us
would be too indolent to try. I'm pleased to have my preconceptions
about temperature-related tire pressure fluctuations shaken a bit.

I would always have considered notions of skidding being able to
elevate tire pressure somewhat far-fetched, though.

Chalo

P.S. Much though I like the thought of living at mile-high elevation,
I'll take the present conditions in Austin over just about anything:
At midnight, 72F and 78% humidity, with a persistent ~20mph south
wind. Not bad for December.

Yeah, it was earlier, but it's 37F there now (I just checked), and by
morning it'll be down in the low 30s or high 20s and with a more
northerly blow. The temp here in Houston dropped a good 25F in the
past three hours, and I'll be sleeping under the Big Pile O Blankets
tonight.

Old December 10th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Dec 9, 12:03*pm, landotter wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:40*am, Tosspot wrote:

wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Don't ya love it? Makes me wanna eat some pirogies and make love to a
woman with translucent skin who is resigned to an oppressive
government and a simple two burner stove.

I like the stove, personally. Looks like about a 1965 model, or
Swedish, or both.

(My '62 Moffit is showing its age - the rotisary motor finally
croaked, the clock runs slow, and the enamel near the extra-hot burner
is starting to go, probably due to heat reflecting off the beer pot.)
Old December 10th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My eyes! *MY EYES! *Where did you get that wallpaper!?

Don't ya love it? Makes me wanna eat some pirogies and make love to a
woman with translucent skin who is resigned to an oppressive
government and a simple two burner stove.

I like the stove, personally. Looks like about a 1965 model, or
Swedish, or both.

(My '62 Moffit is showing its age - the rotisary motor finally
croaked, the clock runs slow, and the enamel near the extra-hot burner
is starting to go, probably due to heat reflecting off the beer pot.)

Dear Brian,

I'm not familiar with Moffat stoves, if that's what you have in mind,
but they seem to be Canadian.

Mine is an O'Keefe & Merritt stove, built in the US. It had been been
in place for some years when I arrived in a previous house in what
further reflection indicates was 1962 (dates that far back are tricky,
since I was only six). It was nice enough to take to the next house in
1976.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Lie by Fogel tm Tom Sherman[_2_] Recumbent Biking 2 January 28th 08 03:44 PM
Testing labs now perfect, no B samples needed! Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 11 February 1st 07 02:11 PM
Has anyone been fired (testing labs)? Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 78 November 28th 06 07:34 AM
"Independant labs tests??? Ro Racing 16 July 30th 06 05:03 AM
Problem with boils Paul Cassel Techniques 31 June 28th 06 07:16 AM