Muni rolling hop 26 vs 20

Old August 1st 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

Default Muni rolling hop 26 vs 20

My main interest in unicycling is in muni, for which I usually ride a
26. However, I also own a 24 and 20 and was thinking it might be easier
to acquire and develop skills (currently working on a rolling hop) on
the 20.

Is it actually easier? And/or will the transition to the 26 be so
difficult that I might as well just work with it from the start.

--
mtnjeffe
Old August 1st 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

mtnjeffe wrote:
My main interest in unicycling is in muni, for which I usually ride a
26. However, I also own a 24 and 20 and was thinking it might be easier
to acquire and develop skills (currently working on a rolling hop) on
the 20.

Is it actually easier? And/or will the transition to the 26 be so
difficult that I might as well just work with it from the start.

If you want to ultimately be doing roiing hops on your 24" MUni, then
you should learn the skill on THAT size wheel. That's how I learned and
highly recommend it. I've done an 8 set rolling hop on my MUni, but
there is no way in hell I feel the same confidence trying it on a much
smaller, squirlier trials uni!

The opposite would likely be true also; learning first on a much
smaller, much lighter trials, then switching to a heavier, bulkier 24"
MUni would feel very strange. Bottom line, if you want to develop
rolling hop skills primarily for MUni use, than learn to do it on the
MUni, and cut out the middle man, lol!

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old August 1st 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Learning the basics of all uni skills has been easier for me on my 20,
because most things are easier on that size and I'm not as afraid of
hurting myself in a UPD.

Some things bigger wheels are always better at, like rolling over
obstacles. I would practice rolling over bumps on my 20, trying to do
it smoothly and work my way up to bigger ones. Then when I got back on
my Muni I could roll over stuff much better and the challenging stuff
wasn't as scary.

I'd get the basics down on the 20 (up a curb, bench, or...?) then
switch to the 26.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old August 2nd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

I believe it would defnitly help you. Rolling hops are easier on a 20",
and if you get better at them on the 20 then some of it will carry over
to the 26.

Yes the transition is kind of akward going from one size to another,
but the skill will still be there. You won't jump as high on the 26,
but it -will- help.

--
forrestunifreak

'*-My Gallery*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl) -
hasn't been
updated*www.qu-ax.com*
*unicycle for christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

Old August 2nd 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Some things are much easier to learn on one Unicycle rather than an
other. Stairs are much easier to learn on a larger wheeled unicycle and
Idling is easier to learn on a smaller wheel. Depends what the skill
is.

Rolling hops are just as easily learned on a larger wheel than on a 20"
however keep in mind the distances. Unless you are measuring distance
chances are you will not have to jump as far with the 20" as you would
with the 26". A half pedal distance on a trials 19" with a 2 1/2 inch
tire would be 24"*3.14/2=38". That means that you can jump only in
increments of about a yard or two yards if you can only hop with the
good foot forwards. With the 26" MUni with a 3" tire you are covering
32*3.14/2=50" for every half pedal rotation or a 100" for every full
one. That means that with the 26" you have a good chance of being
farther away from the curb, rock or beer can that you are trying to
jump up on or over.

Practice on whatever feels the best for you and then transfer the
skills over to the other unicycle. Most important have fun!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)
Old August 2nd 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

It may be easier to learn the initial skill on the 20, but as Terry
said, the transition will feel strange. I learned all my skills on my
19" trials, and when I finally got my Muni, it felt very weird hopping,
dropping, and gapping. This is not to say that I don't like the 24, it
is just very different. For instance, when I land from a drop or gap, I
find that the 24 is much harder to roll out with.

What may help is practice a bit on the lighter 20", but as soon as you
have the skill, get on the Muni to avoid habits forming in you skill.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
(http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

The UniSLAB wrote:
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap

rolling hop skianduniaddict Unicycling 49 March 25th 07 03:43 PM
Help with rolling hop!! Det-riot Unicycling 15 December 10th 06 12:33 PM
Rolling Hop Help... MuniAddict Unicycling 26 December 6th 06 01:30 AM
Rolling hop help. andytait Unicycling 11 September 14th 06 01:07 PM
rolling obstacles on a muni unimind Unicycling 2 May 17th 05 09:59 AM