Keep an eye out for errant Schlumpfs

Old August 6th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Default Keep an eye out for errant Schlumpfs

Those of you who were at RTL know that the airline lost my unicycle on
the way to Halifax; I rode the first two days on borrowed equipment
(thanks to Dave White of the Centurions) before my unicycle actually
arrived.

What you may not know is that they also lost my unicycle while I was
leaving Halifax, and this time they did a better job of losing it,
because they still haven't managed to find it, and now they've stopped
looking for it. They've offered me a settlement of their legal
liability limit (1,000 Special Drawing Rights, equivalent to about
$1600, or about half of the combined value of the stuff in the bag),
and I'm pretty much stuck taking the settlement and deciding what to
repurchase.

Supposedly what happens with this stuff is that the airlines declare it
unclaimed baggage ("unclaimed" because they never gave me a chance to
claim it) and sell it to some warehouse in Alabama, who then auctions
it off, most likely to someone who can't ride it, who'll then put it on
eBay or craigslist. I think that's how Anso wound up getting her Coker
back eventually. It's all a pretty big scam, if you ask me.

So, those of you who tend to watch eBay and Craigslist for interesting
unicycles, be on the lookout for a KH/Schlumpf 29er with a 2.0" Big
Apple tire, Qu-Ax 125mm cranks and a Thompson seat post.

And don't fly Continental.

--
tholub
Old August 6th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

tholub wrote:
[...]

Kay! I'll be watching. I dont know if there is much i could do though.

--
unibikeling

'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)
'
Come ride with me on August 22nd and 23rd!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=71517), Please
contact me with the provided information, considering the thread is
locked.
Old August 6th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

unibikeling wrote:
Kay! I'll be watching. I dont know if there is much i could do though.

I'd be glad to buy it back at auction/Craigslist price (which would
presumably be a good deal less than list price), plus finder's fee, if
anyone manages to find it.

--
tholub
Old August 6th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

I'll keep my eyes open. Everyone should set watches in ebay and
craigslist.

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old August 6th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Jeez Tom, that SUCKS. I will be on the lookout, too. I had no idea you
lost your uni a second time! (and it's been a long time since RTL!)

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old August 6th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

wow! that really sucks. If I happen to be looking for that type of stuff
ill keep an eye out for it. Hope everything clears up for you.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
(http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

The UniSLAB wrote:
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old August 6th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I put in a Google alert for "unicycle site:craigslist.org" and will let
you know if anything turns up. Sorry to hear about your loss, Tom, but
unsurprised given the kind of service I've been experiencing when flying
lately.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old August 6th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

This really makes me scared to fly to the future events/ conventions.
Hopefully you'll get it back, it's not like that kind of unicyle is
very common so if it is online we have a good shot at finding it.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).

My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?
Old August 6th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

That sucks! Best of luck getting it back.

I wouldn't expect to see it turn up for a while though. It was months
(over a year?) before I saw Ansos Coker on eBay. These things tend to
sit around in the corner of warehouses for a while I think.

When I packed my uni for RTL I put my business card with contact
details in the bag, and also wedged on in between the spokes, just on
the offchance that it got lost so that at least there was a glimmer of
hope of it being identified.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old August 6th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Conrad.Nguyen

If I ever travel by air with my uni, I'm going to put a contact card
under the seat cover or something. That way if there's a dispute over
ownership I just remove the seat cover and prove it's mine.

Sucks about the Schlumpf. Best of luck to you.

--
Conrad.Nguyen