Top 10 Cities in the World for Unicycling

Old September 15th 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Default Top 10 Cities in the World for Unicycling

Well, the US are * H U G E * in comparison to any european country.
That might be another reason right there...

--
munirocks

I am Christian but I ride for myself.
Old September 15th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

The big problem with this is that most people are just bunging down
their own place, or places they've been.

Personally I'm only really bothered about muni - from a riding point of
view it's the only type of riding I do which is really different in
different places - road riding, hockey are pretty similar wherever you
are.

I've been to 7 of the places on the list, and ridden muni in/near 6,
but I'd find it hard to pick a 'best' one, or even an ordering. Every
city has its good points and its bad points. I mean obviously London
(UK) is the best city in the world for non unicycling, and there is
some pretty darned good muni riding surprisingly close to it, but there
aren't many riders there. Sydney & Melbourne, might have a few riders,
and some nice terrain, but they are limited by trail access.

In terms of muni, I've ridden the local trails from London, Paris, San
Francisco, Sydney, Melbourne, Wellington, and they're all okay, but
they are nothing compared to the Scottish Highlands, or the Alps.

The UK, despite having no massive mountains has an advantage over much
of the rest of the world for muni as we have one of the largest
concentrations of rideable legal (or legalish) trails. But because of
that, it isn't like there is one 'best place in the UK' for riding -
everyone has their own favourite trails.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old September 15th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JohnnyReggae

HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
_TOP_10_CITIES_IN_THE_WORLD_FOR_UNICYCLING_

1. BOTTROP, GERMANY
2. SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, USA
3. MINNEAPOLIS/SAINT PAUL, USA
4. NEW YORK, USA
5. VANCOUVER, CANADA
6. PARIS, FRANCE
7. OTTAWA, CANADA
8. TORONTO, CANADA
9. MONTREAL, CANADA
10. SEATTLE, USA
11. CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA
12. SANTA BARBARA, USA
13. MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
14. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
15. JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
16. WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND
17. TOKYO, JAPAN
18. FREDERIKSSUND, DENMARK
19. LONDON, UK
20. TOWNSVILLE, AUSTRALIA

::-OK, so far (on this latest list above) which ones do you think are
pretty accurate and which ones do you think are a big blunder?-::

I'd have to vote for Cape Town for South Africa We have the beach,
the mountain, the forest, the mountain.. oh yes I mentioned that one...

--
JohnnyReggae

"Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings."
Old September 15th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Andrew Mell

IMO sydney is an awesome place to ride.
there is street, trials and road riding from the city all the way to
the outer west of sydney, and then you hit the blue mountains
and there is muni and XC gallore, i personally live in the blue
mountains
and they have some awesome runs. and im only a 1hour train ride
from the city center.

although it doesnt compare to new york, vancouver, tokyo, and some
others
sydney kicks canberra and melbournes butts.

--
Andrew Mell
Old September 15th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
Hey John (Foss)... if you read this - what's your opinion about how
easy/difficult it is to hook up with local riders in Japan

On my first trip to Japan, I rode in Edogawa, Tokyo with 750 or so other
unicyclists. Don't know how many of them were local, it was Unicon III.
About 700 of the riders were from all over Japan.

My second trip to Japan, I did shows in Kobe. Didn't attempt to hook up
with local unicyclists there, but afterward I was a guest at Jack
Halpern's house and visited the folks at the JUA. Probably could have
set up rides or gym time, but didn't work at it.

My third trip to Japan, I rode with something like 1100 other riders,
again mostly from Japan. There aren't many Japanese riders on these
forums though they outnumber all other unicyclists in the world
combined. So Japan is clearly underrepresented. But what if almost all
unicycling in Japan takes place in gyms, tracks or schoolyards? Would
that still make for good unicycling cities?

I think for your list to be useful, it needs to be broken out by
unicycling activity. Suggested categories:
- Trials/Street/Flat (Paris or other French cities come to mind)
- Indoor (Minneapolis, Japan, etc.)
- Traditional (24" or 26") racing (Japan, Germany, Switzerland?)
- MUni and trail riding (I'd inclue Moab, though the big unicycle group
only comes once a year)
- Road riding (Bay area)
- Hockey
- Basketball

What other categories?

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 15th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
domesticated ape

joemarshall wrote:
Personally I'm only really bothered about muni - from a riding point of
view it's the only type of riding I do which is really different in
different places - road riding, hockey are pretty similar wherever you
are.

Actually, hockey is pretty rubbish if noone else in the area plays
hockey Same applies to road riding to an extent, and also roads vary
massively in how much fun they are to ride, in terrain, surface, views,
traffic etc. People's preferences of which roads are best probably
varies quite a lot though, I bet some people would find somewhere flat
ideal while others would prefer a mountain range!

--
domesticated ape

The 20 Happiest Cities Wasatch5k Techniques 17 May 7th 05 12:26 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD General 61 March 21st 05 12:11 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD Social Issues 58 March 21st 05 12:11 AM
Cities Turning to Bicycles TBGibb Rides 11 October 4th 04 12:43 PM