Future OUI

Old August 24th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default Future OUI

I'm hoping to start planning the next OUI seriously and I'm wondering
what people think of it. Here are some questions I have for people who
have been before, then I will have some more general ones for everyone
on the forums.

What was your favourite part about OUI?

Did you find it long/short enough (2 days)?

What was the worst part about OUI?

If you had to pay more to enter, what would you like to see your money
being spent on?

How much notice do you need of the dates to be sure you can go?

What would you be willing to do to help out the next OUI?

How far will you travel for a OUI, was last year too far out of town or
just right?

Now for everyone!

What would you like to see at OUI that you didn't see at this one?

What events would make you come out?

How many days would you like to see the event be?

How many unicycles would you be willing or wanting to travel with?

If you didn't come to OUI why not?

Would you like to see the trials course made previous to OUI by a group
of delegates or should we just get materials on site and have it built
that day?
This was done at unicon and worked quite well but required a lot of
volunteers getting up quite early.

Anything else I'm forgetting to ask?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old August 24th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I missed the edit so for those that don't know OUI stands for OTTAWA
UNICYCLE INVASION!

I will fill it out as well to get the ball rolling.

My favourite part was the trials course, I thought it was really well
made and it was fun and challenging. Also just seeing so many people
there was pretty amazing.

I thought it was too packed, it would be nicer to have it spread over a
longer time, maybe with some more official events would be fine.

The worst part was that it felt too short to me, it would be really
nice to not rush it.

If it was more expensive then I would like to see it closer to
downtown, more central would be really nice, or an indoor venue.

Two months notice should be enough for me for a weekend but if it is
going to cut into the week by more than one day and its not on a
holiday then I would need probably 3 months.

I thought last year was about as far out of town as I would want to see
it if we are going to keep the name of OUI, although I really liked the
location.

I would really like to see two very different tracks for beginner and
expert muni races, something very technical for experts and something
quite easy for beginners. I would also like to see some kind of other
riding, I'm thinking a Marathon race or at least a 10km race would be
pretty awesome. A street ride would be a lot of fun as well.

As long as its within a day's drive I will go to it with pretty much
any events.

I'm willing to travel with all of mine if they are needed, but being as
it is OUI I'm a bit biased.

Old August 24th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniKid2

What was your favourite part about OUI?
-High / Long Jump, even if I did not participate...

Did you find it long/short enough (2 days)?
-WAY TOO SHORT... longer would be nice

What was the worst part about OUI?

If you had to pay more to enter, what would you like to see your money
being spent on?
-More veggie dogs....

How much notice do you need of the dates to be sure you can go?
-... school is quite a problem, also fixable...

What would you be willing to do to help out the next OUI?
-you have to tell me that

How far will you travel for a OUI, was last year too far out of town or
just right?
-200k Max... But it wont be Ottawa Unicycle invasion anymore...

What would you like to see at OUI that you didn't see at this one?
-Results...

What events would make you come out?
- Anithing really

How many days would you like to see the event be?
-4... maybey?

How many unicycles would you be willing or wanting to travel with?
- 3-4
Anything else I'm forgetting to ask?
-not to my best of knowledge...

--
UniKid2

hobo_chuck wrote:
Is there anywhere I can get a geared 36er doughnut with 14g sprinkles?

Old August 25th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

I think the last 2 OUI's were great. I liked the location of 2007
better. But 08 was okay. I would really like to see a street comp,
that'd be wicked. I would like to see more photo like 07 was. But OUI
is always great. I will have more to write, when I'm off the iPhone

-Isaac

--
isaac steiner
Old August 25th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kapoute

What was your favorite part about OUI?
THE FACT THAT IT IS A COMPETITION THAT IS HOLD ANNUALY AT THE BEGINNING
OF THE HOT SEASON. RIDING A TRIAL COURSE IS ALWAYS REALLY FUN. FLAMING
PUCK HOCKEY WAS AWESOME!! SEEING NATHAN TAPPIN :O

Did you find it long/short enough (2 days)?
IT WAS PERFECT BECAUSE IT'S NOT SUCH A BIG EVENT, BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS
ORGANIZE SOMETHING NON-OFFICIAL ON FRIDAY EVENING(NIGHT RIDE?)

What was the worst part about OUI?
ABOUT LAST OUI, IT WAS THE MUNI TRACK WAS NICE BUT A BIT CONFUSING FOR
GETTING THE RIGHT PATH... A BIT MORE TECHNICAL AND \"DANGEROUS\" WOULD
ALSO BE NICE.

If you had to pay more to enter, what would you like to see your money
being spent on? *More than one color on the t-shirt, less expensive
t-shirt, bigger prizes
*
How much notice do you need of the dates to be sure you can go?
THE MORE, THE BETTER! 2 MONTHS SOUNDS GOOD TO ME...

What would you be willing to do to help out the next OUI?
IT'S HARD WHEN YOU DON'T LIVE IN OTTAWA... HMMM MAYBE BE THE GUY FOR
THE REGISTRATION FOR THE PEOPLE FROM QUEBEC... I DONT KNOW... TRANSLATE
THE WEBSITE IN FRENCH...

How far will you travel for a OUI, was last year too far out of town or
just right?
LAST YEAR, IT WAS A PRETTY AMAZING PLACE SINCE WE COULD SLEEP ON THE
COMPETITION SITE. A PERFECT PLACE WOULD BE CLOSER TO DOWNTOWN OTTAWA
WITH SIMILAR ACCOMODATIONS...

What would you like to see at OUI that you didn't see at this one?
A BIG PARTY! HMMM, AN INDOOR PLACE IN CASE OF RAIN?

What events would make you come out?
I THINK THAT THOSE 4 COMPETITIONS ARE PERFECT. A STREET COMP NEED
JUDGE... HMM MAYBE A FLAT BATTLE DURING THE EVENING...

How many days would you like to see the event be?
BECAUSE THE EVENT IS IN MAY, I THINK THAT 2 DAYS IS PERFECT... IF YOU
ARE DOING THIS DURING SUMMER MAYBE YOU COULD ADD ONE DAY OR TWO...

How many unicycles would you be willing or wanting to travel with?
NOT MORE THAN 2

Would you like to see the trials course made previous to OUI by a group
of delegates or should we just get materials on site and have it built
that day?
IT SHOULD BE BUILT BEFORE OUI IF POSSIBLE...

GO OUI GO !

--
kapoute

Julien Renaud

'Communauté des monocyclistes de Montréal'
(http://www.monotreal.bbconcept.net)
Old August 25th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hugo_Duguay

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE PART ABOUT OUI?
Meeting everyone, seeing Taylor land the Creeper, encouraging people at
the high jump.

DID YOU FIND IT LONG/SHORT ENOUGH (2 DAYS)?
Too short, but with school it would be quite hard to do more.

WHAT WAS THE WORST PART ABOUT OUI?
Nothing really, but if I have to say something, I'd say the Muni
organization.

IF YOU HAD TO PAY MORE TO ENTER, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE YOUR MONEY
BEING SPENT ON?
A couple different t-shirt designs and colors, like Julien said.

HOW MUCH NOTICE DO YOU NEED OF THE DATES TO BE SURE YOU CAN GO?
A month is good, except if it's more than the week-end, then 2 months.

WHAT WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO DO TO HELP OUT THE NEXT OUI?
Plan and judge a Street/Flat comp. I would love to do that, I'm sure
there could be enough judges and riders to make it possible. Plus,
there's a pretty decent skatepark a couple of feet away and we could
always use some trials obstacles.

HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL FOR A OUI, WAS LAST YEAR TOO FAR OUT OF TOWN OR
JUST RIGHT?
Pretty much anywhere inside of Canada.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE AT OUI THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE AT THIS ONE?
Street/Flat comp., flat battles, different path for different
categories during the Muni race.

WHAT EVENTS WOULD MAKE YOU COME OUT?
High jump, long jump, trials, muni, street/flat and flat battles !

HOW MANY DAYS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE EVENT BE?
2 during school, 4 if during summer.

HOW MANY UNICYCLES WOULD YOU BE WILLING OR WANTING TO TRAVEL WITH?
One or two, if I buy a Muni. Plus Émile's and Stella's (my GF) if they
travel with me.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE TRIALS COURSE MADE PREVIOUS TO OUI BY A GROUP
OF DELEGATES OR SHOULD WE JUST GET MATERIALS ON SITE AND HAVE IT BUILT
THAT DAY?
THIS WAS DONE AT UNICON AND WORKED QUITE WELL BUT REQUIRED A LOT OF
VOLUNTEERS GETTING UP QUITE EARLY.
I don't really understand that part and what it would change for us,
competitors.

-Hugo-

--
Hugo_Duguay

Best online unicycle store : 'Municycle.ca' (www.municycle.ca)
!

I dream of Luke Collalto !

Communauté des monocyclistes à Montréal : 'Monotréal'
(www.monotreal.bbconcept.net) !
Old August 25th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

ntappin wrote:
What would you like to see at OUI that you didn't see at this one?

Street/flat competition. Rider could judge each other, well, it doesn'T
really matters who wins, since it would be for fun, pretty much like the
trial comp.

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y
Old August 25th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lilfunky1

What was your favourite part about OUI?
-the trials competition, and seeing everyone & hanging out!

Did you find it long/short enough (2 days)?
-i wouldn't mind it being longer, but it's hard to justify that much
time off work. maybe if it was scheduled around the may 2-4 weekend?

What was the worst part about OUI?
-i wasn't a big fan of on the second day when the muni ride was
happening, there wasn't much else to do. maybe we could/should have
organized a pickup hockey game or something.

If you had to pay more to enter, what would you like to see your money
being spent on?
-water/refreshments for participants. it was a hot one this year!
-some sort of organized lunch? this past year i felt a bit stuck in a
remote location with no options other than the canteen, which seemed to
run out of food rather quickly.

How much notice do you need of the dates to be sure you can go?
-as much notice as possible! i would say minimum 3 months notice.

What would you be willing to do to help out the next OUI?
-I'd be willing to do loads, but not sure what would be logical
considering I live in Toronto!

How far will you travel for a OUI, was last year too far out of town or
just right?
-Ottawa is ottawa to me. Either way it's about 5-6 hours to drive.
haha.

Now for everyone!

What would you like to see at OUI that you didn't see at this one?
-maybe some sort of get-together the night before the event (so friday
night?) unicycle related or not, just to see who's in town already & to
hang out & maybe enjoy the ottawa nightlife?

What events would make you come out?
-OUI makes me come out!

How many days would you like to see the event be?
-3 days would be nice, again, would prefer it to be scheduled around a
long weekend if possible.

How many unicycles would you be willing or wanting to travel with?
-I travelled with two... sort of (one trials, one muni, but I pawned
one or the other off on other Toronto commuters) and don't really see a
need to bring more personally.

Would you like to see the trials course made previous to OUI by a group
of delegates...?
- I don't really understand this question!

Anything else I'm forgetting to ask?

If there's a possibility of having a selected hotel that is recommended
& maybe have a block of rooms booked, we could have some after-party
like get-togethers. I really enjoyed that kind of atmosphere when I
went to NAUCC, and those of us from Toronto all ended up hanging out at
the college we were at. But it'd be nice to mix & mingle with other
unicyclists as well & I think a central location would really help
that!

--
lilfunky1

"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down! This should be every boy's
dream!"
~Bart Simpson

~lilfunky1
Old August 27th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I'm glad to see people who have participated are filling this out.

It would be quite nice to have other people who havn't been answer some
of the questions as well, especially other Canadians, as this is the
biggest competition we have in Canada and if we are to start making it
a truly national event it would be nice to have some input on what
would bring you across Canada.

For those who are confused by the trials course question. Basically at
the previous OUI the trials course was built by people who weren't
actually competing, this has some great things and some not so great
things. Another option is that the course could be built by
competitors, thus making sure that there is a good variety of obstacles
and that everyone's needs are met, but requiring that the competitors
actually come and work on it (it could be done the same morning though
like at Unicon).

Old September 16th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ben Meighen

I attended 08, and plan to continue, had a great time. Very thankful for
the organizers for putting so much into it. It's not as easy to organize
as you think, and also expensive/impossible to find a place to fully
serve everyones needs (food on site, proper muni trails, etc)

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE PART ABOUT OUI?
-Muni, yes the race was way too quickly set up and explained
(Jason&Roman were rushing to mark it Sat night, but still again,
appreciate the effort), still was fun.
-Skatepark on-site even though it was public (the local skaters didn't
seem to appreciate us using it)

DID YOU FIND IT LONG/SHORT ENOUGH (2 DAYS)?
Would be fun to have more days, but I know its more difficult, and less
people could / more difficult to attend through the week. Perhaps have
smaller fun stuff on Friday evening.

WHAT WAS THE WORST PART ABOUT OUI?
-Not enough shelter from sun (important)
-Arguing organizers in front of everyone
-wanted to play hockey but was not worth staying an extra night/late
travel
-Muni was pretty nuts, the expert/beginner classes were a mess,
everyone off course

IF YOU HAD TO PAY MORE TO ENTER, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE YOUR MONEY
BEING SPENT ON?
more food, unless we have better places to buy it ourselves, or can
camp on-site (were we allowed to do that at a community cntr? or did it
just happen, I would like to as well)

HOW MUCH NOTICE DO YOU NEED OF THE DATES TO BE SURE YOU CAN GO?
as much as possible, 2 months min.

WHAT WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO DO TO HELP OUT THE NEXT OUI?
Whatever we can from Toronto, we don't know whats needed so that's hard
to answer

HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL FOR A OUI, WAS LAST YEAR TOO FAR OUT OF TOWN OR
JUST RIGHT?
Since were traveling anyways it was not an issue, but accommodations
(even just camping) should be considered

NOW FOR EVERYONE!

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE AT OUI THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE AT THIS ONE?
-Road 36er race
-Organized and detailed muni race, markings, and route planning for
different classes.
-I know there needs to be more people/time/money to make it work, but
yeah more organized

WHAT EVENTS WOULD MAKE YOU COME OUT?
see above

HOW MANY DAYS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE EVENT BE?
3*
How many unicycles would you be willing or wanting to travel with?*
3

*Would you like to see the trials course made previous:* no, but I'm
not much into trials comp

--
Ben Meighen

Future cathwood Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 10:26 PM
Future DanDan Unicycling 1 July 30th 05 08:35 AM
Future tomsey Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 05:32 AM
Future darchibald Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 04:14 AM
Future tomsey Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 03:32 AM