hubs!

Old August 29th 03, 11:37 AM
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club

Default hubs!

Joe said
"At least with a KH/onza/qu-ax crankset you can get some BMX cranks that
fit it as well as the cranks it comes with. "

Can you use any BMX cranks though? Are the splines on the KH, QU-AX and
Onza made to one standard such as ISIS? I thought they all had a
different number of splines.

Simon

--
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club - The home of Mountain Uni in Cumbria

Welcome to Cumbria - take only pictures, leave only one wheel track

CumbriaMuni (dot) com
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3758

Old August 29th 03, 01:10 PM
joemarshall

Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club wrote:
*Joe said
"At least with a KH/onza/qu-ax crankset you can get some BMX cranks
that fit it as well as the cranks it comes with. "

Can you use any BMX cranks though? Are the splines on the KH, QU-AX
and Onza made to one standard such as ISIS? I thought they all had a
different number of splines.

Simon *

They're not standard, but other bmx cranks with the same number of
splines will work.

KH hubs use 8 spline bmx cranks, there's a few makes, although I think
the only very short ones are expensive DM Engineering custom ones (dunno
how much they are in the UK), QU-AX are I think 10 spline, meaning
different bmx cranks will work, and Onza are 40 spline, meaning onza bmx
cranks will work.

With all these hubs, you've got at least 140/145 and 170 easily
available, rather than having to use custom cut down cranks which are
presumably pretty expensive if you want new ones.

Obviously the profile situation of being able to buy lots of different
lengths as stock cranks would be best though.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old August 29th 03, 03:14 PM
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club

Joe or anyone else,
I don't mean to boil the cabbages more than once if others have already
mentioned this but how many splines have profile cranks and how many
splines do the ISIS satandard ones have?

Simon

Old August 29th 03, 03:28 PM
S_Wallis

Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club wrote:
*Joe or anyone else,
I don't mean to boil the cabbages more than once if others have
already mentioned this but how many splines have profile cranks and
how many splines do the ISIS satandard ones have?

Simon *

Some of that cabbage was boiled in another thread: '\"Profile hubs\"'
(http://tinyurl.com/llfc) (Profiles have 48)
Here is a page with some good info on ISIS and others: 'Park tool page'
(http://tinyurl.com/llfd)

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old August 29th 03, 08:09 PM
johnfoss

evilewan wrote:
*"sem xl" frames are everywhere with diferent names on them, does sem
actualy get a cut on each one? or does some factory in taiwan have the
tooling and accept orders from anyone? *

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "Sem XL" is just one of the
many names attached to frames from "Factory X" in Taiwan. I'm pretty
sure that frame design existed before Semcycle adopted it for its XL
line. It's a good design, so many others have ordered and used it as
well.

But some of the changes and improvements to those frames over the years
may have come from Semcycle. The long neck frame, for example. Their
deal with the manufacturer could be that they only get made for
Semcycle, or it may be that the manufacturer gives them a lower price in
exchange for letting them offer that frame to other customers as well.

*keeping designs secret realy befifits no-body in a market like this.

if something is available for everybody to re-brand then the price
goes down. if the price goes down then the suppliers can sell more
units.*

This is true, but I accept the designer's right to decide what to do
with his design. If, when a supplier is found, and the designer can make
a deal for a small royalty on each frame made, that should be his
perogative.

But as we know, in our itty bitty market, even sharing a design in a way
such as this will not add up to much unless unicycling becomes a more
mainstream sport.

Someone else asked what's wrong with Profiles. Though they seem to hold
up great, the answer is obvious: the noise! My DMs never made a sound.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 29th 03, 10:20 PM
evilewan

"factory x", thats funny.
it sounds all super hero.

i`ve seen long neck xl frames from others apart from sem. including when
i was at seigmono in germany.

profiles are pertty good, but 1 year and a million drops later mine are
begining to become loose. i realy am glad i`ve got that warranty.

as far as improvements to the profile
reducing the spline count and adding an extra keyway.
the axle is probaby overspecified so it could be fractionaly thinner to
reduce weight.
isn`t that what the new onza hubs are like though?

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old September 3rd 03, 07:04 PM
merrill

This just in...

http://muniac.com/store/hub_ad.jpg

--
merrill - Confinement Loaf

Smart Bomb + Dumb President = Weapon of Mass Destruction
merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818