Hosed on the G-Spot

Old November 20th 05, 06:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Hosed on the G-Spot

Yesterday morning, Eyal, Josh and I joined extreme MB downhiller and
dirt jumper Damon Moran on a trail called "G-Spot," in the San Fernando
Valley. The trail is a combination of rolling flats and sudden rock
slabs and vertical cliff bands and we got totally hosed.

One drop/rollout (The "Jesus Drop") looked 12 feet, easy. The "Wailing
Wall" is one of several 30 to 40 foot fractured cliffs Damon rode
down–but not us, and we ain't trying anytime soon. According to Damon,
his previous partner (now retired) broke his neck on "The Wailing
Wall."

We probably rode 90 percent of the hardcore line–much of it on the
rolling flats. Another five percent we tried, but backed off after
near-fatalities. The other five percent, which drops over cliffsides,
looks flat out impossible on a Muni, but who knows. We just couldn't
get our heads around (for instance) blasting down a ****-your-pants
steep ledged, rock face to a max-speed, mambo rolling drop into an
off-camber shale chute. I'm hoping that after a few more trips we can
sac up and try a couple of those sections that froze us solid. A few
parts on the hardcore line I'll never try, that's for sure.

G-Spot is our new project. According to Damon, many DH riders have
"stacked" on the slabs or rocky roll outs, so it's going to take us a
few more tentative runs before we start attacking what thoroughly hosed
us today. Should be an interesting winter.

We only took a few pictures of the "easy" parts that were convenient to
shoot, and which Josh posted in the Gallery. They don't do G-spot
justice, but I'll get some more pics next weekend because we'll be
there.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old November 20th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Sounds terrifyingly fun....

Can you give us a link to Josh's gallery?

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

Old November 20th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

And a translation for over 40s, please?

--
Mikefule

"It is incredible, Lucilius, how easily even great men can be carried
away from the truth by the sheer pleasure of holding forth on a
subject." Seneca)

"It's a fair cop." Mikefule.

Old November 20th 05, 08:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Here's the album in my gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/cdoum

Sparse...but we were way more interested in not breaking bones.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old November 21st 05, 05:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I second Largo's comments. Man, some of those rock slabs were steeeep
and long. There's a certain angle - let's call it the Gravity/Friction
Ratio - where if you take a fall, your body will NOT slowly tumble to a
stop, but instead will continue accelerating until it finds something
big enough to stop it. The Gspot trail was full of these angles.

Fortunately, the drunk who created this trail (as I'm told) made better
roll outs than I've ever seen on any trail. That's not an invitation
to drop in to the 35 foot walls Largo describes, but there were many
other smaller ones that we can't wait to master. These range from 4
feet to about 12 feet and have a slightly more favorable
Gravity/Friction Ratio. The 4 and 5 footers are the natural version of
dropping into a minipipe. The 12 footers are probably what it would be
like to drop in to a jumbo vert ramp but with a bit more friction under
the tire.

Here's another pic of the infamous Damon, our tourguide, head-firsting
on one of the big walls.

|Filename: IMG_0690.JPG |

eyal
eyal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1613

Old November 21st 05, 07:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hey Eyal (and John), is that photo taken perfectly vertical? Either way
it looks like a beautiful place to ride. I really will come and ride
with you all one day! Santa Barbara looks like a fantastic place to
live.

Before then I'll most like try out muni in central Australia though.
I'd imagine it will be similar in many ways.

--
andrew_carter

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
___________
-- '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
(http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) --

Old November 21st 05, 08:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

well, there's no way of knowing whether the photo is perfectly vertical,
but I can say that I tried to make it vertical. There was certainly no
need for me to exaggerate that drop

Old November 21st 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

vivalargo wrote:
Hi, Andrew--

About 60 percent of the way down the right edge of that photo (of DH
biker, Damon), you can see part of a road, and it appears pretty flat
in the pic. That shot is a fairly honest reproduction of the angle on
that particular drop. We couldn't believe the guy rode down it.

The problem on Gspot is that the terrain is very uneven and we're just
grabbing shots with little peanut cameras. I'm going to get Alex (who
took the shots of Tunnel Trail) out there next weekend with his fancy
rig to get some proper documentation. We're also gonna try and get
Corbin, Nathan, Beau and the boys down for another run at the San
Fernando area Muni tracks. Suicide Connector (Simi Valley),
Hummingbird, Gspot, and Stage Coach (the last 3 in San Fernando) are
all A-List muni runs.

It's fun to try and document this stuff A) to spread the word about
interesting Muni courses, and B) to generate excitement for Muniing.
Sometime during this Thanksgiving break we'll get some shots of Stage
Coach, another great ride right by Gspot.

JL

Oh, please do!

All this is starting to get me excited about Moab 06 again..

Old November 22nd 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

vivalargo wrote:
B) to generate excitement for Muniing.

Every picture you post of the trails over your way brings me one step
closer to coming and visiting you!

Andrew

Old November 22nd 05, 05:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

forrestunifreak wrote:
Oh, please do!

All this is starting to get me excited about Moab 06 again..

Ditto!

wow. I'm definately finding a Thanksgiving Ride to go on. Gotta look
for trails... like the ones out my backyard! Better get the Johnsons
and the rest of team truckee rallied up!

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751