Nimbus Gel on Coker a winner for me

Old August 13th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

Default Nimbus Gel on Coker a winner for me

Of all types of Unicycle riding, I think that a comfortable seat is most
important on the Coker. Typical 36er riding means extended time in the
saddle. I know this is important to everyone, but I've had some
tailbone trouble ever since my giraffe kicked me in my ^ss.

The first time I tried a Coker, the machine had a Viscount saddle and
standard post. I was numb in no time. I've been riding the past couple
of years with an airseat and standard post. Better, but numbness and
tailbone pain eventually show up.

Yesterday I took a 15 mile neighorhoog/city ride with new Nimbus Gel
with rail adaptor. Not perfect scientific method because I changed 2
elements. I can now angle the seat up in front and theres no air to
distribute pressure onto and encompassing the twins and tailbone.

However, I am reporting that I didn't experience near the discomfort as
previous rides. I took 3 short standing/walking breaks crossing scary
intersections.

I probably won't change things for a while because I'm happy with this
setup. But if I have a mind to, I should try the air seat with the rail
adaptor angling the seat up in front. I do think that its the angle
that's a large part of the solution.

--
Memphis Mud
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old August 13th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vuniw

i might get a nimbus gel saddle for my coker. do you know where i can
get a cheap one?

I al so need new pedals for my coker because one cracked in half

--
vuniw

ehh i didnt make this up but it takes twice the man (or woman) to ride
half the bike and im sure everybody agrees

unicycle isnt a hobby, its a life style
vuniw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12772

Old August 13th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

'here' (http://tinyurl.com/gqbua)

Old August 13th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomkarches

Memphis Mud wrote:

Yesterday I took a 15 mile neighorhood/city ride with new Nimbus Gel
with rail adaptor. Not perfect scientific method because I changed 2
elements. I can now angle the seat up in front and theres no air to
distribute pressure onto and encompassing the twins and tailbone.

I did about 4 miles today on my Torker LX with stock seat, and it
started getting a little uncomfortable. I'm not doing any jumping
around, just riding.

Memphis Mud wrote:

I probably won't change things for a while because I'm happy with this
setup. But if I have a mind to, I should try the air seat with the rail
adaptor angling the seat up in front. I do think that its the angle
that's a large part of the solution.

Which rail adapter and seatpost did you buy? The Torker takes a 1 inch
(24.5 mm) seatpost....don't know what the Coker uses...

--Tom

--
tomkarches
tomkarches's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12418

Old August 14th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

'this post' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/sho...p?id=602)...it
should come in your size.
'I think this adapter'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/sho...sp?id=811)...I had to cut it
down a smidge for the Coker.

I always call unicycle.com and talk to a human and ask them if what I'm
buying is compatible...

Old August 14th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

MM,

Next time I see you, I would like a lesson about what you did and how
you did it. I am interested in a better seat setup for my 29er. I can
ride for about 20 minutes then I have stop and "rest" about a minute.

WR

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old August 14th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

vuniw wrote:
what do rail-type adapters do?

I have the Nimbus 29er and just a month ago set it up with the KH rail
adapter and bicycle style seat post. The bicycle seat post allows you
a very wide range of angles for your seat. The rail adapter simply
bolts on to your seat and then allows you to fit this to the bike seat
post. The main advantage is that with this set-up, your bottom can be
placed on the wide part of the seat rather than at the narrow middle
portion. Secondarily, you can adjust how far forward or backward your
seat is on the post (about 2.5 inches of range).

It is worth the expense. My seat looks weird with the front angled up
so much further than before, but I do not get numb anymore and can
comfortably travel several miles without stopping. I have the standard
(not gel) KH seat. There are other posts describing how to insert gel
pads under the seat cover to further increase comfort, but I think the
rail adapter and bike post are the first essential step.

--
abridged
abridged's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11292

Old August 14th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

abridged wrote:
It is worth the expense. My seat looks weird with the front angled up
so much further than before, but I do not get numb anymore and can
comfortably travel several miles without stopping...I think the rail
adapter and bike post are the first essential step.

Couldn't have said it better.

WR no problem.

A rail adaptor is $30. A decent post is $16. It is absolutely worth it.
It is fully adjustable, but you only really monkey around with it one
time. Once you're happy, you lock 'em in and forget about it.

Old August 15th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

Memphis Mud wrote:
Once you're happy, you lock 'em in and forget about it.

In other words, you "set it and forget it". Where have I heard that
before?

I have studied the pieces a little more closely so now I think I
understand how everything fits together. Sounds like the hard part is
figuring out what size diameter seat post I have.