Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

Old March 26th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniDudeDX

Default Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

isaac steiner wrote:
Okay Question:

Would KH Foam fit on a Roger Davies Miyata style CF base? And then
like a KH handle and bumper on there as well...

If anyone has pics of Miyata CF Base with KH Foam, KH Handle and
Bumpers, please post pics.

Thanks a ton.

Isaac

ummm i just did that.....

and yes everything fits...

msn me to get further details...

--
UniDudeDX

'My Youtube Profile!' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=unidudedx)

Naomi wrote:
trying to attach a picture of the tree, before it was circumsized.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 26th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kerosian

Jerrick wrote:
Anyone ever think of these, or a combination of dyneema/carbon?

On that note, what about basalt fiber and kevlar fiber? Scott Wallis is
coming out with basalt bumpers by the way, they look sexy
Here they are, Scott sent me a pic. 25873

|Filename: BlackFiber Bumper.jpg |

kerosian

Unicycle for Ra

DustinSchaap wrote:
why would you kill the 5 yr olds? there's so much more fun things you
can do with them

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Okay thanks...I think I might be getting a Miyata CF Base soon... If
im lucky, today....

EDIT: Also could someone tell me if Miyata bumpers and KH bumpers
share the same hole positioning?

--
isaac steiner

zfreak220 wrote:
so Isaac had a "hazmat" moment

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

fexnix wrote:
Is there some way to attach the saddle cover without having to do the
whole "fusion cover-shoe-string" thing?

Your alternatives require driving some sort of staple, rivet or clamp
into the CF base. Since cast CF is not soft enough to drive staples
into, you'd need to drill small holes into the sides of the base and
rivet the saddle cover into place.

unisk8r wrote:
I thought the Wallis bases were designed primarily for road riding

Dunno Scott's take here, but I've been using mine only for trials and
muni and it's holding up great after three-ish years!

Jerrick wrote:
Anyone ever think of these, or a combination of dyneema/carbon?

I haven't seen a weave of dyneema available that would lend itself to
molding and casting... only seems they make fabric for ballistic
protection... I could be wrong! (usually am :P)

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Loch

fexnix wrote:
I have two questions about CF bases.

1. What kind of weight savings can you expect going from plastic/metal
stiffener to CF?

2. Is there some way to attach the saddle cover without having to do
the whole "fusion cover-shoe-string" thing? I don't like the feel of a
fusion cover because the cover is slipping around on the saddle and
that doesn't feel very good when doing SIF trials.

With my CF seat base instead of putting the bolts directly into the
carbon fiber (at the seatpost area), I used two aluminum spacers that
connect the bolts by pairs so they will not rotate when I tighten or
loosen them. These might add a little weight. I compared the basic
Koxx1 saddle with my CF saddle, nimbus foam and nimbus cover. The CF
seatbase seat was 30 grams lighter.

To attach my cover I got some of that industrial sticky-backed velcro.
I stuck a strip along the inside of the seat base. Then (this required
sewing) I sewed a strip of velcro reinforced with some nylon webbing
along the sides of the cover. I sewed some elastic on the front and
back so that it would gather well. Then I just attached the cover with
velcro and add the handle and bumper. It is holding up very well. I
think it works much better than shoestring and I think it was easier to
do if you can sew or know someone who can.

--
Loch
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

isaac steiner wrote:
EDIT: Also could someone tell me if Miyata bumpers and KH bumpers share
the same hole positioning?

No, they do not.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
Computer Game* - -ProjectUNI update available 'here!'
(http://projectuni.com/#lightbox3)-* - Join the 'discussion.'
(http://www.projectuni.com/forum)
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 28th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

isaac steiner wrote:
Okay Question:

Would KH Foam fit on a Roger Davies Miyata style CF base? And then
like a KH handle and bumper on there as well...

If anyone has pics of Miyata CF Base with KH Foam, KH Handle and
Bumpers, please post pics.

Thanks a ton.

Isaac

I made up a saddle based on the following;
Miyata style CF base
1st layer of chunky Miyata foam
Top half of KH foam (cut it with hacksaw blade)
KH Fusion cover
Miyata handle & bumpers

The KH foam didn't fit properly over the sides of the base, hence I cut
off the top to use that over the original chunky cut foam. This gives
a thinner saddle than the KH was, but much more comfy than the Miyata

The base was already drilled for the Miyata bumpers, and those were
less scratched than the KH ones I had. I'm not sure if it's just a
case of re-drilling holes in the right place for the KH bits, but I'm
happy enough with the way it turned out.

I don't have any photos, but I'll try and grab some over the weekend
and post them up.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
padst3r

Is it possible to convert a standard cf base to a scott wallis base for
the thompson seatpost ? How would you do it ?

--
padst3r

'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/padst3r)
Long jump : 200cm
Static gap : 158cm
High jump : 71cm
Old April 13th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
XCcrev

I think you can just drill special holes for the post and just bolt it
on with the bolts on the post

there was a thread where someone did it but I cant find it.

--
XCcrev

My Vid
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm0AXKU7bQ8)
'vimeo' (http://vimeo.com/825440)
Old May 8th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

So I put a peice of bicycle tube in between the CF Base and the
seatpost, will that do fine, or do I need something else or more?

Thanks,

Isaac

--
isaac steiner