how did you get into unicycling?

Old July 22nd 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Default how did you get into unicycling?

john_childs wrote:
My first and only exposure to unicycling as a kid was watching the
closing credits for "'Welcome Back Kotter'
(http://tinyurl.com/6andyl)".

That was a big part of it for me, too, and I think you know that I met
the guy, right? His name's Tom Pennell.

And I was also lucky enough to be growing up in Manhattan, where I had
an annual dose of the circus (sometimes two circuses) and got to see
the King Charles Troupe and occ'ly other uni'ists.

After my bro and I learned, we'd ride our unis across town to the
Metropolitan Museum, where street performers used to be allowed to earn
a living. There was a regular named Chuckster who inspired us to learn a
few tricks, tho we quickly surpassed him (tho not in juggling, his
forte).

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
Old July 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

David_Stone wrote:
That was a big part of it for me, too, and I think you know that I met
the guy, right? His name's Tom Pennell.

Yup. It's amazing that a little exposure like that in the credits to a
sit-com can inspire so many people to learn to ride. It's just seeing
someone normal riding rather than a professional performer. Makes it
look so much more accessible.

Now the kids have Youtube clips to discover and get inspired by. Lots
of unicycling clips on Youtube. Strangely I cannot find the closing
credits to Welcome Back Kotter on Youtube. Just the opening credits.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

No Unicycling? tdwps2 Unicycling 14 May 9th 06 06:11 PM
I'm unicycling on a CD! JackOlsen Unicycling 2 May 9th 06 12:37 AM
New to Unicycling podzol Unicycling 0 January 10th 06 12:15 PM
Unicycling at the BJC Muniuni Unicycling 1 April 6th 05 05:40 PM
How did you get into unicycling? Worminton Unicycling 71 August 20th 04 07:12 AM