Another psi question

Old October 10th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

Default Another psi question

harper;1110472 wrote:
Based on your weight, rim size, tire width, tire depth, tire/tube
thickness, clothing, and average relative humidity where you live, your
tire pressure should be between 17.656 and 17.743 psig. Increase
proportionally if you put on heavier shoes, you just ate a macho
burrito, or your shirt is wet.

should I assume this a joke?

Also, I say I'm at 17 but one psi reader says 18, another says 17

--
hungry4uni

If only all bikes were cut in two

'My
Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/mthomasdpm)
*'My
Sponsor' (www.sixsixone.com/)*
Old October 10th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

hungry4uni;1110479 wrote:
should I assume this a joke?

Also, I say I'm at 17 but one psi reader says 18, another says 17

That is not a joke...
You should just go with whatever. I run my psi low, I bottemed out
jumping up a parking block and then 3spning off... I will raise my psi a
little but i will still probably bottem out when doing certain stuff
like 180ing sets, tiregrabing sets, ect

Just rotate your cranks often.

--
Any Terrain

2nd Place*)---SuperWrap-'O,*
Old October 10th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

who hear likes the feeling of a 'soft' tire?

Old October 10th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

hungry4uni;1110479 wrote:
should I assume this a joke?

Also, I say I'm at 17 but one psi reader says 18, another says 17

If you ask for precision and you get precision don't assume it's a
joke. If you realize that you're asking for far more precision than you
need then you can start leaning toward the joke side. Nice photo, by the
way.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old October 10th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

There's no difference between 17 and 19 PSI.

Forget the tire gauge, just pump it up until it's too hard, then ride
it and let a little out at a time until it gets where you want it.
Run it a little higher though so you don't bottom out. You'll get used
to hopping with it.

--
forrestunifreak

Old October 10th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

the reason I like 17 psi is because when I static jump SIF (which is
what I usually do) I can jump really high. When my psi was high, I could
go months without breaking/tying my record. After I went with 17 psi, I
hit twice in 10 minutes.

I'd like to run at a high psi because I know I'll get a lot higher in
the future. But I just can't static jump SIF with a high psi. I'm
thinking its because I can't get a big compression, do you guys have any
tips on compression and static jumping.

Old October 10th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

compression doesn't really do anything for you except allow your timing
to be off more and get a little bit better hop.
my tire rarely falls under 25psi, and it seems like i'm starting to
edge towards 30 psi now, and i mostly do trials, there isn't much for my
favorite style (which usually requires more air in the tire than i like
for trials)

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old October 11th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

I see many people riding at mid 20's. But most of the people are a lot
bigger than me. Taking into consideration that I'm only 100 lbs, what
would you think I should run at.

BTW thanks for your answer Harper, it's helping.

Old October 11th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
guilhermeteles

I think you need to go out and ride at what psi you like most, you are
getting more worried about your psi than your ride

--
guilhermeteles

*Brazilian Uni Team*
Old October 11th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

+1

... i weigh 130-140ish. ... if you still care.