Does anyone use a Brake-Booster?

Old December 10th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JesseG

Default Does anyone use a Brake-Booster?

On a 4-bolt magura set up like on KH cycles.

I'm doing a lot of very-steeps, and my arm and fingers get really,
really, really tired.

Does it work? Down-sides?

I'm on a KH24. It doesn't flex much, but it flexes visibly, which has
to represent energy loss that doesn't reach the rim.

I'm already running the red compound pads. I'll listen to other
solutions as well.

Thx,
Jesse

--
JesseG

Old December 12th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

[image: http://enhjulingsfolket.se/uploads/3...f85090-00.jpg]
[image: http://enhjulingsfolket.se/uploads/3...f85090-01.jpg]

My 29:er. It's hard to find something that fits on a 24" due to the
sheer girth of the rubber...

Nothing negative, except a few extra grams.

--
412
Old December 12th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

What about one of the systems where you can "lock" the brake at a
certain drag without applying continuous pressure? I thought I saw a
thread recently where MuniAddict was espousing these...

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8
Old December 12th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
colin340

412;1148235 wrote:
[image: http://enhjulingsfolket.se/uploads/3...f85090-00.jpg]
[image: http://enhjulingsfolket.se/uploads/3...f85090-01.jpg]

My 29:er. It's hard to find something that fits on a 24" due to the
sheer girth of the rubber...

Nothing negative, except a few extra grams.

cool but it looks easy to bend the mounts on it, if you were to drop it
on a rock

--
colin340
Old December 12th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
colin340

it would be a allot safer if it was mounted behind the brake mounts

and you could get better boost and you could make it smaller if it was
made of 1/8 steel not to mention it would be be way cheaper

like this
note all the dimensions are off just my idea

|Filename: booster plate.jpg |

colin340
Old December 12th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

The magura brake bosses like those found on the KH 24, 29 and 36er are
designed to work with the standard matching clamps only. There's no need
for a brake booster. The only need for the booster is when you fit the
maggies to a frame WITHOUT the standard magura bosses, like a coker.

--
MuniAddict

::'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com)

'' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=12920)::
Old December 12th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

colin340;1148387 wrote:
it would be a allot safer if it was mounted behind the brake mounts

If I put a booster on, I'd put it on the way 412 has. Not that I
disagree about the efficacy of the booster being better when directly
attached to the frame, but because the way the picture shows the setup,
the crossover hose is protected. That's the weak spot with Maguras in
general--those puppies can easily get pulled out by just picking up a
rock in your tire.

The frame flex issue and power loss are negligible for probably 95% of
the riding most people do, I suspect. It's not too often you need to
lock up the wheel completely on a muni ride.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old December 12th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Have never felt a booster was necessary on the KH unis.

--
lunicycle
Old December 13th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

JesseG;1146953 wrote:
On a 4-bolt magura set up like on KH cycles.

I'm doing a lot of very-steeps, and my arm and fingers get really,
really, really tired.

Does it work? Down-sides?

I'm on a KH24. It doesn't flex much, but it flexes visibly, which has
to represent energy loss that doesn't reach the rim.

I'm already running the red compound pads. I'll listen to other
solutions as well.

Thx,
Jesse

If you are having trouble with not getting enough stopping power from
maguras, more than likely it is due to air in the lines.

I don't think you need a booster.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 13th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JesseG

corbin;1148587 wrote:
If you are having trouble with not getting enough stopping power from
maguras, more than likely it is due to air in the lines.

I don't think you need a booster.

corbin

But then wouldn't there be sponginess in the lever feel after the pads
hit the rim? I'd love it if that's the problem, but I don't think so.
Truly, I'm frequently on 30-35% grades for an extended time (at least
for as long as I can stay up and my arm can take it.)

--
JesseG

V Brake Booster Hake Techniques 6 February 27th 07 01:05 PM
brake/booster question musketman Unicycling 3 June 16th 05 03:45 AM
Brake Booster oxfordrider Unicycling 3 February 4th 05 01:24 AM
FS: IRD Brake booster rocketman58 Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 04:54 AM
GB4 Brake Booster - comments? teachndad Unicycling 6 February 1st 04 02:43 AM