Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Old January 7th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

Default Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

With that set up the fork rake will be negative which will make turning
more difficult.

Did you experience the unicycle wanting to keep in a straight line when
trying to turn?

--
scoope
Old January 7th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
eenwieler-sander

BoojiBoy;1166339 wrote:
With a bike though, you can put your weight on the handlebars and
stretch out front because the front to back balance isn't an issue.
Bicyclists really only have to balance side to side, and momentum even
takes care of that. With a unicycle, even on a 36" wheel at cruising
speed, we're still have to stay balanced in all directions which is why
it's harder to take the weight off your crotch.

i dont support you on the text that on a 36 inch you have to stay
balanced in all direction
well atleast i dont feel like it.
i only have to stay balanced forward and backwards the side to side
momentum is almost none

--
eenwieler-sander
Old January 7th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

I laughed a bit at first about the metal fatiuge teter-totter you had
developed there Gizmo, but like a lot of out of the box ideas, it sparks
other ideas too. . . . . .

I ride a really long set of bars on my KH36 that is run off of a beefed
up rail adaptor, but if I could cut the length of cantelevered "mast"
esentially in half, that would reduce some of the structural problems
with this design that I've had to engineer around.

I'm intriuged enough with your experiment to try to mock-up something
similar . . . . a cross between my existing mast set up, but with the
seat set back behind the frame somewhat. But I'm worried about the legs
hitting the frame bit that you reported.

Couple questions:
-Do you run zero Q cranks?
-Do you set your set for close to full leg extension or do you keep the
seat lower than this?
-Ever tried this bar set-up on a Nimbus 36 frame (with wider hub and
narrower frame crown)?
-Are you a race horse jockey sized rider with narrow "Steven
Tyler-esque" hips
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/image.../06/653292.JPG or more average
sized??
-Did any of your angle adjustments fix the knee/frame issue or would
you have to move the seat forward somewhat?

Thanks,
Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
Old January 8th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Thanks for all your input.

eenwieler-sander: I used a bike seat because I had all the bracket
attachments for it. I haven't tried it with a unicycle seat, but I
think a bicycle seat is actually better for this kind of setup- there is
no reason for a curved seat that is three times as thick as it should be
(ie unicycle seat).

scoope: good point about fork rake, but I had no trouble steering it.
I haven't used it in any tight cornering and haven't had enough
experience on it to give you a firm opinion yet. However, there are many
riders who use long extension handles and seem to steer ok (Sam Wakeling
and Dustin Schaap spring to mind).

BoojiBoy: Yes, you need some back and forwards movement to adjust
balance, but how much do you tilt back and forths when riding? Very
little. And no one is suggesting a position so stretched out that you
can't adjust your balance. Many riders use a stretched out position
already (see above), and I haven't seen them fall off yet. I've noticed
that when I'm riding, my back is at 35-45 degrees anyway. So the only
difference is not the tilt, it's where your hands are placed- close to
your crotch (with your elbows flexed at more than 90degrees) or further
out in front(slightly bent elbows) like on a bike.

naturequack: I"m still in talks with the framebuilder. He answers his
emails rather slowly...might give him a ring today.

agentQ and Jerrick: Yep, everything in this world has a purpose. It
took me a while to figure out what that T bar was for though.

brycer1968:
Yes, the T7 is prone to fatigue...I've seen at least 5 broken T7's.
But not sure that this will be much more fatiguing on the welds (except
now there is stress on the back welds too). The front weld I don't
think will be taking any more pressure than if you had mounted the seat
on the seatplate. It's certainly less force/leverage on the welds than
if the T7 had a longer bar sticking out from the front.
-Do you run zero Q cranks? Ye
Yes, I prefer zero Q cranks, except I don't like it on my Schlumpf
because it makes me nervous. I haven't got around to getting some
flared cranks yet
-Do you set your set for close to full leg extension or do you keep the
seat lower than this?
Same as a bike, knee slightly flexed at it's lowest position.
-Ever tried this bar set-up on a Nimbus 36 frame (with wider hub and
narrower frame crown)?
I think the issue is the tube diameter. The KH has thick tubes and a
square crown that whacks against my legs. A Nimbus frame would probably
be better, but not a fan of the wide hub. You can squeeze the frame in
though to take a regular hub.
-Are you a race horse jockey sized rider with narow "Steven
Tyler-esque"
I'm not heavy. 57kg race weight, currently about 60kg
-Did any of your angle adjustments fix the knee/frame issue or would
you have to move the seat forward somewhat?
I basically tilted the seat up and pushed the rails as far back as
possible. Although it's angled upwards it actually self corrects when
you ride it (ie the fork legs tilt forwards and the bar/seat are
relatively flat). In the photo I've tilted the unicycle forwards to
show this. It doesn't rub my legs as much on the frame, but I can't
ride with my knees pointing inwards and close to the midline like I
normally do.

monocyclism: Yes, I was referring to Pete Perons V-frame. I think it
needs to be more stretched out that what Pete has though. If you look
at that photo in the link you provided....his back is arched. If that
was a bike, you would say to the rider they need a longer stem/reach.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 8th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

BoojiBoy;1166339 wrote:
I like the idea and your solution looks pretty sweet. With a bike
though, you can put your weight on the handlebars and stretch out front
because the front to back balance isn't an issue. Bicyclists really only
have to balance side to side, and momentum even takes care of that. With
a unicycle, even on a 36" wheel at cruising speed, we're still have to
stay balanced in all directions which is why it's harder to take the
weight off your crotch.

Boojiboy: I've attached another photo of me riding with a short seat
extension (GB4). Notice how my elbow is almost locked at 90degrees. I
have very little leverage and it's very uncomfortable to take any weight
on my arms. Now just imagine the same position, but instead of my arms
being locked in a flexed position, that they are placed out the front on
a handlebar, with my the elbows only slightly flexed (ie like a bike).
I think forwards/backwards balance isn't going to change how much, but
it will be a lot more comfortable.

|Filename: Riding Position.jpg |

Old January 8th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Good stuff Ken. I did a bit of experimenting with a bike seat this fall
and will definitely have a bike seat and long handle on my next 36er.

'Here' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74455) is a
bit more discussion on bike seats on 36ers.

--
saskatchewanian
Old January 8th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

saskatchewanian;1166581 wrote:
Good stuff Ken. I did a bit of experimenting with a bike seat this fall
and will definitely have a bike seat and long handle on my next 36er.

'Here' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74455) is a
bit more discussion on bike seats on 36ers.

Cool....looks like you have a similar idea with your set-up. I'm not
the only one who thinks the T7 is too upright!

You could extend the reach without getting a super long handle by
sticking out another post from the back also, and mounting the seat on
it. Much like what I've done with the T7.

Old January 8th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
turtle

i'm not really a road rider... i prefer muni...but today i was bored and
i still have my 29" schlumpf...and i thought your idea is worth to try
it... it feels good, there is way less weight on my bottom...but it is
still a little to short and the angles could be better... and i need
shorter cranks ;-) .. i could only ride it for a short distance...hope i
can try it really soon. thanks for the great idea!!

|Filename: DSC04139.jpg |

turtle

-'platzangst' (http://www.platzangst.com/)-
'-schlumpf-' (http://www.schlumpf.ch/)
'my vids' (http://de.youtube.com/user/Balzner) 'my pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.de/einrad2)
Old January 8th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

That's a neat idea, but I don't think the T7 seems strong enough...
Looks like it would bend at the rails pretty soon. I don't think I'd try
it.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old January 8th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

Ken!

This is probably the most interesting post this year. In the beginning
of January!!!

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com