hubs!

Old August 28th 03, 07:51 PM
Sofa

Default hubs!

S_Wallis wrote:
*McDonald's is the result of a colaboration of the finest chefs? *

fine enough!

--
Sofa - My Custom Beard

'London Unicycling Club' (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old August 28th 03, 08:09 PM
S_Wallis

Bringing this full-circle, the Suzue hub is somewhere between a Big Mac
and Profiles. It is good enough for many and profitable for it's
manufacturer. What many others are looking for is a hub served at a
medium price sit down family restaurant.

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old August 28th 03, 08:10 PM
Sofa

i'm hungry

Old August 28th 03, 09:34 PM
evilewan

i don`t like the mcdonalds idea,

i`d prefer it to be a bit more like microsoft vs linux.
microsoft makes the money but fsf/gnu/linux is better software.
nobody with knolege of computers seriously denys that. the objections to
free software are mainly political.

mcdonalds care only about making money and not making good food.

however if you want a realy nice hamburger you can learn to make one
yourself that will be much tastier and nutritious than mcdonalds will.
perhaps if everybody worked together then we could together make the
perfect hamburger recipe,
of course everybody wants their hamburger diferent, so we design a
recipe that has options built into it.
in the end it becomes more than just a hamburger recipe , it becomes an
interactive hamburger design process. capable of designing a taylor made
hamburger for each person.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old August 28th 03, 09:56 PM
S_Wallis

evilewan wrote:
*... capable of designing a taylor made hamburger for each person. *

"Taylor made for each person" works for food and code, but not
manufactured items. It is all about how many of the exact same product
you are going to make. Most people have no concept of how much it costs
to design, engineer, prototype, test, manufacture, market, distribute,
warranty,...
It amazes me anything ever gets to market, the obstacles are huge.
Collaboration is great, but most people with the resources (overhead) to
do those things can't wait for something to hopefully pay off down the
road, they have to pay the bills now. And splitting the take several
ways on a product with a very small potential market makes it less
likely to create a profit.
Be patient, as the market grows, we'll get more good stuff.

Scott

Old August 28th 03, 10:09 PM
johnfoss

Or, to stick with the food analogy, say Scott Bridgeman is Col. Sanders.
He figured out the famous recipe; did all the work, so he chooses to
reap whatever benefits there may be.

But if unicycling ever reaches the McDonald's/KFC level, the product
will probably resemble a Torker more than anything else...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 28th 03, 11:12 PM
S_Wallis

daino149 wrote:
*
By the end of the process, I expect to have on the market a hub 20%
better then the good ole Suz at perhaps 5x the price.

Anyone want in on this?

Daniel *

Exactly.

I wish you would switch your avatar to boxers, it's getting hot down
here.

Old August 29th 03, 04:42 AM
evilewan

but we already do have good products.

take them sem xl frame for example.

you can buy the same component from many diferent suppliers, all over
the world. its cheap and its good. it seems to have become a generic
item, its design in the public domain

if somebody found the recipe for colonel sanders chicken dish what would
happen anyway?
fast food empires are built upon marketing stratergies rather than
quality products.

keeping designs secret realy befifits no-body in a market like this.
if something is available for everybody to re-brand then the price goes
down. if the price goes down then the suppliers can sell more units.

"sem xl" frames are everywhere with diferent names on them, does sem
actualy get a cut on each one?
or does some factory in taiwan have the tooling and accept orders from
anyone?

--
evilewan - death or glory

Old August 29th 03, 07:46 AM
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club

Getting back to the subject - Showard said
"But Profiles aren't without their faults too. "

Profiles are expensive hubs and if you could afford them are they not
the best? Technically, how could they be improved from their current
design?

Simon Rolph

TheFatController (at) CumbriaMuni (dot) com

--
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club - The home of Mountain Uni in Cumbria

Welcome to Cumbria - take only pictures, leave only one wheel track

CumbriaMuni (dot) com
Cumbria_Muni&Trials_Club's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3758

Old August 29th 03, 10:09 AM
joemarshall

The only problem with Profiles is that the splines may wear out after a
lot of riding because the splines are so small, meaning having to
warranty them. Which given there's no uk importer for unicycle stuff
would mean sending them back to the USA and probably paying lots of
postage. The most obvious manifestation of this problem is the squeaking
thing, which is the sound of the cranks moving slightly on the splines
or something like that, this will eventually wear down the splines. If
there were less splines, they'd take longer to wear down enough to be a
problem and hopefully be a better fit so not move anywhere near as much.
However, I dunno if anyone has actually done this, lots of people have
creaks, but I don't know if it's gone further yet. Anyone?

I don't understand the point of making a custom square taper, it limits
the crank choice even more than the splined hubs do. If it's going to
cost lots, might as just buy a KH crankset or similar, which should be
significantly more than 20% stronger than a suzue hub surely? At least
with a KH/onza/qu-ax crankset you can get some BMX cranks that fit it as
well as the cranks it comes with.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde