help with V-brake

Old September 4th 03, 06:03 AM
jagur

Default help with V-brake

ive got my brake set up going but it just doesnt pull enough cable.im
using a V-brake lever with an Oddessy A-Brake.i thought those
rolla-ma-jig things were only for useing on V-brakes,while not useing a
standard V-brake pull.

do i need one anyway? i dont understand how the lever can move so far
yet the brake pads dont.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gall...x_flipped.gif]

Old September 4th 03, 06:26 AM
Mojoe

That sucks. I'm using a Shimano lever with a cheap-o Promax v-brake. The
lever pulls plenty of cable for me. I tried using a non-v-brake BMX
lever and it didn't pull enough cable. I found myself bottoming out the
lever all the time.

Wish I could help...... Mojoe

--
Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Old September 4th 03, 11:49 AM
Frank A.

Jagur,
I wasn't sure if that Dia-compe PC-8 lever would work or not, I never
tried it with that brake. It's an older lever from the early/mid '90's
before linear pull brakes became mainstream. I used to use that lever
with regular canti's and it worked great. I think all that linkage in
there was designed to provide more modulation/control. Obviously it
doesn't translate to the "V" style brakes.
The lever I used with that "A" brake was an old Suntour lever without
all that linkage inside like the Dia-compe you're trying, and it worked
very well.
Find an old standard style lever or one designed for "V" brakes and
you shouldn't have any problems.

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old September 4th 03, 06:31 PM
jagur thomas

Jagur,
I wasn't sure if that Dia-compe PC-8 lever would work or not, I never
tried it with that brake. It's an older lever from the early/mid '90's
before linear pull brakes became mainstream. I used to use that lever
with regular canti's and it worked great. I think all that linkage in
there was designed to provide more modulation/control. Obviously it
doesn't translate to the "V" style brakes.
The lever I used with that "A" brake was an old Suntour lever without
all that linkage inside like the Dia-compe you're trying, and it worked
very well.
Find an old standard style lever or one designed for "V" brakes and
you shouldn't have any problems.

- Frank

RSU is down again

anyway,im just going to get one of those roller thingy's called a
"travel agent"
it should be cheaper than buying a lever set.plus,if it pulls alot of
cable i can test another idea i thought of.

im really starting to not like the look of a brake,it just looks and
feels clunky.then theres the Delta extender i had to hacksaw down,that
thing is so cheesy.
Old September 5th 03, 05:11 AM
jagur

well i guess my google news group post from this morning never made it
here,but anyway i went and got a "travel Agent" from the shop and it
provides alot more cable pull but i still want more...this thing is ugly
too.adding a brake to a uni isnt a pretty thing im finding out,its
taking alot of time dialing this in and my uni just keeps getting
heavier....

Old September 5th 03, 05:12 AM
jagur

oops forgot the pic.

| Attachment filename: p9040006.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/160463|

Old September 5th 03, 05:47 AM
Max_Dingemans

well our directions must be different, becuase we dont have any other
options. it might be worth trying anyways.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981