What unicycle should I get next?

Old November 17th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MrBoogiejuice

Default What unicycle should I get next?

Alan;1132651 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies but I am now totally confused.

From this newsgroup the general feeling seems to be to go up to 29"
rather than 36" as this is already quite a big step up. It sounds as
if I will have a lot of learning to do with this.

unicycle.com (UK site) recommended 24" Nimbus II Unicycle though.

Should I consider a 24" or go up to a 29"?

I am worried that I am not good enough to cope with a massive wheel
and would find a 24" easier but, at the same time, I am worried that
24" is not big enough to justify the change!

Alan

Alan, I'm in Brighton and have a 24" MUni and a 36" you'd be welcome to
have a go on if it'd help you make your mind up.

I'm afraid I don't have a 29'er you could try... It's next on my
wishlist though!

--
MrBoogiejuice

---unicycle for Horst---
Make crumbs not War!
www.unicyclepics.co.uk Get your pics out!
www.Dreadworx.co.uk For proper natty dreads
Old November 17th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

Stephane Chazelas;1132671 wrote:
If you want a cheap uni and may consider muni in the future you
could go for the Pashley muni. It's too heavy if you don't plan
to do muni though. You will also probably want to change the
saddle.

--
Stéphane

Pashley no longer make unicycles, a Nimbus or Qu-Ax are probably the
brands to go for.
I won't make a suggestion on wheel size, you've probably had enough
already!

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old November 17th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Stephane Chazelas;1132671 wrote:

- the crank arm length makes almost as much of a
difference as the wheel size, and it's cheaper to buy shorter
cranks than a bigger uni.

Shorter cranks can certainly help, but at best short cranks on a
smaller wheel will be close to long cranks on the next size up. It
doesn't matter how short the cranks are, starting off with a 20" wheel
will never get anywhere close to a 29" wheel.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old November 28th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Stephane Chazelas

2008-11-17, 22:19(+00), mikepenton:
Stephane Chazelas;1132671 wrote:
If you want a cheap uni and may consider muni in the future you
could go for the Pashley muni. It's too heavy if you don't plan
to do muni though. You will also probably want to change the
saddle.

[...]
Pashley no longer make unicycles

[...]

at the time I had noticed that UDC.uk didn't have them in stock
anymore so had taken your word for it, but now having a second
look, they're back in stock at UDC.uk, and there's nothing to
tell they no longer make them. Pashley still have their muni page:

http://www.pashley.co.uk/Mountain_Unicycle.htm

my recommendation was based on the fact that it's a good
and cheap compromise. If you want a single unicycle with which
you can do a bit of everything. With 90mm cranks, that can be a
racing beast... well close, with 150mm, a hardcore muni, well
close... an in between, there's a lot of tricks you can do.

Now, it's true the saddle it comes with is crap, removing the
wheel is a PITA, you can probably not fit isis/moment cranks and
it's a bit on the heavy side, but it's still a good one for the
money, I don't regret buying it.

--
Stéphane
Old November 29th 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

Stephane Chazelas;1139832 wrote:
[...]

Keep an eye on unicycle.uk.com if you really do want to have a Pashley -
they'll be doing a unicycle using the last Pashley parts some time in
the near future...

Old November 29th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
olduniman

Being at the old end of the spectrum my comments may not apply to Allan,
but here are some of my thoughts:

- If your aim is just to get a workout, any uni will do
- But a 24 in unicycle is much more comfortable for short distance
rides ( 10 km)
- A 29 in unicycle is still more comfortable thanks to the extra
stability, but is a little harder to mount
- 20 and 24 in unis can be kept in the boot (aka trunk) of small car
so you can ride when you have a chance

If it were me, not being interested in muni, I would go next to 29 in
to see how it goes. My rides usually last 45 minutes because of various
pains so I don't see the point of a 36 inch just to go 20% farther in
the same time. But I can imagine the step improvement in the sensation
of riding with the big wheel. There is something pleasurable about
moving longer distances with each pedal stroke that is apparent in
moving from 20 to 24 to 29 inch unicycles.

Being 6'-4" I learned on a 24 in and now have two of them plus a 20 in
Bedford and a KH29. I hardly ever ride the 20 in unless we travel by
air. The small uni fits into a suitcase acceptable to airlines.

--
olduniman

+++++++++
Bob