home made tire anyone?

Old November 27th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default home made tire anyone?

kfvorwerk;1139176 wrote:

I've been lurking here while learning to ride my Torkker. Why not try
a two part rubber such as this?
http://www.mrfiberglass.com/polyuret...ld_rubber.html

Karl

Wow that looks perfect. I didn't know you could get rubbers that would
vulcanize at room temperature. And it is not that expensive. I will just
have to figure out how to get it into Canada (anyone in Mane want to
lend me their address?)

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 27th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joshben

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/making-tubulars.html

This is about making tubulars (to be sewn up and glued to a rim), not
clinchers (with beads and a seperate tube).

this is not exactly what you're planning on doing, i know, but i think
it might be helpful. particularly that part about laying the cords and
binding them together (with latex). it doesn't say much about the tread,
though, but it at least seems that for a lightweight road tire, you
don't really need high pressure molds or anything.

to be frank, this is an extremely ambitious project, but i would really
like to see you do it. good luck!

--
joshben
Old November 27th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Skiv

saskatchewanian;1138843 wrote:
I didn't break it, the guy who crashed into my parked truck with it
inside did.

No, man, I meant "hardcore" for wanting to build yer own tire. Leaves
those people building frames in the dust. We all assume the uni mantra
is "Ride, Fix, Ride, Fix, Repeat."

I've seen a lotta really amazing things in here. That'd be another one.
Think of the story. "There I was, down and flat halfway between Regina
and Swift Current. Lookin' around in the ditch I found the tread off a
semi tire, a ball of tangled fishing line, a pack of matches and a
half-full jar of Gorilla Glue..."

Seriously, I'm impressed.

--
Skiv
Old November 27th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Skiv;1139346 wrote:
...between Regina and Swift Current...

naw man I would never ride that far south. Too flat and boring, besides
they have no trees and don't like hitch hikers. Up north is more my
style.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 28th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sigve

saskatchewanian;1138770 wrote:
but do you guys see any obvious flaws in my plan? Anything you would do
different?

would probably just buy a 36 inch tire rim etc..

--
sigve

_*Sorry_for_my_english_it's_not_great,_but_I_work_ hard_to_get_it_better_
*_
Old November 28th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

sigve;1139757 wrote:
would probably just buy a 36 inch tire rim etc..

but where's the fun in that?

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 28th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sigve

true.. would be awesome if you manages to make one yourself!

Old December 1st 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I started work on my 26" test tire. Using a 24" tire and tube to
simulate the 29er parts for the 32" tire.

I peeled the tread off the casing on the tire. I started off trying to
'skin' the tire like you would a deer but the casing really wasn't very
cut resistant and I only had about 1mm of leeway before cutting through
the tread. Basically I had painfully slow progress for the first 5 or so
cm and I think that all the old traders back home would deny knowing me
if they saw my attempt to skin the tire.

I got a bit wiser and started pulling threads with my pliers. Then I
realized that I could just peel the tread off the casing if done in the
right direction and having the sidewall cut down to but not through the
casing.

I learnt a bit about the tire construction through the deconstruction
process. There is zero stitching in the casing, even where the ends join
to make a loop. I think I am going to follow their example and trust the
glue/rubber to hold everything together.

I could not find any nylon fabric or RTV butyl rubber so I ended up
getting polyester and contact cement instead. what the hey, it is more
of a test on concept than materials anyway.

I was going to prep the material and make the casing yesterday but it
started to sleet. Sleet turned to snow and now rain. Once it dries up I
will give it a try. My biggest concern at the moment is that the tread
from the 24" tire is not as stretchy as I thought it would be. Maybe a
lighter weight donor tire would work better.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 1st 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

I thought of this thread whan I saw this bit on monocycles recently. If
you look closely at Ben Wilson's cycle, you can see a Schwalbe Marathon
sidewall logo. . . so is this some photoshop bit of hijinx?? or is there
really a schwalbe 48"?? tire out there??
Maybe unicyclists aren't the first to crack the "making one big tire
out of two smaller ones" construction DNA??

http://tinyurl.com/5ckf35

--
brycer1968
Old December 1st 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

brycer1968;1141180 wrote:
I thought of this thread whan I saw this bit on monocycles recently. If
you look closely at Ben Wilson's cycle, you can see a Schwalbe Marathon
sidewall logo. . . so is this some photoshop bit of hijinx?? or is there
really a schwalbe 48"?? tire out there??
Maybe unicyclists aren't the first to crack the "making one big tire
out of two smaller ones" construction DNA??

http://tinyurl.com/5ckf35

looks like two tires joined. It looks to me like there is a join near
where his hands are in the pic. There is also two logos on the side. I
wonder what he did with the bead and if he can feel the connections when
he rides on smooth surfaces.

--
saskatchewanian

home made bc wheel primus Unicycling 3 January 31st 08 11:04 PM
home-made tires Gary Young Techniques 45 April 4th 07 07:19 AM
Home-made tire boot? [email protected] Techniques 32 February 4th 06 07:41 PM
Home-made BC Spudman Unicycling 8 September 7th 05 01:55 PM
home made uni booger1 Unicycling 0 July 11th 03 04:09 AM