Is It Possible to be a Cycling Fan Without ...

Old June 8th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steven Bornfeld[_2_]

Default Is It Possible to be a Cycling Fan Without ...

On 6/7/2011 7:38 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:
In ,
"Benjo wrote:

I'm afraid it's full of mistakes. For instance, Janssen, Pingeon, Ocaña and
Gimondi tested positive, Thévénet admitted using corticoids, not steroids,
the autopsy of Knut Enemark Jensen's body didn't show had taken amphetamine
and other drugs. etc.

Technical point. Corticoids are steroids---corticosteroids.
Corticosteroids are catabolic steroids. When hand wringers
moan over the use of steroids it is the anabolic steroids
only that are at issue; though they do not know the difference.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your post--I posted before reading this.
n I do thing that glucocorticoids are banned as well. I'm not sure that
overuse is any safer than anabolic steroids.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old June 8th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Benjo Maso

"Steven Bornfeld" schreef in bericht ...

On 6/7/2011 5:49 PM, Benjo Maso wrote:

"--D-y" schreef in bericht

On Jun 6, 5:18 pm, "Dave Lee" wrote:
... an advanced degree in pharmacology?

When I was riding regularly (90's) I really enjoyed buying video's of the
Tdf, Giro d'Italia, Paris-Roubaix, etc. and on late weekend nights
plugging
one in with a glass of wine and just watching it for an hour or two.

I can't get enthused anymore - now it is all about hematocrits,
testosterone
levels, etc.

Back to golf, I guess.

Fan, yes.
Rider, no.

Take a few minutes, there's some excellent "get real" material here,
free for the reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Tour_de_France

I'm afraid it's full of mistakes. For instance, Janssen, Pingeon, Ocaña
and Gimondi tested positive, Thévénet admitted using corticoids, not
steroids, the autopsy of Knut Enemark Jensen's body didn't show had
taken amphetamine and other drugs. etc.

Benjo

Benjo--

Glucocorticoids are considered steroids, and unless I'm greatly
mistaken, they are banned. Yes, their use in cycling is primarily
anti-inflammatory rather than anabolic. I assume the rationale for the
ban is that they convey the ability to ride with less pain. It doesn't
explain why NSAIDS aren't banned. But I'm certainly not saying that
criteria for banning a particular pharmaceutical are rational.

Thanks! And yes, glucocorticoids are banned.

Benjo

Old June 8th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

"Benjo wrote:

I'm afraid it's full of mistakes. For instance, Janssen, Pingeon, Ocaña and
Gimondi tested positive, Thévénet admitted using corticoids, not steroids,
the autopsy of Knut Enemark Jensen's body didn't show had taken amphetamine
and other drugs. etc.

Technical point. Corticoids are steroids---corticosteroids.
Corticosteroids are catabolic steroids. When hand wringers
moan over the use of steroids it is the anabolic steroids
only that are at issue; though they do not know the difference.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your post--I posted before reading this.
n I do thing that glucocorticoids are banned as well. I'm not sure that
overuse is any safer than anabolic steroids.

I am sure over use is debilitating.

--
Old Fritz
Old June 9th 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 6/8/2011 6:55 PM, Jimmy July wrote:
They were ALL caught (except for Levi and Lance, who doped and
got away with it).

It was a long time ago but Levi lost a national championship
over an allergy med. At least he said it was an allergy med.

Old June 9th 11, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article ,
"Dave Lee" wrote:

"Jimmy July" wrote in message ...

On 6/7/2011 2:47 PM, Dave Lee wrote:

Sorry - I absolutely don't see the point here. You raised the (totally
stupid, IMHO) issue of eye surgery and golf.

Actually, I did not. This Usenet thingy is kind of confusing, so here's
a clue: we're not all the same person. I am, however, mildly flattered
to have been confused with Dusty. (- I claim a NG first for that, by
the way)

Yep - my apologies to one of you guys - I'm not around here
enough to know which.

Not much of an apology.
"I won't exert the effort
to engage in dialogue."