SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Old February 27th 06, 01:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bicycles on the Old Road

Gemm said

By 'sorting things out' I mean that many of the issues faced by both
cyclists and motorcyclists are the same, but they don't seem to realise it

I do. You do. Zebee does. Chris does (Although she is 'only' a
prospective motorcyclist) . Kathy does. Eaun does Did the army teach
you to ride a motorcycle Euan? I think most of us subscribe to the
'two wheels good' theory.

Their are always #$%wits. When I was driving cabs I used to hate
getting 5 seaters. Out of any 5 male passengers one will be a total
#&(#^ Its some sort of rule. (Once the total tool was Ians brother
who didnt recognise me till I addressed him by name ) The extra
idiots are more stress than the extra fares are worth. Motorcyclists
and cyclists have their share of em. And one of the things about
@#$$wits is they tend not to see other peoples point of view.

Yeah I think presenting a common front is a great idea. Lets

Dave

Old February 27th 06, 02:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:46:12 +1030
Gemma_k wrote:

So why can't cycling and motorcycling representative groups for the first
time in Australia be allies instead of opponents? Just understanding each

I think it's not so much that groups are opponents, as that they don't
talk that much to each other.

And that not all cyclists and not all motorcyclists are members of
groups.

The MCC of NSW represents a lot of motorcyclists, but you can bet that
the vast majority of riders don't know about us, because they aren't
members of the clubs who make up the MCC.

I suspect a lot of the cyclists who use the Old Road and other
twisties aren't members of the cycle advocacy groups either.

The MCC will be talking to BNSW as well as to the racing clubs via
Turramurra Cyclery, and working with them as much as we can, because
when it comes to road surface and infrastructure, the more people the
more clout.

Zebee
Old February 27th 06, 02:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

The MCC of NSW represents a lot of motorcyclists, but you can bet that
the vast majority of riders don't know about us, because they aren't
members of the clubs who make up the MCC.

I suspect a lot of the cyclists who use the Old Road and other
twisties aren't members of the cycle advocacy groups either.

Another tact, have you considered putting up some DIY signage in the
area? ie: short, concise, laminated notices with, "if you're interested
in" + contact details ... blahblahblah.

--
cfsmtb

Old February 27th 06, 02:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:41:39 +1100
cfsmtb wrote:

Another tact, have you considered putting up some DIY signage in the
area? ie: short, concise, laminated notices with, "if you're interested
in" + contact details ... blahblahblah.

GOod idea. If we don't seem to contact the regular users via
Turramurra and Pie in the Sky, then a sign at Pie and at Calga
Interchange or similar might work.

Zebee
Old February 27th 06, 03:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

No one has mentioned speed. I wouldnt mind sharing the old Pac Highway with
motor cyclists if they kept below the speed limit, which is I think 70 or
80, as its supposed to be a scenic drive not a freeway. 60 would be better
still. Cyclists dont have much of a choice of route out of Sydney, the F3 or
the old Pac Highway. The F3 is better grades and less climbing than the
old highway but there is/was a sign up on the F3 saying No Bikes over the
Moonie Bridge, which has no shoulders and is a huge speedway for trucks
trying to keep their revs up for the hills on either side and a history of
bad smashes on the bridge too, so cyclists are being directed to use the
old Pac highway. And a good ride it is too, scenic and quite a challenge to
get to Gosford say. Our group (Leichhardt BUG) used to do it once a year as
part of our calendar but most now say the motorbikes have made it too
unpleasant, because of the speed they do and never knowing when the next
bunch is coming past.

Same thing applies to Royal National Park south of Sydney. A beautiful
scenic road through shady forests, ideal for cycling, spoiled by
motorcyclists who blast through far in excess of the 80 speed limit, which
is too high anyway- should be 60. Never seen a police presence in the Park,
but do sometimes see a patrol car on the old Pac Highway. My cousin killed
himself near Moonie on the bends and I spent my youth fanging a Honda
between Sydney and Gosford, so I know the dangers and the attraction of
motor bike riding, just wish motor cyclists could stick to the F3 if they
want to push it, although parts of the F3 are limited to 90 because of the
incredible number of stupid crashes on it from speeding or incompetent
motorists.

bobm

Old February 27th 06, 08:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-27, percrime (aka Bruce)
Their are always #$%wits. When I was driving cabs I used to hate
getting 5 seaters. Out of any 5 male passengers one will be a total
#&(#^ Its some sort of rule.

Oy! I resemble that remark! It's amazing how often we end up with a
group of 5, and then 4 seater cabs who actually accept us. We are
rarely tools

--
TimC
Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX.
Old February 27th 06, 09:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:30:38 +0000, TimC wrote:

I'll run with you

Sssh, or Tam will give us ****.

Me neither.

Or me.
--
Dave Hughes |
A man might spend his life peering at the private life of elementary

Old February 27th 06, 03:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Long shot, this being melb.bicycles and all, but is there anyone
reading who rides a bicycle on the Old Road?

Years ago, but I'm on the wrong side of sydney now.

Reason I ask is that the Motor Cycle Council has heard disquieting rumours
about how some cyclists are planning to try and baulk motorcycles by
spreading wide as the bike approaches, and some motorcyclists plan to
kybosh this by riding between the cyclists and "scaring them by
swerving".

What a load of bull****. You should stop listening to rumours that crop
up around beer and definitely should stop helping them spread.

Seriously, don't worry about it till it happens, then call 000
immediately after the motorbike runs over them.
Old February 28th 06, 12:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Fractal" wrote in message
news
Same thing applies to Royal National Park south of Sydney. A beautiful
scenic road through shady forests, ideal for cycling, spoiled by
motorcyclists who blast through far in excess of the 80 speed limit, which
is too high anyway- should be 60. Never seen a police presence in the

Park,
but do sometimes see a patrol car on the old Pac Highway. My cousin killed
himself near Moonie on the bends and I spent my youth fanging a Honda
between Sydney and Gosford, so I know the dangers and the attraction of
motor bike riding, just wish motor cyclists could stick to the F3 if

they
want to push it, although parts of the F3 are limited to 90 because of the
incredible number of stupid crashes on it from speeding or incompetent
motorists.

If you know the attractions of moto riding, you'll *know* that a straight,
boring, mind numbing ride like the F3 isn't one of them.

Tony F
it's all about going through corners

Old February 28th 06, 01:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

tony f Wrote:
If you know the attractions of moto riding, you'll *know* that a
straight,
boring, mind numbing ride like the F3 isn't one of them.

Tony F
it's all about going through corners

I know all about that from my youth... zooming around on a moto is fun,
but I always remembered that public roads are not private race tracks. I
took risks, rode too fast and had a mixture of good luck and good
judgement. Nevertheless ,the Old Pac. Hwy is still a public road with a
reduced speed limit for a reason, and it isn't because bicycles use it.
It's because too many wannabe car and moto racers hurled themselves
into trees, rockfaces and each other.

Let's all use the road for fun and consider others. Simple.

Ritch

--
ritcho