Bontrager Race X-lite versus Continental GP3000 tires

Old August 20th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Palermo

Default Bontrager Race X-lite versus Continental GP3000 tires

Hi,

The original tires on my road bike were Bontrager Race X-lites 23mm. After
2500 miles, some of which was on the trainer, my rear tire was worn out. I
only had one flat on it and that was right at the very end of life. My LBS
recommended the Conti GP3000 as a replacement, so I got it. After a couple
of hundred miles, my impression is that it's a slower tire than the X-lite.
My ride average speeds seem to be about .5 mph slower. Has anyone else used
both these tires? If so, what are your observations?

After I bought the tire, I found out that the GP3000 has been replaced by
the GP4000. In fact my LBS had both, with the GP4000 about $5 more
expensive. They didn't even mention the GP4000 when we were looking at the
choices. I probably would have spent the extra $5 since the 4000 is supposed
to be faster and more durable.

Thanks,

Bob P.

Old August 20th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barnard Frederick

Bob Palermo says...

[...]

It's not the tire, it's the engine that is slower. You could put a
cheap $10 wire bead tire on your bike and it wouldn't affect your
average speed by anywhere near that much. The GP3000 was/is a high end
racing tire used and respected by thousands of riders the world over.
I'd be amazed if anyone could prove it was somehow slower than any other
tire.
Old August 20th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Bob Palermo wrote:
[...]

Doubt one is ''slower' than another. Differences in rolling resistence
is mostly teeny, lost in the noise. Remember that GP series of tires,
like lots of others at this high price point, are racing tires with the
associated sticky-ness, light weight and less durability. Perhaps a
more appropriate tire, that costs $15-$25 less would be a better idea.

Bob P.

Old August 20th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Palermo

Really. 0.5 mph (half a mile per hour per hour) doesn't seem like that much
of an average speed difference that it couldn't be due to the tire. Also,
it's the same engine (me), with just a different tire. My times for various
courses have been quite consistent, actually improving, for quite some time.
After switching tires and doing the same courses, with the same percieved
effort levels, I noticed roughly the 0.5 mph slip.

But you might be right. Perhaps my skepticism about the tire is showing in
my performance.

Bob P

.net...

Old August 20th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Palermo

Hi. Why do you suggest a cheaper tire?

I'm not too concerned about additional durability. If I can get 2500 miles
on a rear tire, I'm pretty happy. That's what I got on my X-lite. Won't a
cheaper tire be heavier and thus slower. The average speed for my rides is
in the 19-20 mph range, and I'm not out killing myself to do it. To me, it
wouldn't be worth the $30 or $40 a year savings (the difference in cost of 2
tires) ir it meant that I'd lose some performance.

Bob P.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 20th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barnard Frederick

Bob Palermo says...

Really. 0.5 mph (half a mile per hour per hour) doesn't seem like that much
of an average speed difference that it couldn't be due to the tire. Also,
it's the same engine (me), with just a different tire. My times for various
courses have been quite consistent, actually improving, for quite some time.
After switching tires and doing the same courses, with the same percieved
effort levels, I noticed roughly the 0.5 mph slip.

But you might be right. Perhaps my skepticism about the tire is showing in
my performance.

Bob P

A 0.5 difference is very significant for me. That's about the
difference I saw going from my hot rod hybrid (mixture of mountain and
road racing components) which was recently stolen, and a high end road
bike (Giant OCR Comp 1). The new bike is 4 lbs. lighter and has a much
more aero position.

Really, the GP3000 is about as good as it gets for a high performance
tire. And there are many variables when you look at average speed, like
wind speed and direction, how often you are forced to stop, your own
motivation and energy level, etc. You use a computer, so are you sure
the tire diameter is the same? I wouldn't think that would make much
difference, but actual tire width varies even though they may have the
same nominal size. That's one reason computers allow you to put in a
custom size.
Old August 20th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marko

GP3000 is very slow
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html
Old August 20th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:09:11 +0300, "Marko" wrote:

GP3000 is very slow
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

Dear Marko,

Here's the table for clinchers, including the gp3000, from that link:

http://ddata.over-blog.com/xxxyyy/0/...her-specs.html

The easiest-rolling tires are listed first. The GP3000 appears near
the bottom with a rolling resistance of 0.0067.

Bontrager X-Lites weren't tested, but they'd be about 0.0050 if they
were in the middle of the pack.

Here's a calculator that allows changing the rr value:

http://w3.iac.net/~curta/bp/velocityN/velocity.html

For 200 watts and the default 0.0050 rr, it predicts 31.88 kmh.
Raising the rr to the gp3000's 0.0067 rr produces 31.02 kmh, a drop of
0.86 kmh or 0.534 mph.

While a half-mph speed drop change isn't likely to be obvious while
riding alone, it will certainly show up on timed runs over the same
daily course.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 20th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barnard Frederick

Marko says...

GP3000 is very slow
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

I find this hard to believe, but maybe I'm wrong on this one. Looks
like the OP should get my favorite tire--the Michelin Pro Race.
Old August 20th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Barnard Frederick wrote:
Marko says...

GP3000 is very slow
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

I find this hard to believe, but maybe I'm wrong on this one.

No it was measured in various tests.

Looks
like the OP should get my favorite tire--the Michelin Pro Race.

Yep, it's a better tire IMO.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu