A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » Australia
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Chain cleaning solvents



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 4th 07, 09:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,402
Default Chain cleaning solvents

On Apr 4, 9:55 am, suzyj
wrote:
Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore)



Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop? I keep my
chains pretty clean, doing about 300 km/week on two bikes and cleaning
every 2-3 weeks. I would only use about 50ml each time, applied with a
brush and/or chain cleaner. One bottle of kero from the supermarket
lasts me months. The cost is insignificant.

Donga

Ads
  #12  
Old April 4th 07, 09:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Blue Heeler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 72
Default Chain cleaning solvents

John Henderson wrote:



I agree about biodiesel's superior solvent properties. Carry a
spare fuel filter if you switch to it in a high-milage Diesel.


And if it is an old diesel prepare to replace fuel lines....

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...


I believe it is. There are (unconfirmed) reports of people
drinking the stuff to prove a point.


Gee I hope they knew what they were doing when they batched the BD in
question Methoxide being fairly high up on the "kill you deader than
hell" list.




--

  #13  
Old April 4th 07, 02:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Chain cleaning solvents


Donga wrote:

Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop?


Naah - I'm just peeved I can't get kero from the bowser any more. I
probably only go through a couple of litres a year.

Next time I'm filling up, I'll be sure to take a container along, and
give it a go.

In response to other posters, my car did 700km on petrodiesel (and thus
far about 50km on petro/bio blend), so I don't think there are many
deposits to be cleaned out :P


--
suzyj

  #14  
Old April 4th 07, 04:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 583
Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj wrote:
Donga wrote:


Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop?



Naah - I'm just peeved I can't get kero from the bowser any more. I
probably only go through a couple of litres a year.


Tried your local supermarket?
1L containers are probably convienient.
  #15  
Old April 4th 07, 06:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gumby
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 50
Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj wrote:
Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.

Last night I filled the car up with biodiesel, and I started to wonder
if it's any good for cleaning chains. From what I've read on the web,
it's a better solvent than petrodiesel (in as much as it removes
deposits from your fuel system so they can gum up filters and
injectors), and it's certainly safer to store than petrodiesel, having
a higher flash-point.

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...


I use the mechanical chain cleaner and sugar soap. Seems to work pretty
well.
  #16  
Old April 4th 07, 08:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 178
Default Chain cleaning solvents

"Terryc" wrote in message
...
suzyj wrote:
Donga wrote:


Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop?



Naah - I'm just peeved I can't get kero from the bowser any more. I
probably only go through a couple of litres a year.


Tried your local supermarket?
1L containers are probably convienient.


I used kero (from supermarket) for a long time but recently I was in super
cheap auto and bought a bottle of "biodegradable degreaser" that is in a
blue bottle. I have used it about 3 times so far and I am pretty impressed
with it. It is almost odourless and seems to do a reasonable job of
degreasing - means the wife doesn't complain about me smelling like kerosene
anymore!!!

The other thing I bought that I should have years ago was a decent pair of
rubber gloves.........not sure why I didn't do this earlier but it is
definitely easier now as I don't have to scrub my hands forever when I get
back inside from a degreasing session in the shed.

Gags


  #17  
Old April 4th 07, 10:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,402
Default Chain cleaning solvents

On Apr 5, 5:53 am, "Gags" wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

...

suzyj wrote:
Donga wrote:


Wow, it sounds like you use a lot. Is this in a bike shop?


Naah - I'm just peeved I can't get kero from the bowser any more. I
probably only go through a couple of litres a year.


Tried your local supermarket?
1L containers are probably convienient.


I used kero (from supermarket) for a long time but recently I was in super
cheap auto and bought a bottle of "biodegradable degreaser" that is in a
blue bottle. I have used it about 3 times so far and I am pretty impressed
with it. It is almost odourless and seems to do a reasonable job of
degreasing - means the wife doesn't complain about me smelling like kerosene
anymore!!!

The other thing I bought that I should have years ago was a decent pair of
rubber gloves.........not sure why I didn't do this earlier but it is
definitely easier now as I don't have to scrub my hands forever when I get
back inside from a degreasing session in the shed.

Gags


I get worried about degreaser. I used a few cans of that $2 spray
degreaser a few years ago. For my pains, I destroyed the alloy finish
on a 105 and an Ultegra crankset. I twigged too late that it was the
degreaser - I think because of its high alkalinity. Why change from
kero? If you have dirty hands, just wash them in kero ;-)

Donga

  #18  
Old April 4th 07, 10:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Chain cleaning solvents


TerryC wrote:

Tried your local supermarket?
1L containers are probably convienient.


They are (and I do have a bottle of kero from Bunnings at the moment),
but I get really p**ed off at paying $3 or $4 a litre for something
that was $1 a litre from the bowser.

Bit like bottled water really.


--
suzyj

  #19  
Old April 5th 07, 12:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 284
Default Chain cleaning solvents

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:55:31 +1000, suzyj wrote:

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.


I use turps in a plastic container - if you let the gunk settle and pour
off the rest, you only need to top it up a little each time.

--
Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw
  #20  
Old April 5th 07, 12:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 435
Default Chain cleaning solvents

Gags wrote:
The other thing I bought that I should have years ago was a decent pair of
rubber gloves.........not sure why I didn't do this earlier but it is
definitely easier now as I don't have to scrub my hands forever when I get
back inside from a degreasing session in the shed.


Yes a good quality pair would be the go. I have a packet of those throw
away latex gloves in the shed but a few minutes in petrol/kero/whatever
and they start to disintegrate.

DaveB
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another chain cleaning tip Gary Smiley Techniques 11 October 17th 06 09:01 PM
chain cleaning TomCAt General 54 September 16th 05 04:00 AM
CHAIN CLEANING the best way? Polly Techniques 55 May 18th 05 10:38 PM
Chain Cleaning kwa_zulu Australia 4 January 4th 05 11:36 PM
Chain cleaning Alan Walker Australia 1 December 2nd 04 09:47 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.