1000 uses for old tubes

Old February 14th 08, 09:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default 1000 uses for old tubes

http://www.instructables.com/id/10-o...Bicycle-Tubes/

not too sure about the laptop key one....

Zebee
Old February 15th 08, 12:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-o...Bicycle-Tubes/

not too sure about the laptop key one....

Zebee

Meant to reply when this first came up. They are great for plant ties
i.e. tying shrubs etc to stakes.

Our local roadies seem to think that they make attractive roadside
decorations or I assume that is why they throw them at the roadside!

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old February 15th 08, 02:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Feb 15, 9:42 am, Jack Russell wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-o...Bicycle-Tubes/

not too sure about the laptop key one....

Zebee

Meant to reply when this first came up. They are great for plant ties
i.e. tying shrubs etc to stakes.

Our local roadies seem to think that they make attractive roadside
decorations or I assume that is why they throw them at the roadside!

--
Remove norubbish to reply

I do my bit by picking them up and taking them home to repair and re-
use.

Unfortunately I can't do that with all the gel/bar wrappers these
f*ckers discard. Like at the Alpine Classic, they can lug 50g of
liquid lunch up the hill, but they can't manage to take the wrapper
home to the bin. Even in an event like the MTB Epic, where you are out
enjoying natural beauty by direct contact, wrappers are everywhere. It
appalls me that organisers never take a stand about it. Like some anti-
litter promotions, or heaven help us, an emu parade after. I am in
favour of a report/DQ system.

Donga
Old February 15th 08, 03:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-o...Bicycle-Tubes/
not too sure about the laptop key one....

Meant to reply when this first came up. They are great for plant ties
i.e. tying shrubs etc to stakes.

Our local roadies seem to think that they make attractive roadside
decorations or I assume that is why they throw them at the roadside!

As do many of the people who commute on Gardiners creek track in
Melbourne; old tubes, tyre levers, bidons, CO2 cartridges from those
people who must have a really urgent commute

Remove norubbish to reply

I do my bit by picking them up and taking them home to repair and re-
use.

Unfortunately I can't do that with all the gel/bar wrappers these
f*ckers discard. Like at the Alpine Classic, they can lug 50g of
liquid lunch up the hill, but they can't manage to take the wrapper
home to the bin. Even in an event like the MTB Epic, where you are out
enjoying natural beauty by direct contact, wrappers are everywhere. It
appalls me that organisers never take a stand about it. Like some anti-
litter promotions, or heaven help us, an emu parade after. I am in
favour of a report/DQ system.

I was amazed at the number of bidons ditched at the side of the road
on the classic, and just in general riding around town.

Similarly the amy's ride down near Geelong; bidons, food wrappers, and
a never ending stream of the ride numbers that had been ditched out of
jersey pockets.

Donga

Adrian
Old February 15th 08, 05:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-o...Bicycle-Tubes/

not too sure about the laptop key one....

Zebee

I use old tubes for many different things in the shed and I always have a
few handy of various diameters so that I only need a pair of scissors to
make rubber bands or bits of rubber of various length. Here are a few uses
that I came up with:

- I have 6 inches or so of mtb tube slipped over my dog's lead with a couple
of plastic bags stuffed in it so that I always have them with me when I am
walking the dog.

- Road tube tied to workbench is what I us to stop my shed door blowing shut

- Inner tubes over the jaws of my workshop stand (Gripsport) to protect my
bikes

- dodgy replacement for the grip on my son's cricket bat

- rubber bands around various tools in my seat bag to keep them together and
stop them rattling

- use road tubes to lash together bamboo stakes for the vege garden
(tomatoes, beans, etc)

- put a layer under light mounts before attaching to my bikes

I'm sure that there are plenty of other uses that people have found for
inner tubes!!!

Gags

Old February 15th 08, 07:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Feb 15, 1:48 pm, "Gags" wrote:
I'm sure that there are plenty of other uses that people have found for
inner tubes!!!

-Hinges
-Catapult elastic
-Flap valves
-Washers
-Blister kit (combined with superglue, it worked, but not one I'd try
again in a hurry)
-sliced into rings as tyres for Lego toys (loooong ago)
-probably many, many others too

Graeme
Old February 15th 08, 10:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Gags" wrote:

I'm sure that there are plenty of other uses that people have found for
inner tubes!!!

A friend uses old tubes knotted to some heavy wire hooks as ockie straps to
secure touring loads.

I have cut up a bit of tube to make a quick & easy light mount for my Fenix
P1D 3W led torch.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old February 15th 08, 11:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

PeteSig wrote:
"Gags" wrote:
I'm sure that there are plenty of other uses that people have found for
inner tubes!!!

A friend uses old tubes knotted to some heavy wire hooks as ockie straps to
secure touring loads.

I have cut up a bit of tube to make a quick & easy light mount for my Fenix
P1D 3W led torch.

My most unusual use of one was repairing the water-level sensor in my
washing machine. It's sort of like a small plastic pill bottle, that
had had a hole chewed in it by rodents while it was stored for a year
in my shed. I used a small cylinder of innertube around the outside,
coated with plenty of silicone goo on the inside. Working just fine
for 6 months now.

BTH
Old February 15th 08, 11:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Ted Linnell

BT Humble wrote:

PeteSig wrote:
"Gags" wrote:
I'm sure that there are plenty of other uses that people have found for
inner tubes!!!

A friend uses old tubes knotted to some heavy wire hooks as ockie straps to
secure touring loads.

I have cut up a bit of tube to make a quick & easy light mount for my Fenix
P1D 3W led torch.

My most unusual use of one was repairing the water-level sensor in my
washing machine. It's sort of like a small plastic pill bottle, that
had had a hole chewed in it by rodents while it was stored for a year
in my shed. I used a small cylinder of innertube around the outside,
coated with plenty of silicone goo on the inside. Working just fine
for 6 months now.

BTH

Around the handle bar, to slip over the brake lever to hold the brake
on, usefull when on the train to stop the bike rolling about.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

1000+ unicycles iridemymuni Unicycling 0 January 19th 07 12:40 AM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 03:37 AM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 10:43 PM
Trek 1000 Sojourn100 Australia 1 July 30th 04 12:47 AM
£1000 / $1000 to spend on new bike.. Calz Mountain Biking 4 September 10th 03 08:48 PM