A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Obstructing biking trails leads to criminal charges

Old January 8th 15, 02:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Obstructing biking trails leads to criminal charges

http://nvan.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage....ten tId=40291

A 64 year-old female is being investigated for allegedly setting up logs and rocks on biking trails with the intention to obstruct mountain bikers. The North Vancouver resident was caught numerous times on hidden trail cams. Caught on camera was an individual appearing to intentionally lay logs, branches, and rocks on the Quarry and Lower Skull trails, located just off the 1200 block of Dempsey Road in North Vancouver. RCMP crest

The arrest came as a result of the observations by two local mountain bikers who regularly use the public trails. Between August 1st and December 29th, 2014, the bikers noticed weekly obstructions on the trail which, at times, became dangerous for them and other bikers. For the month of December 2014, the two bikers took it upon themselves to purchase, install, and monitor security cameras in the hopes of capturing an image of the offender.

On Sunday, January 04, 2015 at approximately 5:00 am, acting on video evidence, the North Vancouver RCMP arrested the female at the head of Quarry Trail.

The alleged suspect was brought before a Justice of the Peace and released with conditions to not attend or go near any of the biking trails tampered with. Police are requesting criminal charges of:

Setting of Trap - Section 247 (1) Criminal Code
Mischief to Property - Sec 430 (1) Criminal Code
The accused is set to appear in court on February 04, 2015 to face the alleged offences.

"These are serious charges - these are public trails and one should not interfere with the lawful enjoyment of the trails and set up traps or obstacles to potentially endanger the lives of people using them," said Cpl. Richard De Jong, spokesperson for the North Vancouver RCMP. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt or injured in these incidents.

Released by

Cpl. Richard De Jong
North Vancouver
File # 2015-77
2015-01-07 07:54 PST
Ads
Old January 14th 15, 12:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
SMS
external usenet poster

On 1/7/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:

A 64 year-old female is being investigated for allegedly setting up logs and rocks on biking trails with the intention to obstruct mountain bikers. The North Vancouver resident was caught numerous times on hidden trail cams. Caught on camera was an individual appearing to intentionally lay logs, branches, and rocks on the Quarry and Lower Skull trails, located just off the 1200 block of Dempsey Road in North Vancouver. RCMP crest

The arrest came as a result of the observations by two local mountain bikers who regularly use the public trails. Between August 1st and December 29th, 2014, the bikers noticed weekly obstructions on the trail which, at times, became dangerous for them and other bikers. For the month of December 2014, the two bikers took it upon themselves to purchase, install, and monitor security cameras in the hopes of capturing an image of the offender.

On Sunday, January 04, 2015 at approximately 5:00 am, acting on video evidence, the North Vancouver RCMP arrested the female at the head of Quarry Trail.

The alleged suspect was brought before a Justice of the Peace and released with conditions to not attend or go near any of the biking trails tampered with. Police are requesting criminal charges of:

The accused is set to appear in court on February 04, 2015 to face the alleged offences.

"These are serious charges - these are public trails and one should not interfere with the lawful enjoyment of the trails and set up traps or obstacles to potentially endanger the lives of people using them," said Cpl. Richard De Jong, spokesperson for the North Vancouver RCMP. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt or injured in these incidents.

A few years ago there was a case in northern California where a criminal
attacked mountain bikers but he did it in person, not by setting traps.
He was eventually captured by police and he went to trial and was found
guilty of some of the charges. He served a little jail time but then got
community service.

However in that case the mountain bikers were on a fire trail that is
posted no bicycles. That doesn't excuse the attack of course, and after
his conviction he probably won't be a repeat offender, but in this case
the criminal was interfering with bicycles on an actual biking trail.

Personally I think that on busy trails that biking and hiking use should
alternate, at least during busy times on weekends. I hate having a
speeding mountain bike on a trail that I'm hiking on, and I don't like
disturbing hikers when I'm mountain biking. But both uses are legitimate.

The one thing I really hate on trails is horses. I went backpacking in
Point Reyes last year, and many of the trails are just a total mess
because of horses. Equestrians don't clean up after themselves, horses
cause far more erosion than hikers or bikers, and the horses are easily
spooked. At the very least they should ban horses from all but fire
roads, and only allow them one weekend a month.

Old January 15th 15, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 3:31:38 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:

A 64 year-old female is being investigated for allegedly setting up logs and rocks on biking trails with the intention to obstruct mountain bikers.. The North Vancouver resident was caught numerous times on hidden trail cams. Caught on camera was an individual appearing to intentionally lay logs, branches, and rocks on the Quarry and Lower Skull trails, located just off the 1200 block of Dempsey Road in North Vancouver. RCMP crest

A few years ago there was a case in northern California where a criminal
attacked mountain bikers

LIAR. Can you say "charge dismissed"?

but he did it in person, not by setting traps.
He was eventually captured by police and he went to trial and was found
guilty of some of the charges. He served a little jail time but then got
community service.

However in that case the mountain bikers were on a fire trail that is
posted no bicycles. That doesn't excuse the attack of course, and after
his conviction he probably won't be a repeat offender, but in this case
the criminal was interfering with bicycles on an actual biking trail.

Nonsense. Mountain bikers started riding the trail illegally when it was a hiking-only trail.

Personally I think that on busy trails that biking and hiking use should
alternate, at least during busy times on weekends. I hate having a
speeding mountain bike on a trail that I'm hiking on, and I don't like
disturbing hikers when I'm mountain biking. But both uses are legitimate.

The one thing I really hate on trails is horses. I went backpacking in
Point Reyes last year, and many of the trails are just a total mess
because of horses. Equestrians don't clean up after themselves, horses
cause far more erosion than hikers or bikers, and the horses are easily
spooked. At the very least they should ban horses from all but fire
roads, and only allow them one weekend a month.

Horses evolved in North America and have the right to go wherever they want to. BIKES are machinery, and have no rights. It's not fair to the MAJORITY (hikers) to ban them from their trails. The only fair solution is to ban BIKES. Then everyone can share the trails without problems. There is NO GOOD REASON to allow bikes on trails.
Old April 26th 15, 06:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
PG
external usenet poster

sms wrote:

What was the bitch playing at? ! !