Bicycle Registration

Old July 11th 03, 04:04 PM
Jerry Rhodes

Default Bicycle Registration

A bit more than wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:54:18 +1000, "kingsley"
wrote:

If you can call them roads. Deep ruts and washaways were very common

100 years ago.

Here in the good old US of A it was the clamoring by the bicycling
public that caused the improvement and paving of roads. Even the Via
Appia was great for carts and foot traffic but would have been hell on
bicycles.

It seems that "we have been hoisted by our own petard".

Jerry

Old July 11th 03, 11:42 PM
Peter Cremasco

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:54:46 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
wrote:

Err, what crap is that? The bicycle I was riding in WA in the 1950's
had a standardised numberplate, as did everybody else's. Yes, we had
registration, it cost 2/6 ($0.25) per annum. Attaching the numberplate
was not a problem.

But but but ... Theo! What about the turbulence effecting the
aerodynamic handling at normal commuting speeds? As far as I know, most
bicycles haven't been wind tunnel tested or designed to cope with the
perturbations in air flow that a number plate would cause.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Old July 12th 03, 03:56 AM
Peter Signorini

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
"Andre S." wrote

they also think its a simple matter to attach standardised number

plates to every bicycle!
none of which have been designed for such.

Err, what crap is that? The bicycle I was riding in WA in the 1950's
had a standardised numberplate, as did everybody else's. Yes, we had
registration, it cost 2/6 ($0.25) per annum. Attaching the numberplate
was not a problem.

About 25 years ago I paid an organisation called the Bicycle Register Co. to
provide 'registration' of my bike (really just keeping their own record)
with insurance coverage against theft. They gave me a numbered disc a bit
bigger than a 50c piece, simple to attach with one bolt to a rack eyelet or
brake mount. Trouble was of course, any fool with a spanner can nick it too.
I didn't perservere with the insurance for long.

We're not in the 50s. These days the security of our bikes is a more serious
issue. We have enough trouble ensuring the bike, or it's pedals, saddle,
wheels...etc. don't get stolen. How would VicRoads deal with me when I tell
them my rego plate was stolen?

Cheers
Peter