Pound To Sally Jenkins

Old August 24th 04, 04:17 PM
Tom Paterson

From: Ernst Noch

(Tom Paterson wrote_:

[...] "litany of anti-American smears" [...]
"Dick Pound is simply un-American [...]
"Given Dick Pound's anti-American bias [...]

(E.N. replied):

Woah, I guess they should just get the Department of Homeland Security
involved. Seriously, argue like that and you know you have lost.

Whoa yourself, I didn't "write", I quoted others' words. Pound is a Canadian;
some anti-USA bias would not be at all unusual. A whole lot of anti-USA bias
wouldn't be unusual. That's a sidelight, at worst. I forget who Pound lost to
in the 1960 Olympics, whether it was an Australian team or team USA. Another
sidelight. Main subject is the oh-so-public threat to Jones. That and the
"network of informants" who will supply "testimony" to convict by
"non-analytical positive".

Let's go back to the quotes, snipped:
(from http://tinyurl.com/5ahvp )

While acknowledging that Jones has never been charged with a doping offence,
the Montreal lawyer pointed out it might be possible to strip an athlete of
Olympic medals up to eight years later. That means Jones' five medals from the
2000 Sydney Games could be at risk if she is found guilty of using
performance-enhancing substances.

Jones' ex-husband, C.J. Hunter, reportedly has told federal authorities in the
Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe that Jones used banned drugs before,
during and after the 2000 Games.

Jones has vehemently and repeatedly denied using any banned substance.

"If she's innocent, she comes here and that's fine," Pound said. "And if she's
not and comes here and has made all those statements, it's going to be a dark
and deep hole into which she goes. It would be a shame."

That would be "an ex-husband who has admitted to steroid use has implicated his
former wife" for steroid use, under questioning by officials. Then a lawyer
working in connection with said officials threatened said wife, while she is
still under investigation ("ongoing", not completed), with retroactive
stripping of medals (in retaliation for making statements critical of
investigating agencies) if she is somehow "found guilty" of steroid use.

Well they have an ex-husband with his ass in a crack dishing dirt. What's next,
a terminated coach, doctor, a former teammate she vastly outshone? How about
some folks she beat in races? Or a faded star of decades passed? Unknown pills
in a parking lot, or discarded syringes?

"Kangaroo court" is the correct expression. Truly, this shoe has pinched
mightily.

Better: Get a positive A&B sample, possession, and/or an uncoerced confession
(not "we're going to take your medals away unless you tell us what we want to
hear"). Then you can "convict" with real evidence. Note recent shining
examples; it can be done, and it stinks a lot less doing it that way. --TP
Old August 24th 04, 09:09 PM
Ernst Noch

From: Ernst Noch

(Tom Paterson wrote_:

[...] "litany of anti-American smears" [...]
"Dick Pound is simply un-American [...]
"Given Dick Pound's anti-American bias [...]

(E.N. replied):

Woah, I guess they should just get the Department of Homeland Security
involved. Seriously, argue like that and you know you have lost.

Whoa yourself, I didn't "write", I quoted others' words.

Sorry, I thought my "double quoting" ( "bla" vs bla) would make it
clear that that weren't your words. It's just that this "antiamerican"
nonsense has been taken much too far, not to mention the braindeadness
involved in calling a canadian "un-American". Duh!

Pound is a Canadian;
some anti-USA bias would not be at all unusual. A whole lot of anti-USA bias
wouldn't be unusual. That's a sidelight, at worst.

For non-extremists disregard for a certain nationality is almost never
the main motivator for their actions. Maybe Mr. Pound has a problem with
american athletes or sports officials, antiamericanism is not convincing
as an explanation for some of his criticizable actions.

Thanks,
Ernst