tube for duro 24x3

Old February 3rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default tube for duro 24x3

For those who have/use the duro 24x3 DH tire, what tube are you using??
I would think the thorn-resistent variety would be best, especially for
Moab, but UDC does not have them; only the basic 24x3 "nokian" tube.
This tube apparently IS made from heavier-than-normal rubber, so it's
probably the one to get. Just wondered if there might be a better
choice.

--
terrybigwheel

Terry
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Old February 3rd 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

For a year I used heavy duty tubes with a Duro and kept getting flats
(just like Josh did this last weekend). Then I switched over to a
lightweight Specialized 24 X 2.6/3.0 (as marked on the box) tube and,
even with all those rocky drops on G Spot and up in SB, I've never
since flatted (5 months).

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old February 3rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

vivalargo wrote:
For a year I used heavy duty tubes with a Duro and kept getting flats
(just like Josh did this last weekend). Then I switched over to a
lightweight Specialized 24 X 2.6/3.0 (as marked on the box) tube and,
even with all those rocky drops on G Spot and up in SB, I've never
since flatted (5 months).

JL

"lightweight"? Hmmm, sounds like it's not even heavyduty. I just
checked the specialized website, and they DO have "thornproof" tubes,
but nowhere could I find size availablity. If you know more, please
fill me in.

Old February 3rd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think you would be fine with the DH tube already on your DX. Any
reason not to? It would work right?

--
forrestunifreak

I do not believe in computer programers.
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

"If I am ever that good I will be in a constant state of crapping my
pants." ~ koebwil

Old February 3rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

currently I have the torker dx (2006) 24", with the standard tube that
it came with, so I'm not sure when/if I make the jump to a 24x3 duro,
that it will be large enough for the bigger tire; Unless the current
tube's range is up to 3.0. Plus, it's probably not a bad idea to have
an extra tube, eh? thanks

Old February 3rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

terrybigwheel wrote:
For those who have/use the duro 24x3 DH tire, what tube are you using??
I would think the thorn-resistent variety would be best, especially for
Moab, but UDC does not have them; only the basic 24x3 "nokian" tube.
This tube apparently IS made from heavier-than-normal rubber, so it's
probably the one to get. Just wondered if there might be a better
choice.

As John mentioned I just got a flat with the Duro tube (using a Gazz
outer tire). I swapped to the Nokian, but I haven't ridden much on it
yet, so I have no input about it. I rode for several months before
popping the Duro, and I'm fairly lightweight.

If you're really worried about puncture flats, you can just fill any
old tube with 'slime.' (http://tinyurl.com/7dlty)

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old February 3rd 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hey Entropy (sorry but I don't know your actual name) where in Cali are
you? Seems not to be ANY forum members in Los Angeles County! I did
meet one other Coker-er (we're riding the bike path near Mailbu this
Sunday) but not on this list.

Old February 3rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have the Nokian 24x3" tube from UDC for Oberon, my semi-custom Muni.

--
UniTyler

--- Class 8.4 Advanced Artistic Rider ---
--- From Carol McLean's Not-Yet-Released New USA Skill Levels
---
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old February 3rd 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

UDC just informed me that they now have the DURO 24x3 in stock. $10.
Don't know whether it's the same or better than the Nokian, but it is
the matched DH tube for the Duro 24x3 tire.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

terrybigwheel wrote:
Hey Entropy (sorry but I don't know your actual name) where in Cali are
you? Seems not to be ANY forum members in Los Angeles County! I did
meet one other Coker-er (we're riding the bike path near Mailbu this
Sunday) but not on this list.

Hey Terry, there's a few of us forum readers in and around LA.
There's me, vivalargo, teachndad and kohpee and a few others who are
lurkers / I'm forgetting. Leadpan does MUni on his Coker down in
Orange County. Largo and I occasionally ride MUni through Malibu
Creek, off of Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Road. It's an exercise in
tractoring, and not nearly as fun as the trails in San Fernando, Simi
and Santa Barbara.