Dog bite yesterday :(

Old April 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Default Dog bite yesterday :(

AT work we have these high frequency noise thingos which I am supposed to
use if attacked LOL... wonder if it works on a dog? Might bring it home for
our mut and have a go :P
Kathy

Old April 15th 07, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-15, Jack Russell (aka Bruce)
Terryc wrote:
Campag_nut wrote:
I suppose that brings me to a question: when do kids get to an age
where cycling is possible over any distance???

There was a study published somewhere that kids under the age of about
10 d0 not the coordination or concentration to ride safely on roads.
Sorry cannot tell you more than that.

That's a load of crap. What I really hate is when society assumes
everybody is the same. A person under 14 can't decide for themselves,
so we must decide for them. That's bull****. I remember being a
sentient being before I was 10.

--
TimC
aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes

And here I thought it was the fear of robotic Japanese dogs.
-- Tom "Tom" Harrington
Old April 15th 07, 10:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:30:19 +1000
TimC wrote:

That's a load of crap. What I really hate is when society assumes
everybody is the same. A person under 14 can't decide for themselves,
so we must decide for them. That's bull****. I remember being a
sentient being before I was 10.

I certainly remember being required to do my homework and answer
questions and do the chores assigned as a member of my class or cop a
ruler on the palm from Mrs Parkin, so she at least thought a 9yo was
capable of taking responsibility.

Zebee
- graduate of a very old fashioned primary school.
Old April 15th 07, 11:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Halcyon

LotteBum wrote:
rant
To those advocating baiting the dog, having it destroyed etc, get a
****ing clue!! Dogs are a product of their owners - much like children
are (unfortunately) a product of their parents.

Sure, do what you have to do to defend yourself, and sue the pants off
the owner (or bait _them_), but realise that the dog is just doing what
it's bred to do.

A few weeks ago, I was chased by a cattle dog on Mount Lindesay Highway
at Munruben. Initially it gave me a fright as I wasn't expecting it,
but then I just growled at the dog and yelled at it and it stopped. I
actually felt sorry for the dog because it was only doing it's job -
what it has been bred and raised to do. Bred to chase, brought up to
protect someone's property, yet the bogan owners had obviously left the
gate open or something of equal stupidity.

We choose to live in a country inhabited by a huge number of pig
shootin' sheep rootin' bogans - if we don't like it, we should just
**** off and find another country to live in, shouldn't we? Or stop
wanking on about the migrant/refugee 'problems' we encounter and
concentrate on the real problem we have - bogans.

/rant

Just had to get that off my chest. Have a nice day.

Interesting rant Lotte and sure enough a dog can be a product of it's
owner, but all the same, a dead dog never hurt anyone.
And as for not having a clue, well I think that being the owner of
several thousand sheep and shooting , on average 1 dog a year for the
last 34 years does give me an insight into dogs and their owners.
You might think that if a dog is causing trouble (be it sheep or
cyclists)that warning the owner would be sufficient to ameliorate the
problem. Not so. What happens is that the owner will generally keep
their dog secured for a period, but after a while they start to get
slack again or feel sorry for the animal being locked up and let it go
loose again and, voila, the dog is attacking sheep or cyclists again.
If the dog is then killed they know who to blame. Much better to kill
the dog and say nothing. I am speaking from experience here.
Now I have no time for the said bogans (good definitions he
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bogan
but it is interesting to note that nearly all my trouble comes from
your average middle class home. Alsatians seem to be the favourite,
followed by labradors then the usual kelpie or heeler crosses and after
that anything goes...samoyed, great dane, jack russell (sorry mate)and 3
weeks ago my neighbours foxhound. Not many of these are your typical
bogan dog.Twice lately on my early morning ride I have had a pointer
rush out at me with seemingly evil intent. After the last rush I
informed him that if he did it again I would kill him...I will be
interested to see if he takes note!
As for making comments about shooting or baiting the owners, well some
owners get very irate when you shoot their dog and having to shoot the
owner as well is a possibility, albeit small. I well remember a friend
locked in his ute with the .22 rifle and the angry owner jumping up and
down on the ute roof until the police came.
Enough of that for now, but I would be interested to know Lotte what
your experience is in these matters that give you the authority to
accuse some (me?) of not having a clue?
Old April 16th 07, 01:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

John Henderson wrote:

I want one which works on magpies.

Magpies don't bark.

Theo

Old April 16th 07, 03:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Theo Bekkers wrote:
John Henderson wrote:

I want one which works on magpies.

Magpies don't bark.

But they do sing beautifully.
It is when they are silent that you have to start worrying (like with kids).

Ullrich grabs a bite Michael Racing 14 July 15th 05 02:00 AM
Pedals go 'round before they bite. DrC Techniques 11 June 17th 05 01:56 PM
bite your tongue loke General 25 May 25th 05 01:15 PM
Bat Bite Part 2 HughMann Australia 3 December 8th 04 12:09 PM
Bee sting/bite q's-Long Cat Dailey Racing 32 August 12th 04 01:36 AM