Help!! Please!! Sugino Crank problem

Old April 16th 07, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

Default Help!! Please!! Sugino Crank problem

Hi,

I am trying to remove an ancient (circa 1983) one key (6mm allen key)
release crank. The left hand side came off ok.

The right hand side (drive train side) is not budging. I'm assuming it
threads off clockwise. Am I assuming falsely?? If not, how do they come
off against the ratchet of the cluster?

These retro jobs are supposed to be "instant release" but I guess not in my
case. Thanks in advance for any adivce you may share!

CN

Old April 16th 07, 09:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Campag_nut wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to remove an ancient (circa 1983) one key (6mm allen key)
release crank. The left hand side came off ok.

The right hand side (drive train side) is not budging. I'm assuming it
threads off clockwise. Am I assuming falsely?? If not, how do they come
off against the ratchet of the cluster?

These retro jobs are supposed to be "instant release" but I guess not in my
case. Thanks in advance for any adivce you may share!

CN

I just sold my one key bolts on Ebay so cannot check but my memory is
that both sides undo normally i.e. anti clockwise

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old April 16th 07, 10:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-04-16, Jack Russell wrote:
Campag_nut wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to remove an ancient (circa 1983) one key (6mm allen key)
release crank. The left hand side came off ok.

The right hand side (drive train side) is not budging. I'm assuming it
threads off clockwise. Am I assuming falsely?? If not, how do they come
off against the ratchet of the cluster?

These retro jobs are supposed to be "instant release" but I guess not in my
case. Thanks in advance for any adivce you may share!

CN

I just sold my one key bolts on Ebay so cannot check but my memory is
that both sides undo normally i.e. anti clockwise

They do, (at least mine do), at a guess the BB spindles were not
greased when the cranks were installed. I`d remove the one piece thingo
with a pin spanner (From memory this is possible while the cranks are
installed) then lay the bike on it's side and put penetrene or WD40
in the spindle/crank interface and leave to soak for a couple of hours.

Cheers

Joel
Old April 16th 07, 11:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

Thanks very much guys.

Yes, I was in fact turning it the wrong way! (It seemed logical at the
time...)

Sheepish grin.

Old April 16th 07, 12:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 16, 8:54 pm, "Campag_nut" wrote:
Thanks very much guys.

Yes, I was in fact turning it the wrong way! (It seemed logical at the
time...)

Sheepish grin.

If you look up on the Park Tools website (or equivalent), it can save
you the embarrassing questions! ;-)