Best track pump

Old May 10th 07, 06:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default Best track pump

Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

Cheers.

Donga

Old May 10th 07, 06:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum[_11_]

Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

Cheers.

Donga

We had a Giyo 52V (I think) pump from Torpedo7 which lasted for almost
a year. The bottom plate is wobbly, even after I replaced the screw
that fell out. After a year of use the smart head didn't depress the
schrader valve, and it leaked air when putting it on a presta valve.

We then got a replacement pump donated by a nearby bike shop. It's
branded "Giant", but it looks like it is exactly the same pump. We'll
see how long this one lasts.

I would have liked to try a Topeak pump at work. I've got one at home
and I'd rate it better than the Giyo. You can buy replacement Topeak
pump heads.

I guess the problem is infrequent users who don't know how to use the
pump head, and who don't know the difference between a presta and
schrader valve. One cyclist had to explain to another how you use the
clamp to stop the pump head coming off the valve. They were attempting
to push it on harder to prevent it coming off.

Our pump gets used every 1-2 days. A chain prevents it from moving
more than 2m from its home.

--
ghostgum

Old May 10th 07, 07:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

Old May 10th 07, 07:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On May 10, 4:18 pm, Bleve wrote:
On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga wrote:

Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
LBS. Any experience with these?

Donga

Old May 10th 07, 08:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 10, 4:45 pm, Donga wrote:
On May 10, 4:18 pm, Bleve wrote:

On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga wrote:

Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
LBS. Any experience with these?

Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
wants to save $15 ...

Old May 10th 07, 09:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On May 10, 5:24 pm, Bleve wrote:
On May 10, 4:45 pm, Donga wrote:

On May 10, 4:18 pm, Bleve wrote:

On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga wrote:

Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
LBS. Any experience with these?

Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
wants to save $15 ...

.... I agree. One of those very insistent people ... and she remembers
like an elephant the old Silcas that seem very low tech (even if they
work).

Donga

Old May 10th 07, 10:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum[_12_]

Bleve Wrote:
On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year

until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new

one,
that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

One shop recommended these, but I was told that Silca didn't come with
a smart head. So the pump has one fitting on the end, and you have to
screw on an adapter for the other valve style. I thought there would
be too much risk of the adapter going missing.

If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

--
ghostgum

Old May 10th 07, 12:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_17_]

I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
has had a lifetime of abuse.

--
suzyj

Old May 10th 07, 12:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_46_]

suzyj Wrote:
I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
has had a lifetime of abuse.

I've got a Giant pump which I reckon was pretty good value, and is
still pumpin' - but geez...15 YEARS !!??!! You gotta be happy with
that !?!

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old May 10th 07, 03:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

suzyj wrote:

I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
has had a lifetime of abuse.

We're an all Schraeder valve family and our Silca works fine on all our
bikes at home. The only problem I've had with the pump is finding a
replacement part for the plastic washer that sits behind the leather cup
inside the pump. Someone on a.b provided one, otherwise they are
imposible to find in Australia.

Like most people, I'd vote for a Silca. 10 years of experience says it's
easy to use for anyone from age 7 upwards.

New tyres & track pump Campag_nut Australia 0 March 24th 07 07:30 AM
Top Dog track pump Brendo Australia 5 April 2nd 06 08:48 AM
blackburn track pump davek UK 16 May 11th 04 11:54 AM
Track pump recommendation? Rick UK 16 March 20th 04 07:34 PM
Using a Track Pump as a Shock Pump? DC Techniques 1 February 13th 04 01:41 AM