Best track pump

Old May 10th 07, 09:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
hippy[_28_]

Default Best track pump

Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

Silca. None of this new fangled plastic crap.
Alas, mine is in Oz. It's been replaced with a cheap, but so far
effective, Planet-X one

hippy
pump up the jam, pump it up

--
hippy

Old May 11th 07, 01:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

hippy wrote:
Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
until it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a
new one, that will last rather longer.

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and you're
there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall. (Can't
trust bikies).

Theo

Old May 11th 07, 01:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum[_13_]

Theo Bekkers Wrote:

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and
you're
there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall.
(Can't
trust bikies).

Are you talking about a little compressor (the size you carry in the
boot of a car), or a big one? I would have thought the danger is from
those whose transportation is large enough to carry a compressor.

The chain and padlock cost almost as much as a cheap track pump.

--
ghostgum

Old May 11th 07, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

ghostgum wrote:
Theo Bekkers Wrote:

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and
you're
there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall.
(Can't
trust bikies).

Are you talking about a little compressor (the size you carry in the
boot of a car), or a big one? I would have thought the danger is from
those whose transportation is large enough to carry a compressor.

A littly you can carry of with one arm. Unfortunately honest people are
getting more scarce.

Theo

Old May 11th 07, 02:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 11, 10:29 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
hippy wrote:
Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
until it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a
new one, that will last rather longer.

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and you're
there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall. (Can't
trust bikies).

Electricity's free and carbon-neutral, compressors don't risk blowing
tyres off rims when mis-used, I've seen plenty of presta valve
fittings for airlines in my time too .. yeah. great idea.

Maybe they can just drive to work?

Theo

Old May 11th 07, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Bleve wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50
and you're there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor
it to a wall. (Can't trust bikies).

Electricity's free and carbon-neutral,

No, but people have been known to fart when using manual pumps.

compressors don't risk blowing tyres off rims when mis-used,

You can't help stupidity, and even cyclists will learn :-) On the other
hand, a cheap compressor won't do much more than 120 lbs anyway.

I've seen plenty of presta valve fittings for airlines in my time too

There's one on the end of the airline of my pump. Geez, there's one on the
other pump as well. Wow, there's one on the little short airline I made up
for the compressor too. Bloody things are everywhere.

.. yeah. great idea.

Glad you liked it mate.

Maybe they can just drive to work?

Nah.

Theo

Old May 11th 07, 05:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

ghostgum wrote:
If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

....if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
valves... :-)

BTH

Old May 11th 07, 05:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

BT Humble wrote:
ghostgum wrote:
If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
valves... :-)

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
gram!!

Theo

Old May 11th 07, 06:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

hippy wrote:
Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

Silca. None of this new fangled plastic crap.
Alas, mine is in Oz. It's been replaced with a cheap, but so far
effective, Planet-X one

hippy
pump up the jam, pump it up

I bought a el cheapo plastic pump to replace my Silca that had never
really worked properly and the plastic one keeps going and going and
going. It has a nice little gauge and connections for both types of
valves. The Chinese are getting pretty clever now.

Friday
Old May 11th 07, 06:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
roshea[_45_]

Keep everyone (apart from the obligatory misers) happy:

Silca track pump + Topeak Smarthead = reliable pump with no fuffing
around for different valve types.

--
roshea

New tyres & track pump Campag_nut Australia 0 March 24th 07 08:30 AM
Top Dog track pump Brendo Australia 5 April 2nd 06 08:48 AM
blackburn track pump davek UK 16 May 11th 04 11:54 AM
Track pump recommendation? Rick UK 16 March 20th 04 08:34 PM
Using a Track Pump as a Shock Pump? DC Techniques 1 February 13th 04 02:41 AM