Best track pump

Old May 11th 07, 08:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_143_]

Default Best track pump

roshea Wrote:
Keep everyone (apart from the obligatory misers) happy:

Silca track pump + Topeak Smarthead = reliable pump with no fuffing
around for different valve types.

tried that but found the Smarthead wasnt so smart and often fluffed its
task on the Prestas ( which wasnt noice).... so decided time to go
straight Presta for everything...and keep an adaptor for Schrader
visitors.
Even my old Roadster, which is non Presta, has Woods valves, which are
neat, they are the size of Schrader but neck down to Presta so I can
use the Silca Pista Track Pump anyway.
Silca Pista....one great pump...fuss free...delivers the goods.

--
rooman

Old May 11th 07, 11:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Theo Bekkers wrote:
BTHumble wrote:
ghostgum wrote:
If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
valves... :-)

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
gram!!

I thought you weren't interested in holy wars, old boy? ;-)

BTH

Old May 11th 07, 11:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
BT Humble wrote:
ghostgum wrote:
If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
valves... :-)

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
gram!!

Theo

Often wonered about that. The rear shock on my duallie runs around 200psi
and has a schraeder valve. My tyres run around 35psi and have presta... ?

me

Old May 11th 07, 12:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Blue Heeler

Plodder wrote:

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh
an extra gram!!

Theo

Often wonered about that. The rear shock on my duallie runs around
200psi and has a schraeder valve. My tyres run around 35psi and have
presta... ?

And the air over oil spring/shock unit on the back of my BMW is up
around the 250~300psi mark and it uses.........A schraeder.

Old May 11th 07, 12:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
wants to save $15 ...

I have got a Silca at home that is now 6 years old and gets used every
morning before I ride to work. About 3 months ago I managed to blow out the
leather washer when I was putting my track bike's singles up to 160 psi but
I have since replaced it and the pump is good as new again.

I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work (the
model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
hassles.

The only area where they lack is when I have to pump up mtb tyres from
scratch as the trade off of having a narrow body on the pump to achieve high
pressures is that you end up with reduced volume of air. If you are getting
a pump and are only going to use it for mtb tyres then I would recommend
getting something with a fatter body on it.

Gags

Old May 11th 07, 11:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message

[...]

As you guessed, the application is to pump up every variety of bike/
tire. As for using the thing properly, I posted simple instructions
but that doesn't help people from using it the complete reverse of
correctly - sheesh!

The opinion here overwhelmingly is to get the Silca, but I think I'm
going to give the money to our user who insists on the Tioga, along
with the advice in this thread, and see what she does.

Donga

Old May 12th 07, 10:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" wrote:

I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work (the
model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
hassles.

Gags

This is the model that I have - have had it working for almost 15
years!!

Now here is a question. The end won't stay on the valve anymore by
itself - I have to hold it on with the toes of my left foot, while I
have my right foot on the 'base' of the pump while I, ummm, pump.

Is that normal?! Or should I be able to get the thing repaired,
whatever, so that it holds itslef on the tyre valve again....??

Cheers,
Abby (hope that made sense!!)

Old May 12th 07, 02:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Absent Husband" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" wrote:

I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work
(the
model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
hassles.

Gags

This is the model that I have - have had it working for almost 15
years!!

Now here is a question. The end won't stay on the valve anymore by
itself - I have to hold it on with the toes of my left foot, while I
have my right foot on the 'base' of the pump while I, ummm, pump.

Is that normal?! Or should I be able to get the thing repaired,
whatever, so that it holds itslef on the tyre valve again....??

Cheers,
Abby (hope that made sense!!)

I am pretty sure that you can get a replacement rubber washer for inside the
"end bit" of the pump or it might be just as easy to replace the entire
valve head.........these guys have them for $28...
http://www.kennedydirect.com/store/v...?idProduct=181

Gags

Old May 14th 07, 01:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

BT Humble wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an
extra gram!!

I thought you weren't interested in holy wars, old boy? ;-)

I love wars, particularly if they involve words, not weapons. However, the
ones involving deities are the most futile.

Theo

Old May 14th 07, 01:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
slaw[_5_]

Absent Husband Wrote:
On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" wrote:

[...]

Following a link from another thread, I find these tips.
http://www.m-gineering.nl/techdexg.htm Scroll down to Tip 2:

The sealing ring in Presta valveheads is a consumable. And the hose
usually starts blowing of the valve at the most inconvenient moments.
Pumping tires with one hand on the pump, using the other to prevent the
pumphead from blowing of is possible but not very convenient. I prefer a
quick fix:

- unscrew the valvehead and remove the rubber sealing ring
- wrap a piece of masking tape around the rubber ring
- refit the sealing ring

--
slaw

New tyres & track pump Campag_nut Australia 0 March 24th 07 08:30 AM
Top Dog track pump Brendo Australia 5 April 2nd 06 08:48 AM
blackburn track pump davek UK 16 May 11th 04 11:54 AM
Track pump recommendation? Rick UK 16 March 20th 04 08:34 PM
Using a Track Pump as a Shock Pump? DC Techniques 1 February 13th 04 02:41 AM