Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz

Old March 13th 04, 01:59 AM
Joe Donaldson

Default Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz

Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes (1.25
trailer hitch).
It has straps that you fasten down over the bike frame or the tire I
guess. Instructions were not very straightforward and I know this is a
dumb question.

Do most people fasten the bikes to the bike rack via the tires OR via
the frame? Or does it depend?

My girlfriend has the female frame (on her bike as well as her body)
and perhaps I might have problems if I do not try to mount via tires.
Perhaps it may not even fit. If I try the frame then the bike would be
very crooked on the two Yakima arms.

Or do I need to buy a connection post (guess I would have to measure
one)?

The rack I bought is this: http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Thanks,
Joe
Old March 13th 04, 02:02 PM
Rick Onanian

On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800, (Joe Donaldson)
wrote:
Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes (1.25
trailer hitch).
The rack I bought is this:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was completely unable
to find one to fit more than two bikes, and haven't even seen one
for 2" hitches for more than three bikes.

It has straps that you fasten down over the bike frame or the tire I
guess. Instructions were not very straightforward and I know this is a
dumb question.

Do you mean the rubber straps that are part of the rubber blocks
attached to the arms? Those go on the frame, holding the bike
right-side-up.

Do most people fasten the bikes to the bike rack via the tires OR via
the frame? Or does it depend?

I always did both. I used a trunk rack, and when I got the trunk
rack sufficiently secured to the car, I could get the bike secured
to the rack by using the rack's rubber straps around the top tube,
and a web-buckle-strap similar to a belt through both wheels and
around the rack.

A similar strap, much more heavy duty, with a more complex buckle:
http://www.atkenco.com/staticsite/prodpg514.asp

A page full of those heavy duty straps:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...=*&cat=4501519

I can't seem to find the light-duty cheap straps that I used.

Ah, here they a
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...productId=9184
except those are too short. I think it took a 6 foot strap to get
inside both wheels and around the rack.

Here's some nice ones, 6 feet long, with quick releases too:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...productId=7782

My girlfriend has the female frame (on her bike as well as her body)

Heheh...well, the female-framed body IS preferable on a female.

and perhaps I might have problems if I do not try to mount via tires.
Perhaps it may not even fit. If I try the frame then the bike would be
very crooked on the two Yakima arms.

You may be able to mount one of the rubber block straps on the
seatpost, and the other on the frame, for a reasonably level bike.
Be sure to use at least one more strap to secure the bike well.

Or do I need to buy a connection post (guess I would have to measure
one)?

That would work.
--
Rick Onanian
Old March 13th 04, 03:42 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800,
(Joe Donaldson)
wrote:
Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes (1.25
trailer hitch).
The rack I bought is this:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was completely unable
to find one to fit more than two bikes, and haven't even seen one
for 2" hitches for more than three bikes.

I've got a Rhode Gear 1-1/4" one for 4 bikes.

Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old March 13th 04, 08:39 PM
Joe Donaldson

Thanks very much. I did order a connecting bar so female bikes could be held.
So we shall see how it all works.
Joe

David Kerber wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800,
(Joe Donaldson)

Old March 14th 04, 02:08 AM
Joe Donaldson

Thanks everyone.

wrote:
Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes (1.25
trailer hitch).
The rack I bought is this:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was completely unable
to find one to fit more than two bikes, and haven't even seen one
for 2" hitches for more than three bikes.

I've got a Rhode Gear 1-1/4" one for 4 bikes.

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Thule 978 Easy Rider rack question. . Coneill General 2 July 24th 03 12:34 AM
Trailer Hitch Bike Racks.... Pat General 0 July 20th 03 07:40 PM