Help with ultimate wheel

Old July 25th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Default Help with ultimate wheel

so yesterday, after making very little progress for over an hour, i
suddenly left the wall, kept my eyes up, and did 2 complete
revolutions. then a bit later i did 3 complete revolutions !!!

One question: the pedals don't seem wide enough to keep my (size 13)
feet safely on -- my foot is quite a bit wider than the pedals.

1. should i get wider pedals?
2. pedal recommendations? are metal pedals a pro or con?

Another issue: It seems that since i fall so much, it has inevitably
occurred that my toes jam into the "spokes."

Does this happen to other people? I'm thinking I need a shoe with a
reinforced toe. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly, are ankle biters helpful or do they get in the way? I find
they occasionally jam into the "spokes."

Thanks.

Billy

--
BillyTheMountain

TEAM YAMS member
"'Coincidence' is the hobgoblin of those with no hope of finding an
explanation." --BillyTheMountain
http://www.1800genocide.com/ the first-ever anti-genocide hotline.
Old July 25th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Good job, BTM!

Not sure about you "spokes" troubles, since mine is a solid plywood
disc.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old July 26th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain wrote:
One question: the pedals don't seem wide enough to keep my (size 13)
feet safely on -- my foot is quite a bit wider than the pedals.

1. should i get wider pedals?
2. pedal recommendations? are metal pedals a pro or con?

Another issue: It seems that since i fall so much, it has inevitably
occurred that my toes jam into the "spokes."

Does this happen to other people? I'm thinking I need a shoe with a
reinforced toe. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly, are ankle biters helpful or do they get in the way? I find
they occasionally jam into the "spokes."

Thanks.

Billy

Yesterday I did 6 full revolutions, 5 revolutions a few times, but
still mostly nones, halfs and ones, over the course of an hour.

I ride the 28" with the Star of David design, and I'm still looking for
answers to the above quoted questions.

Thanks for the encouragement, Steveyo!!

Billy

Old July 26th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain wrote:
One question: the pedals don't seem wide enough to keep my (size 13)
feet safely on -- my foot is quite a bit wider than the pedals.

1. should i get wider pedals?
2. pedal recommendations? are metal pedals a pro or con?

Another issue: It seems that since i fall so much, it has inevitably
occurred that my toes jam into the "spokes."

Does this happen to other people? I'm thinking I need a shoe with a
reinforced toe. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly, are ankle biters helpful or do they get in the way? I find
they occasionally jam into the "spokes."

Thanks.

Billy

9 and half was my tops today, with a 7, and altogether fewer 0s and
halfs by the end.

Old July 28th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain wrote:
9 and half was my tops today, with a 7, and altogether fewer 0s and
halfs by the end.

Still looking for answers to the above.

Today I did 12 rotations, and a couple of 10s.

It's amazingly harder than a unicycle.

It takes so much upper body. I felt I would fall on my face at least
once today.

Old July 29th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unreal-Wheel

How similar are riding the ultimate wheel and seat dragging?

--
Unreal-Wheel

)-2xLegwrap-O 2nd Place

Unicycle For Inflexibility

Old September 6th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Unreal-Wheel wrote:
How similar are riding the ultimate wheel and seat dragging?

I don't seat drag, so I cannot help you. however, everyone who rides
UW wears leg armor, and I don;t think you need to do this with seat
drag, so I think seat drag is easier.

By the way, there's growing interest in a cross-country UW trip.

We're trying to find a nation with the shortest distance across, in any
direction, with a relatively paved road and few hills--preferably flat,
or all downhill in the direction of the ride.

anyone got a good nation for this?

Billy

Old September 6th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

England isn't exactly wide, but hills are inevitable. Good work with the
the UW, It really does look impossible.

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

'Restoring a Mini Mayfair... It's going to be awesome!!!!!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jry36)
'My bebo thingy' (http://www.bebo.com/unicyclist_for_life)
Old September 6th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wobig

I have the 28" UW from Unicycle.com. I ride it with metalpedals. Pedals
with good grip are very usefull for UWs.
To ride long distances, you need strong legs. My longest distance was
200 metres, then my legs burns.

--
Wobig
Old September 7th 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

BillyTheMountain wrote:
Lastly, are ankle biters helpful or do they get in the way? I find they
occasionally jam into the "spokes."

You could zip tie a thin piece of plastic to each side. The biggest
I've seen at my local plastic store would require two pieces on each
side.

A trip of any real distance would require some SERIOUS leg endurance.

The longest specific distance I've heard of was 2.5 mi on a 24" wheel
w/ breaks, if I remember correctly, it took him 45 minutes. I've heard
of someone who had tree trunks for legs who could ride for a long time,
but I forget the distance.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'