idea for all you weight savers out there ... a "hole-y" seatpost

Old December 21st 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

Default idea for all you weight savers out there ... a "hole-y" seatpost

so i got to thinking a little bit today, and i realized that every
unicycle has 2 or 3 inches of seatpost (usually pretty thick) going into
the frame... that doesn't need much structural integrity compared to the
rest of the seatpost, on that note, what happens if you drill a bunch of
small (i'm thinking 3/16" or so) holes in the seatpost beyond the
seatpost clamp, very few at the top more as you go lower into the frame.

if done in a strategic pattern this should work, and i don't see much
of a downside to being careful while doing this (if you shave too much
off its going to break in the frame and not be pretty, but has anyone
done this, or thought about it, what are your thoughts?

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old December 21st 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

Just drill your cranks like Sam. And then get a drilled rim. Single bolt
clamp. Shave your head. Wear shorts. Ride shirtless. Cut the foam off
your seat. Ditch the back bumper. Take a dump before you ride.

Maestero has a good list somewhere too.

--
Jeremy R

'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)
spam ban kaboom - Gilby
Old December 21st 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
drumstuck

Jeremy R;1154050 wrote:
Just drill your cranks like Sam. And then get a drilled rim. Single bolt
clamp. Shave your head. Wear shorts. Ride shirtless. Cut the foam off
your seat. Ditch the back bumper. Take a dump before you ride.

For me, that read like a famous scene from Taxi Driver. Do all the
above and then practice suicide mounts in front of a mirror, after each
one saying 'are you looking at me?'...

--
drumstuck
Old December 21st 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

It sounds like you wish to take the world gap record. Or perhaps you
have it already, I remember that special vid.

Drilling holes in parts has a long and glorious history in motorcycle
racing. The reason the manufacturer does not drill the parts has mostly
to do with the high labor and tool costs. There is a lot of metal that
could be lost with good machining, without sacrificing much strength. I
think drilling the post in the way you described is a good idea for you,
as you are trying to stretch the limits in a way that a lighter uni can
only help. I wouldn't bother myself LOL, but I am not much of a jumper
yet.

I was looking into buying ti seat bolts and drilled hollow alum bolts
for the bumpers a while back, not that it would help my riding, but just
because I like to look for stuff. "Someone" could buy enough of them to
put together a kit that would save some grams, and not cost to much $.
Someone would have to buy 1000 or so bolts- nuts etc. to get a
reasonable price.

--
feel the light
Old December 21st 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

I thought of this a little awhile ago too... I don't see much wrong with
it other than it may(or may not) cause trouble in getting the seatpost
in the frame.

Jeremy R;1154050 wrote:
Ditch the back bumper.

Haha my back bumper broke so I just didn't bother putting another one
on. I just have a buncha duct tape on now.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Inventor of the Slapflip.

BillyTheMountain for President 2012
Old December 21st 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

It is very obvious that the max stress in the seat tube is at the top.
The bottom part will never break stock and could be reliably drilled.
The gain is small, but it is a real gain.

--
feel the light
Old December 21st 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

feel the light;1154190 wrote:
It is very obvious that the max stress in the seat tube is at the top.
The bottom part will never break stock and could be reliably drilled.
The gain is small, but it is a real gain.

Eh, I've broken/bent plenty of 22.2mm posts not at the top at all.
Mostly bent though. I'm not sure how drilling the post would affect it
though.

Edit: what about drilling the frame? I've been thinking of that too.
Not drilling too much, but I have never seen a frame break on any place
but the neck or on welds. I think the side parts of the fork could
probably be drilled a bit.

Old December 21st 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

peleschramm;1154192 wrote:
Eh, I've broken/bent plenty of *22.2mm *posts not at the top at all.

That would explain it. =p

I think on a 25.4 or 27.2 post it would be fine.

--
Jerrick

'*500$ /$549.99*'
(http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa) *Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old December 21st 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

Jerrick;1154203 wrote:
That would explain it. =p

I think on a 25.4 or 27.2 post it would be fine.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think I MAY have bent/broken a 25.4 too
but I'm not sure, but I've never bent or broken a 27.2mm post at the
tube.

What I meant was, the 27.2 mm neck is most definitely strong enough,
but can it go weaker?(AKA put a bunch of holes through it).

But I think it would probably be strong enough, if you drill something
it won't be THAT much weaker, just maybe a little.

Old December 21st 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

insert everyone's words here

i wasn't really planning on doing much as far as on my own unicycle,
but now i don't see a reason not to, its something i don't need a huge
amount of strength on... a lighter uni would help me quite a bit, but
then again, i have a seat that weighs about as much as my seatpost and
frame combined. gaining 1lb of weight back might be 2 or 3 inches on my
jump, but that is not important to me because i am less predictable than
that, some days i can jump 2 feet farther than other days

drilling seatposts effectively is not reasonable for a manufacturer. we
cut a good chunk off of them.