Looking for a cycle orientated moderated website/forum

Old May 21st 09, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob

Default Looking for a cycle orientated moderated website/forum

I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?
Old May 21st 09, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

On 21 May, 15:00, Rob wrote:
I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?

You could try Cycle Chat - I think it looks rather good. And
contentious issues like the ones discussed here are relegated to
separate
sub-forums, and are moderated. Certainly the abuse etc that goes on
here and deranged postings from motorists with bees in their bonnets
would never
be tolerated there.

The URL is: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/

Rudi
Old May 21st 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

On 21 May, 15:00, Rob wrote:
I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?

And for what it is worth - I have spotted a number of former posters
here (i.e who have deserted here some time ago) on Cycle Chat. And
there are a number of comments there about what a shame it is that urc
has degenerated like this.

And they really do moderate - it is clear a number of people have been
banned.

Rudi
Old May 21st 09, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

On 21 May, 15:09, RudiL wrote:
On 21 May, 15:00, Rob wrote:

I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?

You could try Cycle Chat - I think it looks rather good. And
contentious issues like the ones discussed here are relegated to
separate
sub-forums, and are moderated. Certainly the abuse etc that goes on
here and deranged postings from motorists with bees in their bonnets
would never
be tolerated there.

The URL is:http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/

Rudi

Sorry for multiple posts. And when they spot nym-shifts by banned
individuals they ban them too! But the whole site is so large ths
trolling problem really doesn't seem to be a major problem. But I have
only been lurking there for a short time.

Rudi
Old May 21st 09, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Thu, 21 May 2009 07:09:38 -0700 (PDT), RudiL
wrote:

On 21 May, 15:00, Rob wrote:
I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?

You could try Cycle Chat - I think it looks rather good. And
contentious issues like the ones discussed here are relegated to
separate
sub-forums, and are moderated. Certainly the abuse etc that goes on
here and deranged postings from motorists with bees in their bonnets
would never
be tolerated there.

The URL is: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/

Rudi

How's your attempt to set up a moderated group?

Do you want any help?

I am all for them - in particular it stops nym-shifters.

Shall we go for it?

--

Posts from IP Address: 80.254.146.36

to URC over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence or nym shift?

Old May 21st 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On May 21, 3:09*pm, RudiL wrote:

the abuse etc that goes on here

....from BOTH "sides", but let me guess, you're only bothered about the
abuse *towards* Chapman and his followers?

deranged postings from motorists with bees in their bonnets would never
be tolerated there.

If by that you mean "any postings which defend motorists", you'd be
wrong, as I've written plenty of such posts on Cycle Chat, and never
been banned. In fact I've had explicit written permission to post on
such subjects from the forum owner and a moderator. You've made it
amply clear that *you* would rather the "wrong" opinions were censored
(even if they actually happen to be correct), but thankfully the
powers that be at Cycle Chat don't share your philosophy.

You see, not everyone wants to ban people from disagreeing with them,
and not everyone equates "cycling advocacy" with "a dislike of
motorists and censorship of anyone who defends them" (in fact the
second thing actually makes the first thing harder, not easier, and
real cyclists must be getting pretty sick of car-haters hijacking
their cause and damaging it).

At the end of the day, someone only wants to stop particular opinions
from being posted when they know they can't refute them. This case is
no exception. Why have you adopted an anti-motorist stance when you
know that you can't defend it and that it's not logical? Is it just a
case of "I'm a university lecturer so I have to be stereotypically
'trendy' about everything, and 'trendy' types don't like cars"? Are
you that shallow and idiotic about everything in your life? How about
forming opinions because you think they're the right opinions, and not
because you think they're "expected" of you?

The URL is:http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/

It's an OK forum. One shouldn't be put off by the fact that an "I
want to censor my opponents" type like RudiL has advocated it; he
hasn't been on Cycle Chat for long and obviously hasn't seen much of
it yet. It does have his pillocks, of course, but the worst ones
(like Spindrift and Chapman) have long since been banned, and quite
rightly so.
Old May 21st 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Rob wrote:
I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

CTC's forums have a fair variety of sub-boards so maybe worth a look.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 21st 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob

On May 21, 3:09*pm, RudiL wrote:

You could try Cycle Chat - I think it looks rather good. And
contentious issues like the ones discussed here are relegated to
separate
sub-forums, and are moderated. Certainly the abuse etc that goes on
here and deranged postings from motorists with bees in their bonnets
would never
be tolerated there.

The URL is:http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/

Rudi

Thank you very much Rudi, for such a prompt and polite reply; it very
much looks like a place I'd enjoy.
cheers
Rob H

Old May 21st 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob

On May 21, 3:38*pm, Peter Clinch wrote:
Rob wrote:
I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, ....
sniped

CTC's forums have a fair variety of sub-boards so maybe worth a look.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/

Thanks Pete for the suggestion, I'll give it a thorough lurking :-)
cheers
Rob H
Old May 21st 09, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_8_]

Rob writes:

I'm a long time lurker on this newsgroup, but I'm now looking for a
more cycle friendly place to post at and a community on can
participate in.

So far I've only found websites and forums that concentrate on the
sports/performance aspects of cycling, does anyone know of any general
cycling forums/websites ?

Can anyone reccommend such a forum ?

I've not seen bikeradar mentioned yet... There are several sub-forums
and you might find one you like.

www.bikeradar.com

Despite the .com, it's a UK focused site.

David

North Somerset Cycle Forum MJ Ray UK 1 April 21st 08 05:16 PM
freedom cycle forum craig UK 5 December 30th 06 11:46 PM
freedom cycle forum craig Techniques 0 December 28th 06 08:55 AM
freedom cycle forum craig General 0 December 28th 06 08:52 AM
Come check out my new website and forum! THE Uniac Unicycling 33 February 25th 05 11:00 AM