A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old May 10th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,869
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

In article , Roger Thorpe wrote:

Even if I really believed that you were a woman named Judith Smith who
had been in some way mistreated or victimized by Guy, had an honest
misunderstanding about certain cycling issues and passionately held
beliefs on others I would still find your posts irritating and
destructive. Each time I read them I would still want to scream "Oh
bugger off!".
I am not alone in this.


If the main problems (judith and Nuxx) had not shown themselves quite
happy to indulge in persistent nym-shifting and forgery, then a killfile
would be a perfectly adequate answer to that problem.
As it is, it's hard to see how conventional moderation would be able to
help.
Ads
  #72  
Old May 10th 09, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,883
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:37:53 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:

snip


And how do you think statements like "The problems I see are
Judith,Nuxx..." contribute to the situation?


Even if I really believed that you were a woman named Judith Smith who
had been in some way mistreated or victimized by Guy, had an honest
misunderstanding about certain cycling issues and passionately held
beliefs on others I would still find your posts irritating and
destructive. Each time I read them I would still want to scream "Oh
bugger off!".
I am not alone in this.
Roger Thorpe



I'm awfully sorry about that.

Is there any particular aspect I could moderate for you?

How do you know that you are not alone in this?

Has there been another little e-mail exchange?

Is it a round-robin - can I subscribe?




--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

  #73  
Old May 11th 09, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,927
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On 10 May, 09:32, Tony Dragon wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 9 May, 18:35, "Adam Lea" wrote:
BrianW wrote:
On 8 May, 12:52, Rudi wrote:
Hi! (and sorry for the long post)
The main reason this group has been wrecked is the same reason
uk.transport got wrecked. *The reason's name is Doug Bollen.
No it was going downhill before then. There was a troll infestation before
Doug came here, amplified by certain posters who kept responding to them
even when it was apparent the trolls were just trying to wind people up.


What motivated these trolls to attempt to wreck the newsgroup is not clear,
however I suspect some of the more extremist statements against motorists*
may have had something to do with it.


It is more likely to be extreme statements against cyclists by
motorists. Why would contributors to a cycling newsgroup be bothered
by extreme statements against motorists?


--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
"The car, more of a toilet than a convenience".


How about the fact that most cyclists are also motorists?
And don't come back with your usual claptrap about 'real cyclists' &
'closet motorists'.

So you admit that motorists also infest and dominate the world of
cycling? My guess is though that they might not be in a majority
there, as they seem to be everywhere else.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
The problem is in not recognising there is a problem.

  #74  
Old May 11th 09, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,715
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

Doug wrote:
On 10 May, 09:32, Tony Dragon wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 9 May, 18:35, "Adam Lea" wrote:
BrianW wrote:
On 8 May, 12:52, Rudi wrote:
Hi! (and sorry for the long post)
The main reason this group has been wrecked is the same reason
uk.transport got wrecked. The reason's name is Doug Bollen.
No it was going downhill before then. There was a troll infestation before
Doug came here, amplified by certain posters who kept responding to them
even when it was apparent the trolls were just trying to wind people up.
What motivated these trolls to attempt to wreck the newsgroup is not clear,
however I suspect some of the more extremist statements against motorists*
may have had something to do with it.
It is more likely to be extreme statements against cyclists by
motorists. Why would contributors to a cycling newsgroup be bothered
by extreme statements against motorists?
--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
"The car, more of a toilet than a convenience".

How about the fact that most cyclists are also motorists?
And don't come back with your usual claptrap about 'real cyclists' &
'closet motorists'.

So you admit that motorists also infest and dominate the world of
cycling? My guess is though that they might not be in a majority
there, as they seem to be everywhere else.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
The problem is in not recognising there is a problem.


I did not say that, you did in your usual attempt to try to twist thing
to your own agenda.
But I expect that all normal cyclists who may also use cars are glad to
know what you think of them.

--
Tony the Dragon
  #75  
Old May 11th 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 433
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

Judith Smith wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:37:53 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:


And how do you think statements like "The problems I see are
Judith,Nuxx..." contribute to the situation?

Even if I really believed that you were a woman named Judith Smith who
had been in some way mistreated or victimized by Guy, had an honest
misunderstanding about certain cycling issues and passionately held
beliefs on others I would still find your posts irritating and
destructive. Each time I read them I would still want to scream "Oh
bugger off!".
I am not alone in this.
Roger Thorpe



I'm awfully sorry about that.

Is there any particular aspect I could moderate for you?

How do you know that you are not alone in this?

Has there been another little e-mail exchange?

Is it a round-robin - can I subscribe?

here's something you could do.
I will stop posting to this group if more than four regular users were
to ask me to do so.
Would you accept the challenge to do the same? you can pick a number
higher than four if you want.
Here's a chance for you to demonstrate your sincerity and good intentions.

Roger Thorpe
  #76  
Old May 11th 09, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,237
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

Doug wrote:

So you admit that motorists also infest and dominate the world of
cycling? My guess is though that they might not be in a majority
there, as they seem to be everywhere else.


Why do you assume that people who cycle and people who drive acars are two
seperate species?

You are a driver (in that you hold a driving licence) and you cycle, why
should other people be different?


  #77  
Old May 11th 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,069
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

In ,
Judith Smith tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
On Sat, 09 May 2009 18:22:39 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:

BrianW wrote:
On 8 May, 12:52, Rudi wrote:
Hi! (and sorry for the long post)

The main reason this group has been wrecked is the same reason
uk.transport got wrecked. The reason's name is Doug Bollen.

As I see it, Doug is a new problem. This group has been in decline
since judith came over a year ago.



Oh really - perhaps you could point to the one specific post from over
a year ago made by me which caused the decline of the group.

Some time after that,
I started a thread in uk.rec.cycling. I very soon attracted
the regulars who shot me down - often with insults.


But more usually with Facts.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
"Leverage" is *not* a verb.


  #78  
Old May 11th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,883
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:53:54 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:

Judith Smith wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:37:53 +0100, Roger Thorpe
wrote:


And how do you think statements like "The problems I see are
Judith,Nuxx..." contribute to the situation?

Even if I really believed that you were a woman named Judith Smith who
had been in some way mistreated or victimized by Guy, had an honest
misunderstanding about certain cycling issues and passionately held
beliefs on others I would still find your posts irritating and
destructive. Each time I read them I would still want to scream "Oh
bugger off!".
I am not alone in this.
Roger Thorpe



I'm awfully sorry about that.

Is there any particular aspect I could moderate for you?

How do you know that you are not alone in this?

Has there been another little e-mail exchange?

Is it a round-robin - can I subscribe?

here's something you could do.
I will stop posting to this group if more than four regular users were
to ask me to do so.
Would you accept the challenge to do the same? you can pick a number
higher than four if you want.
Here's a chance for you to demonstrate your sincerity and good intentions.

Roger Thorpe



What an odd thing to post.

If you do not like my posts - then do not read them.

I will not take up your kind post - but thanks for the suggestion.

However - get Chapman to stop posting - and then I will do the same.

Let's go with that; please get it organised.


--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

  #79  
Old May 11th 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,883
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:46:35 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

snip


Oh really - perhaps you could point to the one specific post from over
a year ago made by me which caused the decline of the group.

Some time after that,
I started a thread in uk.rec.cycling. I very soon attracted
the regulars who shot me down - often with insults.


But more usually with Facts.



examples would be appreciated.

Indeed - they would back up your claim.

On the other hand if you have no evidence - then please just ignore -
I do understand.

(I admit that I have sometime been wrong - just like every other
poster on this newsgroup. When It has actually been point out - then
I have apologised; totally unlike the majority of other posters in the
is newsgroup)

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

  #80  
Old May 12th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 79
Default A possible solution to the trolling problem on this news group

On 2009-05-08, Ian Smith wrote:

On Fri, 08 May 2009, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2009-05-08, Ian Smith wrote:

....
Admittedly, this lets one bad post through per nym, but it greatly
cuts down the workload on moderators, and eliminates
moderator-induced delay. Nym-shifters need to work through step 2
every time they shift.


AIUI (in uk.religion.christian) the first few posts from a new nym
get manually moderated, and a nym that passes enough times
qualifies for automatic approval (until it gets dinged for abuse).
As you say, this eliminates nym-shifting, and makes it difficult
for known trolls to get through.


I think your description is correct, but I'm not sure it's necessary,
hence my suggestion that the process simply checks for an email-able
poster. You could check for an email-able poster and require at least
n manually approved postings to qualify for the 'assumed good' list.
I'd be more in favour of this the smaller the n. My suggestion
equates to n=0.


I think it would let through many more than one bad post per nym ---
as many as the abuser can get through the moderbot until a human
moderator notices and blocks the nym. Anyone can manage to string
together one sensible post in order to get a lot of bad ones through.

I would suggest two levels of automatic approval: to let a nym with
(for example) 5 approved posts follow-up and one with 10 approved
posts to start threads too.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
solution in search of a problem? Zebee Johnstone Australia 1 October 16th 07 02:11 PM
the Shimano 10sp/9sp alloy freehub problem again - a solution! Bleve Techniques 19 July 11th 06 02:37 PM
the Shimano 10sp/9sp alloy freehub problem again - a solution! Bleve Australia 14 July 11th 06 02:37 PM
I have a solution to the dope-detection problem! Ryan Cousineau Racing 0 June 30th 06 05:13 PM
How many astronomers in this news group? Marty Wallace Australia 30 January 17th 05 11:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.