Sunglasses w/Rx insert

Old June 23rd 04, 02:01 AM
Fred Hall

Default Sunglasses w/Rx insert

I'm looking to get a decent pair of semi-wraparound sunglasses to be used
for road riding...along the style of something like Bolle Vigilante or
Parole. However, my eyes are bad enough where I'll need a prescription
insert to go with them.

Right now I use my regular glasses that have the magnetic clip-on
sunglasses, but when I ride, even though they have light plastic lenses they
are just heavy enough to constantly slip down my nose just enough that I'm
always either pushing them up with one hand or looking over the top of them.

My question is, by adding the Rx insert to the wraparound sunglasses, will
it make them that much heavier and I'll experience the same "slippage"
problem? Or are they light enough/fit tight enough to stay put? Will I be
looking over the top of the insert? Anyone with experience using these
inserts have any insights or alternative recommendations?

Old June 23rd 04, 02:34 AM
Badger_South

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:01:00 GMT, "Fred Hall" wrote:

[...]

If your correction is under 3 or 4 diopters, and little or no astigmatism,
why not get soft contact lenses? For about 150-160 bucks you can get a 12
pack of disposable, plus 50 for the exam. That's cheaper than glasses. Over
4 diopters and they will probably be quite heavy, but most sunglasses for
biking fit more snugly and may not slip down. Check your performance bike
shop for a pair on sale for about 50 bucks that you can add in insert into.
They're about the most modestly priced to try and if it doesn't work they
have a good return policy.

Good luck.

-B

Old June 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
David Newman

I use Bolle Parole model sunglasses with a prescription insert. I have a
fairly strong prescription and a narrow nose, but I don't have a
significant problem with slippage. They sometimes slip a little if I get
really sweaty in bumpy conditions. I tried the Smith Moab H/P with
prescription insert, and found them inferior to the Parole model since
the lower edge of the prescription insert rested on my face
uncomfortably. Its contact with my skin also made it dirty.

I have three minor gripes about my Parole glasses: a) sometimes a bug
gets caught between the two lenses, (b) sometimes fog forms on the
surfaces between the lenses, and (c) Bolle stopped making the blue flash
lenses that I like. That said, I'm a very satisfied customer, satisfied
enough that I bought a spare pair when I heard that the model had been
discontinued (appears to have been a false alarm).

Dave

Old June 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
jmk

I've had a pair of Briko Sprinter sunglasses with a prescription insert for
several years. No problems, they work for me.

Jim

.. .

Old June 23rd 04, 04:52 AM
cheg

"Fred Hall" wrote in message
.. .
over the top of them.

My question is, by adding the Rx insert to the wraparound sunglasses, will
it make them that much heavier and I'll experience the same "slippage"
problem? Or are they light enough/fit tight enough to stay put? Will I be
looking over the top of the insert? Anyone with experience using these
inserts have any insights or alternative recommendations?

I have Adidas Evil Eye Pro with prescription insert. No problem with slipage or
fogging so far. The frames have good vents. The placement of the RX lense is
excellent and the frames have good adjustments in the nose and earpieces for
changing the fit on the fly. 7 lense colors available, easy to change by hand.
You can also get a headstrap that fits them for using them for other sports,
from the Evil Eye Explorer model.

http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue

The Gazelle takes the same RX insert and has 14 lens colors available

Old June 23rd 04, 10:31 AM
Brett Jaffee

Badger_South wrote in
:

If your correction is under 3 or 4 diopters, and little or no
astigmatism, why not get soft contact lenses? For about 150-160 bucks
you can get a 12 pack of disposable, plus 50 for the exam. That's
cheaper than glasses. Over 4 diopters and they will probably be quite
heavy,

You're saying the contacts will be quite heavy? Never heard that before.
My correction is quite bad (-7.0, but no astigmatism), but my contacts work
fine for mountain biking. I wear the 1 day disposable type...about $100
for 90 pairs at the discount store (Costco).
Old June 23rd 04, 02:39 PM
Bill

"Fred Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've used to Parole w/Rx inserts four or five years and have been very
satisfied. They do not slip. Eventually the rubber nose pads and ear pieces
will go south but with a little effort they can be replaced. The nylon frame
is indestructable. I had the optician place a very small bifocal area at the
bottom of the lens which works for maps and menus.

Addition weight is not noticeable. Fogging is unusual, normally only occurs
when stopped.

FYI Bolle service info:
Please call 800.22.Bollé (or 800.222.6553) to speak with one of our customer
service representatives."

FYI: Vigilante and Parole nose pads and temple pads are the same. I ordered
my parts from Bolle. They were 3 or 4 dollas.

----------------------------------

Also found this company that purports to sell them.
http://www.atafa.com/catalog/accesso...6_products.htm

Old June 23rd 04, 04:36 PM
John Everett

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:39:15 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

"Fred Hall" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've been riding with Bollé Edge IIs with Rx inserts for over ten
years now. As other posters have stated there's been no problems with
slippage.

Even though the Edge II has been out of production for years,
replacement parts are readily available from the above referenced
customer service facility. I had to replace a broken Rx insert a year
or so ago. I just had to snap the old lenses into the new insert, a
process that gave me some pause.

One problem (not Bollé's fault) I've had is with the lenses, purchased
from my eye doctor. I believe they are Lexan (or perhaps some other
optical plastic) and have a coating which has partially worn off over
the years. While the lenses now look pretty bad the coating is still
there in my field of vision.

If you're going Rx insert with plastic lenses ask if they have a
coating which might wear off. Then again, I've been using the same
lenses for a decade or so, so perhaps I have no grounds for complaint.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old June 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Teresa Bippert-Plymate

I have Bolle Paroles with the RX inserts. I love them. They use a
special (and the name slips my mind) nosepiece like rubber that
grips when moist. I run and cycle in these glasses and they rarely
slip. I have no problems looking through the insert, as they are
close to your eyes. Be sure to get lots of other color lenses!
My Paroles have come in handy as back-ups when I broke my reg
glasses, when I put the clear lenses in. The rose-color lenses
are great for cloudy days too.

Teresa in AZ

PS- The RX insert pops out easily if you need to loan the glasses
to anyone else, too.

Old June 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
Fred Hall

"cheg" wrote in message

"Fred Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

They look pretty nice, but when I went to the retail finder section of the
site, I found out they aren't sold in the US...oh well. Thanks for the info
on your experience with them by the way.