Tyler 3rd best American of all time?

Old August 22nd 04, 11:39 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 22 Aug 2004 14:13:40 -0700,
) wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote in message . ..
On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700,
(NPA) wrote:

Better than Hampsten?

Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
yet

JT

I diagree. Tyler DOES have a better record now.

Basically, Hamilton 2 Romandie cancel Hampsten's two switzerlands.
They were both 4th in the Tour and won a stage. So it comes down to:
Is a win in LBL and Olympic gold better than a Giro win?

Hampsten was fourth in the Tour of France twice.

Hampsten has three Tour of Italy stage wins (I think, it might be
two), I think Hamilton has only one.

Also, the Tour of Switzerland is probably a little bit more important
than the Tour of Romandie, except perhaps for Italian teams.

But yeah, LBL is a big deal. I don't think it's it, and an Olympic TT
win, are worth a Tour of Italy, but yes, that's debateable.

There is one thing we forgot though, which might put Hamilton on top
-- he won the Dauphine Libere.

Still, I think the Tour of Italy, clearly the second biggest grand
tour at the time Hampsten won it, puts him on top at the moment. But
reasonable arguments could be made either way.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 23rd 04, 06:20 AM
Horse DeLay

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Also, the Tour of Switzerland is probably a little bit more important
than the Tour of Romandie, except perhaps for Italian teams.

Romandie = french-speaking Switzerland ( les cantons de Geneve, Vaud,
Neuchatel, Jura, les deux-tiers du canton de Fribourg, et le
Bas-Valais).

-HD

Old August 23rd 04, 08:30 AM
Kenny

[...]

This is strange. When you guys try to compare TH and AH, you also
take 2.HC and WC races in consideration. Now that's an evolution!
Shouldn't it have to be: "TH: 0 GT's, AH: 1 GT = AH TH" according
to the american Merckx-Amstrong comparison rules (EM: 5 TDF, LA 6 TDF
= LA EM (ever)). Or does this rule only apply to LA?

Kenny
Old August 23rd 04, 09:30 AM
Tuschinski

) wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote in messag

. ..
On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700,
(NPA) wrote:

[...]

Didn't Andrew win Romandie in 1992?

But one thing, considering his LBL win: hampsten isn't nearly as goo
in single day races, so indeed, Tyler is the more complete racer.
compared both riders palmares and have to say that I was wrong
Hamilton is indeed getting closer to Hampsten as I thought

--
Tuschinski

Old August 23rd 04, 06:40 PM
gym gravity

NPA wrote:

What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all time now?

Better than Hampsten?

-NPA

Well, too soon to compare. Hamilton isn't talking about retiring.

He will be, with another good year.

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
LANCE ARMSTRONG'S BID FOR COVETED SIXTH TOUR DE FRANCE FOILED Richard Longwood Racing 6 June 28th 04 03:06 AM
Dumb American sportswriters vs. Cycling journalists Bruce Johnston Racing 1 July 24th 03 05:13 PM
TDF: Nantes Time Trial Viewing tebo13 Racing 1 July 24th 03 02:24 AM