Could Ulmer have gone even faster??

Old August 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Andy Coggan

Default Could Ulmer have gone even faster??

Looking at her kilometer splits and reading reports of the race, it appears
that she went out quite fast to try to keep Mactier within striking
distance. She then slowed more than might be considered ideal during her
third kilometer. So, could she have gone even faster with a slightly more
evenly paced effort? Or, did Mactier's habit of starting so fast force Ulmer
to really dig deep, such that her final time reflected the very best she
could possibly do?

Andy Coggan

Old August 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
tomUK

Andy Coggan Wrote:
Looking at her kilometer splits and reading reports of the race, i
appears
that she went out quite fast to try to keep Mactier within striking
distance. She then slowed more than might be considered ideal durin
her
third kilometer. So, could she have gone even faster with a slightl
more
evenly paced effort? Or, did Mactier's habit of starting so fast forc
Ulmer
to really dig deep, such that her final time reflected the very bes
she
could possibly do?

Andy Coggan

I think she needs to take a leaf out of Obree's book. If she'd ha
taken the time to get a curry and a few jars in the night before, I'v
no doubt things would have been different

--
tomUK

Old August 23rd 04, 08:01 PM
B. Lafferty

"tomUK" wrote in message

Andy Coggan Wrote:
Looking at her kilometer splits and reading reports of the race, it
appears
that she went out quite fast to try to keep Mactier within striking
distance. She then slowed more than might be considered ideal during
her
third kilometer. So, could she have gone even faster with a slightly
more
evenly paced effort? Or, did Mactier's habit of starting so fast force
Ulmer
to really dig deep, such that her final time reflected the very best
she
could possibly do?

Andy Coggan

I think she needs to take a leaf out of Obree's book. If she'd had
taken the time to get a curry and a few jars in the night before, I've
no doubt things would have been different!

--
tomUK

More heat and humidity, Scottie!
Aye, Captain. I cannot give ya any more or the system will blow.

Old August 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
Warren

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
link.net...
Looking at her kilometer splits and reading reports of the race, it

appears
that she went out quite fast to try to keep Mactier within striking
distance. She then slowed more than might be considered ideal during her
third kilometer. So, could she have gone even faster with a slightly more
evenly paced effort? Or, did Mactier's habit of starting so fast force

Ulmer
to really dig deep, such that her final time reflected the very best she
could possibly do?

Psychological warfare is often a part of pursuit finals. Time doesn't matter
there-only beating the opponent.

-WG

Old August 24th 04, 03:01 AM
Andy Coggan

"Warren" wrote in message
om...

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
link.net...
Looking at her kilometer splits and reading reports of the race, it

appears
that she went out quite fast to try to keep Mactier within striking
distance. She then slowed more than might be considered ideal during her
third kilometer. So, could she have gone even faster with a slightly

more
evenly paced effort? Or, did Mactier's habit of starting so fast force

Ulmer
to really dig deep, such that her final time reflected the very best she
could possibly do?

Psychological warfare is often a part of pursuit finals. Time doesn't

matter
there-only beating the opponent.

Obviously I'm not questioning Ulmer's strategy, since she won rather
handily. I'm just wondering if she could ride 3k even faster than she did.

Andy Coggan

Old August 24th 04, 03:10 AM
patch70

Andy Coggan Wrote:
Obviously I'm not questioning Ulmer's strategy, since she won rather
handily. I'm just wondering if she could ride 3k even faster than she
did.

By the look of her at the end - I doubt she could have given any more.
She was totally stuffed and barely able to breathe. I think she'll go
faster in the future but I think she did all she could that night.

--
patch70

Old August 24th 04, 03:36 AM
Andrew Price

Andy Coggan wrote

So, could she have gone even faster with a slightly more
evenly paced effort?

Strikes me that she has the brains and the athletic capacity to continue to
improve.

She sent a friend an SMS text message after beating Katie and setting a new
wr, reading something like "wicked, huh?"

It's the mens 4000m pursuit that seem to me are getting pretty close to
perfection - the semi when they lapped the Lithuanians and set a new wr of
3:56 something is as close to as perfectly synchronised team effort as you
will see in a long time. Interesting to see where they go from here.
Averaging over 60 kph for 4 minutes after a standing start in a HUGE gear
does strike you as commendable and bit hard to top.

best, Andrew

remove the .x1 to reply

Old August 24th 04, 03:57 AM
warren

In article k.net,
Andy Coggan wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I think if she only had to do one race in a week, and just one ride,
nothing to save herself for, she might well go faster. It's scary.

-WG
Old August 24th 04, 07:09 AM
Stewart Fleming

Andrew Price wrote:

Strikes me that she has the brains and the athletic capacity to continue to
improve.

She sent a friend an SMS text message after beating Katie and setting a new
wr, reading something like "wicked, huh?"

The McDonalds ad (a major Ulmer sponsor ;-)) reads:

"Sarah, you can go back to being nice now. Wicked. We're stoked."