CHAIN CLEANING the best way?

Old May 12th 05, 04:30 AM
Polly

Default CHAIN CLEANING the best way?

Id like to hear any ideas on the best way to clean a chain.

Id like to hear the easiest and most enviromentally friendly ways, but
whatever way you like to clean your chain Id like to hear about.

Personally I either use a rag, or sometimes a chain cleaner with some soap
and water.

I find the chain cleaner still doesnt get it as clean as I like it to be.
Perhaps someone could reccomend some good chain cleaning solution..
something that gets inside the links as well.
Or perhaps its the chain cleaner itself..any reccomendations?

thanks
Polly

Old May 12th 05, 04:38 AM
Monk

I use this:
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CG_2.shtml
Called a Chaingang--all kinds of little brushes inside, and you can use
a citrus cleaning fluid with it. You don't have to use theirs--you can
get it a Home Depot or Auto supply.

Old May 12th 05, 04:39 AM
Neil Brooks

"Polly" wrote:

Id like to hear any ideas on the best way to clean a chain.

If you search this forum -- via Google groups -- you'll find more than
an abundance of information on that very topic.

Just use the keywords "chain cleaning"

Best of luck!
Old May 12th 05, 05:07 AM
Pete Biggs

Polly wrote:
Id like to hear any ideas on the best way to clean a chain.

Remove chain and place in a container of kerosene or white spirit AKA
mineral spirits and shake. Extremely effective and easy when using a SRAM
Powerlink to break/join chain. Environmentally friendly in that the fluid
can be re-used after letting the crud settle.

~PB

Old May 12th 05, 02:11 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Polly wrote:
Id like to hear any ideas on the best way to clean a chain.

Id like to hear the easiest and most enviromentally friendly ways,

but
whatever way you like to clean your chain Id like to hear about.

Personally I either use a rag, or sometimes a chain cleaner with some

soap
and water.

I find the chain cleaner still doesnt get it as clean as I like it to

be.
Perhaps someone could reccomend some good chain cleaning solution..
something that gets inside the links as well.
Or perhaps its the chain cleaner itself..any reccomendations?

thanks
Polly

Plastic bottle and some mineral spirits. Take it off,put it in, shake
well, take out, let air dry, put on, lube, ride next day.

Old May 12th 05, 02:28 PM
Klaus

Monk wrote:
I use this:
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CG_2.shtml
Called a Chaingang--all kinds of little brushes inside, and you can

use
a citrus cleaning fluid with it. You don't have to use theirs--you

can
get it a Home Depot or Auto supply.

It appears that you do not have to remove the chain from the bike(?).
True?

How much bother (clean-up) is it to keep it from slinging citrus
cleaning fluid everywhere?

rsquared

Old May 12th 05, 04:04 PM
Pete Biggs

Klaus wrote:
Monk wrote:
I use this:
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CG_2.shtml
Called a Chaingang--all kinds of little brushes inside, and you can
use a citrus cleaning fluid with it. You don't have to use
theirs--you can get it a Home Depot or Auto supply.

It appears that you do not have to remove the chain from the bike(?).
True?

True.

How much bother (clean-up) is it to keep it from slinging citrus
cleaning fluid everywhere?

I tried the similar Baberi product. It's was enough bother for me not to
bother..... and remove chain instead.

~PB

Old May 12th 05, 05:40 PM
Larry Coon

Klaus wrote:

It appears that you do not have to remove the chain from the bike(?).
True?

True.

How much bother (clean-up) is it to keep it from slinging citrus
cleaning fluid everywhere?

Fluid doesn't sling everywhere. I take out the rear
wheel and put in one of these:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?sku=10528

Then I put a towel down underneath the chainline. Just
a few drips of fluid.

Larry Coon
University of California
Old May 12th 05, 10:01 PM

How about:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Old May 12th 05, 11:49 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Larry Coon" wrote: (clip) I take out the rear
wheel and put in one of these:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?sku=10528 (clip)

Larry, could you describe how it works? I can see how it provides support
for the chain while you are cleaning, but does it have a reservoir with
cleaning fluid? All I see is a dry path. Do you use it with a separate
cleaning device? Thanks. Sorry if I'm being dense.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Chain cleaning and lubrication questions Rural QLD CC Mountain Biking 10 July 26th 04 04:26 AM
Actual data for the chain cleaning debate TBGibb Techniques 60 January 11th 04 02:32 AM
Yet another thread on chain cleaning asqui Techniques 25 August 1st 03 07:24 PM
Chain Cleaning "toy" Scott C Techniques 8 July 13th 03 01:23 PM