A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

choosing my first mtb



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 23rd 05, 10:29 PM
J_T_Magnino
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default choosing my first mtb

Hi all!

I'm from italy and i am to buy my first mtb: you all know how difficult
it can be! Expecially, if you haven't so much money to spend, that's my
case.

I really like this one, the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (you can see it and
the full specs at www.decathloncycle.com/competition mtb). Basically,
it's a good front with hydraulic brakes at about 700 euro.

I've been very obsessed about front or dual suspended. I'm not going to
do downhill, i'll surely be for XC, so i hope that a good front will be
the good choice. The fact is that i had to stop jogging due to backache
(hernia) and if a full suspended could prevent some blows to my bottom
it wouldn't be a bad idea... but a good full is above what i can spend
(even the bike i indicated is a bit too much!).

Every advice would be very very appreciated!!

Thanks very much

Alberto
Ads
  #2  
Old May 24th 05, 11:42 PM
doki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



J_T_Magnino wrote:
Hi all!

I'm from italy and i am to buy my first mtb: you all know how
difficult it can be! Expecially, if you haven't so much money to
spend, that's my case.

I really like this one, the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (you can see it
and the full specs at www.decathloncycle.com/competition mtb).
Basically, it's a good front with hydraulic brakes at about 700 euro.

I've been very obsessed about front or dual suspended. I'm not going
to do downhill, i'll surely be for XC, so i hope that a good front
will be the good choice. The fact is that i had to stop jogging due
to backache (hernia) and if a full suspended could prevent some blows
to my bottom it wouldn't be a bad idea... but a good full is above
what i can spend (even the bike i indicated is a bit too much!).

Every advice would be very very appreciated!!


Front suspension only at that price. Not sure what else is available at that
price range, but it looks a light and well specced bike for the price to me.
Only question for me would be the forks - what are they? Decent forks make a
big difference, but crap ones are easy to replace.


  #3  
Old May 26th 05, 02:01 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

doki wrote:
J_T_Magnino wrote:
Hi all!

I'm from italy and i am to buy my first mtb: you all know how
difficult it can be! Expecially, if you haven't so much money to
spend, that's my case.

I really like this one, the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (you can see it
and the full specs at www.decathloncycle.com/competition mtb).
Basically, it's a good front with hydraulic brakes at about 700 euro.

I've been very obsessed about front or dual suspended. I'm not going
to do downhill, i'll surely be for XC, so i hope that a good front
will be the good choice. The fact is that i had to stop jogging due
to backache (hernia) and if a full suspended could prevent some blows
to my bottom it wouldn't be a bad idea... but a good full is above
what i can spend (even the bike i indicated is a bit too much!).

Every advice would be very very appreciated!!


Front suspension only at that price. Not sure what else is available
at that price range, but it looks a light and well specced bike for
the price to me. Only question for me would be the forks - what are
they? Decent forks make a big difference, but crap ones are easy to
replace.


It looks to be a Manitou Axel.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training


  #4  
Old May 27th 05, 11:21 PM
doki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
doki wrote:
J_T_Magnino wrote:
Hi all!

I'm from italy and i am to buy my first mtb: you all know how
difficult it can be! Expecially, if you haven't so much money to
spend, that's my case.

I really like this one, the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (you can see it
and the full specs at www.decathloncycle.com/competition mtb).
Basically, it's a good front with hydraulic brakes at about 700
euro.

I've been very obsessed about front or dual suspended. I'm not going
to do downhill, i'll surely be for XC, so i hope that a good front
will be the good choice. The fact is that i had to stop jogging due
to backache (hernia) and if a full suspended could prevent some
blows to my bottom it wouldn't be a bad idea... but a good full is
above what i can spend (even the bike i indicated is a bit too
much!).

Every advice would be very very appreciated!!


Front suspension only at that price. Not sure what else is available
at that price range, but it looks a light and well specced bike for
the price to me. Only question for me would be the forks - what are
they? Decent forks make a big difference, but crap ones are easy to
replace.


It looks to be a Manitou Axel.


Sell em and get some Marzocchis .


  #5  
Old May 30th 05, 05:28 PM
J_T_Magnino
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Thanks all!
I've bought it and i think it's quite good!

Why do you think that the manitou axel fork is not good?

  #6  
Old May 31st 05, 10:12 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

J_T_Magnino wrote:
Thanks all!
I've bought it and i think it's quite good!

Why do you think that the manitou axel fork is not good?


The Axel regular spring is tuned for a rider weight around 100 lbs. I am
135lbs, and I can bottom out the fork braking hard. That kind of ****-poor
spring rate is unacceptable, even if there is a ride kit available. Keep in
mind that these forks come on 19" and 21" bikes, whose riders weigh
sometimes more than double what the spring seems to be rated for.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing low-end 9-speed Campagnolo group? Mike Jacoubowsky Techniques 30 May 16th 05 01:37 AM
Choosing new mountain bike. vjump1 Mountain Biking 15 October 10th 04 01:40 AM
choosing a new fork pas Mountain Biking 23 June 5th 04 02:13 AM
Where to start choosing first bike? ITMA Mountain Biking 1 April 26th 04 10:56 PM
OT - at least she wasn't choosing melons elyob UK 11 August 17th 03 01:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.