Jeanie Longo....

Old September 27th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Jeanie Longo....

On Sep 27, 6:12 am, wrote:

Lucky for you that you don't read L'Equipe. Their headline yesterday
was: "First goal botched" referring to Longohttp://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/index.html

-ilan

Thanks. I haven't tried reading anything other than english in a
while, except Radsport news last night.
I can see how she said, innocently enough, that she was looking to
win 2 medals, but that definitely left her open for any shots they
take. Just the idea that, at her age, she could reasonably expect to
do that is amazing.
Bill C

Old September 27th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 27, 1:50 pm, Bill C wrote:
On Sep 27, 6:12 am, wrote:

Lucky for you that you don't read L'Equipe. Their headline yesterday
was: "First goal botched" referring to Longohttp://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/index.html

-ilan

Thanks. I haven't tried reading anything other than english in a
while, except Radsport news last night.
I can see how she said, innocently enough, that she was looking to
win 2 medals, but that definitely left her open for any shots they
take. Just the idea that, at her age, she could reasonably expect to
do that is amazing.
Bill C

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

-ilan

Old September 27th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Sep 27, 2:01 pm, wrote:

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

-ilan- Hide quoted text -

The only possible reason, other than they just hate here, would be
they don't consider women cycling to be anything other than a
sideshow.
It's pretty damned easy to make the case for Edddy as the best ever,
but on the women's side, after Longo and Beryl Burton it's a long way
to the next best, and I think I've changed my mind and would put Longo
ahead of Burton.
Bill C

Old September 27th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 27, 9:51 pm, Bill C wrote:
On Sep 27, 2:01 pm, wrote:

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

-ilan- Hide quoted text -

The only possible reason, other than they just hate here, would be
they don't consider women cycling to be anything other than a
sideshow.
It's pretty damned easy to make the case for Edddy as the best ever,
but on the women's side, after Longo and Beryl Burton it's a long way
to the next best, and I think I've changed my mind and would put Longo
ahead of Burton.
Bill C

Leontien van Moorsel had better competition than Burton. Recall that
Leontien won worlds the last time they were in Stuttgart, so had a
pretty long career as well.

-ilan

Old September 27th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 27, 11:01 am, wrote:

On Sep 27, 6:12 am, wrote:

Lucky for you that you don't read L'Equipe. Their headline yesterday
was: "First goal botched" referring to Longo http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/index.html

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

Yes. But also Katarina Witt was/is hot, and hotties sell
newspapers. Jeannie Longo, although she is the object
of Magilla's unrequited crush, is not as hot as Witt, thus
L'Equipe has less reason to list her.
It ain't fair, but that's sports.

Ben

P.S. So which male cyclists did they list?

Old September 27th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 27, 10:58 pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:01 am, wrote:

On Sep 27, 6:12 am, wrote:

Lucky for you that you don't read L'Equipe. Their headline yesterday
was: "First goal botched" referring to Longohttp://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/index.html

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

Yes. But also Katarina Witt was/is hot, and hotties sell
newspapers. Jeannie Longo, although she is the object
of Magilla's unrequited crush, is not as hot as Witt, thus
L'Equipe has less reason to list her.
It ain't fair, but that's sports.

Ben

P.S. So which male cyclists did they list?

According to Wayne's World, Katarina WItt lost all her appeal with the
fall of Communism, that is, no longer being "The Forbidden Fruit." She
therefore made their Top 10 Reasons why the fall of communism was bad.

-ilan

Old September 27th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Sep 27, 4:31 pm, wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:51 pm, Bill C wrote:

On Sep 27, 2:01 pm, wrote:

Given that she wasn't listed in the Equipe to 100 sports figures of
the 20th century (Katarina Witt was in there) I would say that it's
more like they hate her.

-ilan- Hide quoted text -

The only possible reason, other than they just hate here, would be
they don't consider women cycling to be anything other than a
sideshow.
It's pretty damned easy to make the case for Edddy as the best ever,
but on the women's side, after Longo and Beryl Burton it's a long way
to the next best, and I think I've changed my mind and would put Longo
ahead of Burton.
Bill C

Leontien van Moorsel had better competition than Burton. Recall that
Leontien won worlds the last time they were in Stuttgart, so had a
pretty long career as well.

-ilan- Hide quoted text -

I think Burton was more versatile, and this site makes the point that
women's races were actually too easy for her style and strength:
http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...rylburton.html

But you can make a solid case for Leontien too.
It's just too bad that Jeanson had those kind of performances that
were fueled by drugs. She's someone I have a lot of sympathy for due
to the totally screwed up situation she was placed into. Kinda like
that Mormon girl who's now getting her story out and some of the scum
charged and convicted. I wish that was Aubut's future, but not in
Canada, and if it was prosecuted he'd get, maybe, a hundred hours
community service.
Quite a few of Jeanson's wins came at the expense of Lyne Bessette
who I really like, especially as a person.
BIll C

Old September 27th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 28, 12:19 am, Bill C wrote:
On Sep 27, 4:31 pm, wrote:

On Sep 27, 9:51 pm, Bill C wrote:

On Sep 27, 2:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

The real problem is that Aubut was stupid enough and horrible enough
to decide from the start to put Jeanson on EPO. Everyone agrees with
that, including those cheated by her, as Samplonius' letter states.
There are many other sick coach/athlete relationships, but where the
coach was competent at least. A good example is Laure Manaudou and
Philippe Lucas, e.g., http://nageavecleloup.canalblog.com/.../05/index.html
He has his own puppet on French TV now, you can check it out on
YouTube. Aubut reminds me of a totally incompetent Lucas.

-ilan

Old September 28th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Sep 27, 6:40 pm, wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:19 am, Bill C wrote:

On Sep 27, 4:31 pm, wrote:

On Sep 27, 9:51 pm, Bill C wrote:

On Sep 27, 2:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

That really was tough on my french which is way too poor given that
it's the language of diplomacy. I did the translator thing too, but
there seem to be way too many nuances to the story to make it easy.
I'll have to get my daughter to translate the details this weekend
when she's home. ;-)
I always feel like a moron for my incredibly limited language skills.
I've been exposed since birth to Polish, German, French, and English,
and I've failed miserably.
Bill C

An Old Looking Longo B. Lafferty Racing 18 October 28th 06 07:55 PM
Go La Longo!! warrwych Australia 2 June 23rd 06 09:41 AM
Longo in 95 Tour De femnin Sierraman Racing 22 January 19th 05 05:11 AM
LONGO Kurgan Gringioni Racing 8 October 13th 03 04:29 PM
Longo B. Lafferty Racing 14 October 10th 03 06:46 PM