Mountain biker rescued following a serious leg injury

Old July 23rd 10, 04:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain biker rescued following a serious leg injury

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...ng-leg-injury/

Mountain biker rescued following leg injury

By K.C. Mehaffey
World staff writer

Thursday, July 22, 2010

LEAVENWORTH * Rescue crews carried a Puyallup teenager out of the back
country after he received a serious cut on his leg while mountain
biking on the Chikamin Trail outside of Leavenworth on Wednesday.

Aaron Derrig, 19, was taken to Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth
with a gash on his lower right leg that may have exposed the shin
bone, according to Jerry Moore, Chelan County Sheriff’s chief of
administration.

A hospital official did not return a call this morning, so an updated
condition is not available.

Moore said the sheriff’s office received a call at about 1:50 p.m.
from friends who were riding with Derrig.

Rescuers hiked between one and two miles to retrieve him, Moore said.

He said Derrig apparently lost a lot of blood, and the rescue took
several hours
Old July 23rd 10, 11:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

Default Mountain biker rescued following a serious leg injury similar tohandsaw attack injuries.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...-biker-rescued...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

LEAVENWORTH * Rescue crews carried a Puyallup teenager out of the back
country after he received a serious cut on his leg while mountain
biking on the Chikamin Trail outside of Leavenworth on Wednesday.

Aaron Derrig, 19, was taken to Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth
with a gash on his lower right leg that may have exposed the shin
bone, according to Jerry Moore, Chelan County Sheriff’s chief of
administration.

A hospital official did not return a call this morning, so an updated
condition is not available.

Moore said the sheriff’s office received a call at about 1:50 p.m.
from friends who were riding with Derrig.

Rescuers hiked between one and two miles to retrieve him, Moore said.

He said Derrig apparently lost a lot of blood, and the rescue took
several hours

Sounds like he was attacked by a saw wielding lunatic with a PhD.
Old July 24th 10, 04:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Mountain biker rescued following a serious leg injury similar to asshole Bill Weir

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like he was attacked by a saw wielding lunatic with a PhD.

Sounds like Bill Weir is jealous of anyone who has a Ph.D.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 24th 10, 12:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

On Jul 23, 11:22*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bill Weir" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like he was attacked by a saw wielding lunatic with a PhD.

Sounds like Bill Weir is jealous of anyone who has a Ph.D.

That could be true except that I recieved my Doctorate in Mechanical
Engineering many years ago.

My education does not define me as a person. It's not something I feel
I need to mention all the time the way Michael does.

Carry on with your babbling, old man.

Old July 24th 10, 04:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 11:22 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bill Weir" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like he was attacked by a saw wielding lunatic with a PhD.

Sounds like Bill Weir is jealous of anyone who has a Ph.D.

That could be true except that I recieved my Doctorate in Mechanical

Engineering many years ago.

Doctorates in engineering don't amount to much. They are pretty much
required for many jobs.

My education does not define me as a person. It's not something I feel

I need to mention all the time the way Michael does.

I agree with you on the above. It is best never to mention any higher
degrees. I believe Mr. Vandeman does not mention his degree except in the
circumstances where his credibility and expertise have been called into
question. You would do the same if the subject matter were engineering and
someone was calling you an idiot all the time.

Carry on with your babbling, old man.

Your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman speaks volumes about your cultural level.
If you want to act like a barbarian, then that is how I will treat you.

Old July 24th 10, 10:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

On Jul 24, 11:51*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bill Weir" wrote in message

On Jul 23, 11:22 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Bill Weir" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like he was attacked by a saw wielding lunatic with a PhD.

Sounds like Bill Weir is jealous of anyone who has a Ph.D.
That could be true except that I recieved my Doctorate in Mechanical

Engineering many years ago.

Doctorates in engineering don't amount to much. They are pretty much
required for many jobs.

My education does not define me as a person. It's not something I feel

I need to mention all the time the way Michael does.

I agree with you on the above. It is best never to mention any higher
degrees. I believe Mr. Vandeman does not mention his degree except in the
circumstances where his credibility and expertise have been called into
question. You would do the same if the subject matter were engineering and
someone was calling you an idiot all the time.

Complete and utter bull****. Michael mentions his degree with every
LTE or commentary he writes in a vain attempt to give his extreme
views some credibilty.

Carry on with your babbling, old man.

Your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman speaks volumes about your cultural level.
If you want to act like a barbarian, then that is how I will treat you.

That affects me how?

You overestimate your influence.
Old July 25th 10, 04:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 11:51 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
I agree with you on the above. It is best never to mention any higher
degrees. I believe Mr. Vandeman does not mention his degree except in the
circumstances where his credibility and expertise have been called into
question. You would do the same if the subject matter were engineering and
someone was calling you an idiot all the time.

Complete and utter bull****. Michael mentions his degree with every

LTE [?] or commentary he writes in a vain attempt to give his extreme
views some credibility.

Nope, I don't see that at all. In fact, he does not even mention his degree
in his news reports to a selected list of recipients unless he is
referencing various scholarly papers he has authored. The latter is entirely
acceptable since academic degrees count in the world of scholarship.
[...]

Your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman speaks volumes about your cultural
level.
If you want to act like a barbarian, then that is how I will treat you.

That affects me how?

You overestimate your influence.

I suspect someone with a higher degree in engineering does not like to be
treated like a common asshole for all the world to see. But I have known
other engineers who have a degree like yours and they have also turned out
to be assholes. It must be an occupational hazard. Apparently, there is no
substitute for a liberal arts degree.

Old July 25th 10, 06:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

On Jul 25, 11:37*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bill Weir" wrote in message

[...]

Letters To The Editor, DUH!

What scholary papers has Mike written that have anything to do with
his degree?

This is all troll talk from Ed.

Your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman speaks volumes about your cultural
level.
If you want to act like a barbarian, then that is how I will treat you.
That affects me how?
You overestimate your influence.

I suspect someone with a higher degree in engineering does not like to be
treated like a common asshole for all the world to see. But I have known
other engineers who have a degree like yours and they have also turned out
to be assholes. It must be an occupational hazard. Apparently, there is no
substitute for a liberal arts degree.

"The world to see"? Several dozen people does not constitute the
"world."

Sorry Ed, but the way you treat me and others reflects on you, not me.
I would have thought that someone who claims to be so educated would
realize that, but I was wrong.

I really have enough things to occupy my time, no need to keep
conversing with a known troll. Try to stay on topic while I ignore
you . Thanks.

Old July 25th 10, 08:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message

[...]

No reason why anyone should know what those letters stand for. Don't be so
lazy. Write things out!

What scholary papers has Mike written that have anything to do with

his degree?

I am way too lazy to ever research anything - period! Mr. Vandeman is an
expert on ethical matters having to do with nature and wilderness. He has
authored several reviews of the literature of the impact of mountain biking
on trails and on wilderness values in general. Too bad you have no idea what
a wilderness value is.

This is all troll talk from Ed.

That is all anyone ever does on Usenet.

Your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman speaks volumes about your cultural
level.
If you want to act like a barbarian, then that is how I will treat you.

That affects me how?
You overestimate your influence.

I suspect someone with a higher degree in engineering does not like to be
treated like a common asshole for all the world to see. But I have known
other engineers who have a degree like yours and they have also turned out
to be assholes. It must be an occupational hazard. Apparently, there is no
substitute for a liberal arts degree.

"The world to see"? Several dozen people does not constitute the

"world."

You cannot be sure how many are reading our messages nor who they are. Many
folks read but never post.

Sorry Ed, but the way you treat me and others reflects on you, not me.

I would have thought that someone who claims to be so educated would
realize that, but I was wrong.

You keep up your vendetta against Mr. Vandeman and I will keep up my
vendetta against you. Count on it!

I really have enough things to occupy my time, no need to keep

conversing with a known troll. Try to stay on topic while I ignore
you . Thanks.

I will be hard to ignore if you keep spouting your usual ****. I suggest you
find someone else to stalk other than Mr. Vandeman. You are not worthy to
walk in his footsteps.

Old July 25th 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
walt tonne

It would have been simple to cauterize the wound. Hold the little
****er down
and let the flame from a lighter seal the blood vessels.