A Word to Recumbent Riders

Old August 20th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default A Word to Recumbent Riders

Hey, this has probably been discussed here before, but if I can save one
recumbent rider's life with it, it's worth being accused of beating a dead
horse....

As someone who rides on the road a lot and is constantly on the look-out for
bicyclists when I get behind the wheel of a car, I have to tell you guys
that you are just as good as invisible when you pull alongside an automobile
of any size. I nearly crushed a bent rider last week when I had to make a
quick shift to the right lane to avoid a vehicle stopped in a turn lane.
This guy, barely two and a half feet off the ground, came from nowhere. It
might have been his last ride across that street had I not miraculously
glimpsed the top of his helmet over my right shoulder just in time.

I think bents and other low-rider bikes are cool, but I have to say that I
don't think they belong on the road any more than an empty hitch does. Yes,
I'm for sharing the road with all kinds of vehicles, but only as long as
they meet basic requirements designed to maintain the safety of all road
users. In my opinion, bikes that cannot be clearly seen above the window
level of an automobile do not belong on the road. They are just too
dangerous for everyone.

Perhaps those of you who insist on staying on the road should consider some
type of safety flags that rise into the air a few feet?

Old August 20th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 20, 2:56*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
[...]

How is the recumbent/car situation different than a standard bicycle
or motorcycle being in the blind spot of a truck or van?

It's entirely the driver's responsibility to insure there's nothing in
their way when they change lanes. It's also the driver's
responsibility to maintain a suitable following distance so they can
stop safely when the vehicle ahead of them does something stupid
(which of course it will).

I understand that you're a rider and you're trying to warn other
riders, but half the warning should be lofted in the driver's
direction, no?

Old August 21st 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I understand that you're a rider and you're trying to warn other riders,
but half the warning should be lofted in the driver's direction, no?

Respectfully, I have to respond "NO."

Just like an empty hitch behind a car that speeds by you on the right or
left, a recumbant bike is invisible to a driver in a normal-sized car.
There are certain requirements as to the heights of motorized vehicles to
protect everybody who uses the road. Recumbant bicycles, if they want to be
part of the road, should be required to meet certain criteria, as well.

Old August 21st 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 21, 1:24*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
I understand that you're a rider and you're trying to warn other riders,
but half the warning should be lofted in the driver's direction, no?

Respectfully, I have to respond "NO."

Just like an empty hitch behind a car that speeds by you on the right or
left, a recumbant bike is invisible to a driver in a normal-sized car.
There are certain requirements as to the heights of motorized vehicles to
protect everybody who uses the road. *Recumbant bicycles, if they want to be
part of the road, should be required to meet certain criteria, as well.

I do not disagree that recumbents should make efforts to increase
their visibility. I'm just pointing out that the motorized vehicle
has obligations and responsibilities as well and should share in your
warning. Everyone on this newsgroup rides a bike, and I would assume
that everyone also drives a car, or at least has driven a car. Two-
way street and all that, right?

You are the one making assumptions (that there's nothing behind a
vehicle in another lane), and you are the one that is changing lanes
(so you are responsible for _verifying_ that it is safe to change
lanes). There are sports cars whose roofs are closer to the ground
than some recumbent rider's helmet are.

Regardless of what someone else does, it doesn't relieve you of your
obligation to insure your actions are based on personally observed
conditions, not assumptions. Whether the bike rider was right or
wrong, you'd still feel horrible for running them over. You can't
change what they are doing, only what you are doing.

Old August 21st 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I'm just pointing out that the motorized vehicle has obligations and
responsibilities as well ...

I get ya on that, but I still have to disagree. Of course I, personally,
take driving very seriously and do everything I can think of to make sure I
don't plow anybody down. Unfortunately, when I - or any other driver - am
faced with having to make a sudden decision, I usually have to "prioritize"
my actions. Generally, leaning all the way over to my right to check the
passenger side for a low-rider ends up WAY down my priority list. The other
action that doesn't get as much attention as it should is checking the
shoulder around a turn to make sure there are no crazy kids plowing in my
direction on the wrong side of the road.

I guess what I'm saying is that EVERY road user, regardless of what type of
vehicle they are in, must share in the responsibility of keeping all users
safe. An automobile driver carries a big piece of that responsibility just
because of the size of his/her vehicle and how much damage it can do. But
auto drivers are limited by the capabilities of their vehicles and the
amount of visibility and flexibility a car provides. For this reason,
bicycle riders need to carry their own weight (i.e. ride on the correct side
of the road, obey traffic lights and signs, signal all turns) and bent
riders (based on their low visibility) need to do even more.

BTW, I don't agree with the previous poster who tagged bent riders as
"weirdos."

Old August 22nd 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Papa Tom" wrote:

I understand that you're a rider and you're trying to warn other
riders, but half the warning should be lofted in the driver's
direction, no?

Respectfully, I have to respond "NO."

Just like an empty hitch behind a car that speeds by you on the right
or left, a recumbant bike is invisible to a driver in a normal-sized
car.

What utter bull****. Have you ever actually driven a car? I drive a
Volvo 240 which is as normal sized as cars get. I've never had the
slightest problem seeing recumbents or kids, squirrels, curbs- all of
which are shorter than the recumbent.

There are certain requirements as to the heights of motorized
vehicles to protect everybody who uses the road. Recumbant bicycles,
if they want to be part of the road, should be required to meet
certain criteria, as well.

Can you see the stripes painted on the road out of your car window? The
recumbent rider is about four feet taller than the stripes. If you can't
see the recumbent, then you need your eyes examined.

"I didn't see him" is just driver code for "I wasn't paying attention."
Old August 22nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

What utter bull****. Have you ever actually driven a car?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before this conversation ended up in the
gutter. At this point, my friends, I say "Thank you and goodnight. I'm
outta here!"

Old August 22nd 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_12_]

Hey, Tom, In the last week, I have seen two men in motorized wheelchairs
riding down the street. When we are driving, it is up to US not to hit
anyone.

Pat in TX

Old August 22nd 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 21, 9:17*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Hey, Tom, In the last week, I have seen two men in motorized wheelchairs
riding down the street. When we are driving, it is up to US not to hit
anyone.

It's also up to the guys in the motorized wheelchairs not to hit you.