Riders off! Norman Taylor and Ian Hibell

Old September 3rd 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.tech
David Dermott

Default Riders off! Norman Taylor and Ian Hibell

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, David Dermott wrote:

I am now looking at the cover of BICYCLING magazine, Oct. 1980.
It's a picture of Ian Hibell cycling in the Sahara.

PS
The cover photo shows a "Cammack" touring bicycle. I hadn't
heard of that name before, but here it is, along with
the same photos that were in the Oct 1980 magazine:

http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/ih_cammack.htm

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:
Old September 4th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.tech
David Dermott

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Mark wrote:

* * Chas wrote:
Didn't Ian Hibell also ride from Europe to India in the mid 70s and report
on his adventures in Bicycling Magazine? I especially remember the article
about crossing Afghanistan.

I think the 70's Buycycling series was by John Rakowski (spelling?). At
least, I know there /was/ such a series by J.R.; don't remember two separate
series in that timeframe.

Amazing that I didn't throw these old magazines out last week!
John Rakowski wrote a series "On The Edge of America" for BICYCLING
in 1979-1980. He rode around the perimeter of USA.

Also in the June 1980 issue there is an article about Ian Hibell
by Martin Houk, "An Adventure Cyclist of the First Order"

It is very nostalgic to look at Bicycling magazine from that era.
There were lots of articles about bicycle touring; nowadays most people,
including bicycle shop owners, don't even know what
a touring bike is!

Ian Hibbel is mentioned in the Wikipedia article about "Darien Gap"
but there is no article about Ian Hibell himself- any volunteers??
He should be listed in Category:Touring Cyclists, along with Josie Dew,
Dervla Murphy, Dan Henry, Paul de Vivie , etc.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html

Riders off! Norman Taylor and Ian Hibell Tim McNamara Techniques 11 September 4th 08 03:08 PM
Taylor Phinney Carmella the Roach Killer Racing 41 July 22nd 08 06:09 PM
The next Taylor Phinney? stig Racing 7 April 15th 08 05:19 AM
Other riders in new Major Taylor biography [email protected] Techniques 21 March 21st 08 11:17 PM
TIME'S UP! Responds to NYC's Actions and Statement by Norman Siegel Jym Dyer Social Issues 75 June 19th 05 01:50 PM